Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Auden Bowman - Chester string spacing - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Auden Bowman - Chester string spacing

I have a Bowman and a Chester here - Both 43mm and exact same string spacing at the nut .

At the bridge there is a huge difference, Chester being much, much wider string spacing.
 Is this normal ?

Chester also has a much fuller neck than the Bowman but the string spacing is awkward for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    how much is "much much"   its not uncommon for similar "nut string spacing" to be 5mm + different at the bridge
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    Hmm...maybe take domed measurements to illustrate your issue? 

:) 
  • Signman62Signman62 Frets: 25
    I think you miss understood Bertie - I meant the string spacing between the Bowman and Chester.

Both are same at the nut but very different to each other at the bridge.
    Chester having much wider string spacing.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited June 2023
    Signman62 said:
    I think you miss understood Bertie - I meant the string spacing between the Bowman and Chester.

Both are same at the nut but very different to each other at the bridge.
    Chester having much wider string spacing.
    no, I didnt,  

a difference in the same model,  yes that would be "strange"  in different models, even from the same maker ?  No,  dependent on how much difference.     a few mm even 5 or more,  not strange at all.  

Many guitars from different makes can have the same spacing at the nut but can vary at the bridge   - as I said earlier,  how much is "much much" ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited June 2023
    @signman so what is it about the difference that bothers you, exactly?

EDIT: different string spacing at the bridge can vary and that's normal. I wouldn't worry about it. 
    edited June 2023
    I've owned many guitar's over the year's.

I'm used to Martin string spacing on acoustic's.

It just feel's alien atm.
    I can play 11/16'' or 3/4'' nut size and neck profile is not really an issue.
    But I'm feeling this for sure. 

Added pic below.
    This seem normal then ?

My first Auden experience.
    edited June 2023
    https://i.imgur.com/5hoAI3x.jpg

Image showing Bowman bridge and saddle.
     The over lay is the Chester String spacing in ink.

Same size bridge on both guitar's - just Chester drilled for much wider spacing.

@Signman62 I'd say that spacing is different but not necessarily wrong. 

Fingerstyle guitarists often seek out guitars with wider string spacing at the bridge. 

Mellish said:
    @Signman62 I'd say that spacing is different but not necessarily wrong. 

Fingerstyle guitarists often seek out guitars with wider string spacing at the bridge. 

Generally wider nut too, not in this case though.

@Signman62 well if you want to change string spacing at the bridge, it's bridge off, bridge plate out, plug the holes in the top and go again. 

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    Interesting. I have two Audens, A Marlowe (14-fret parlour) and a Colton (Dreadnought). String spacing at the nut and bridge on both looks pretty much the same when measured with a ruler.
    Interesting. I have two Audens, A Marlowe (14-fret parlour) and a Colton (Dreadnought). String spacing at the nut and bridge on both looks pretty much the same when measured with a ruler.
    Been playing 45 yrs and owned heaps of guitar's..this just felt odd. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    Maybe speak to Auden about it, they're nice blokes and very approachable.