Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). One guitar sound for all covers? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

One guitar sound for all covers?

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
edited June 2023 in Live
Played a local community/family day gig this weekend. Back of a wagon job. Was a lovely day and we had a great time. We played during the mid afternoon, a couple of other bands on.

Last band on were doing the usual rock/soul/classic covers but what was odd was the guitarist used exactly the same guitar sound for every single song, from Proud Mary to SCoM to Alright Now to Uptown Funk….full on metal grind. Pretty odd really. 

Anyone else on here use the same sound for every cover they do??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Sounds like our set. I went through everything from every Gibson, Fender, Charvel etc and settled (after 25 years) on a PRS Vela. splittable HB, Gretsch single coil. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    Sounds like our set. I went through everything from every Gibson, Fender, Charvel etc and settled (after 25 years) on a PRS Vela. splittable HB, Gretsch single coil. 
    One guitar is fine…..but do you use the same tone/sound for every song?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I've got a generic rock sound that can be used for a wide range of stuff, but I wouldn't use a full on metal tone for everything.
    Unless I was actually in a covers band that did metal covers of pop songs like Leo / Frogleap Studios does.

Mind you - one person's metal tone is early Judas Priest, and another person's is Meshuggah.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    edited June 2023
    No way! The pleasure of playing covers is the variety of styles you get to experience. Same guitar. Same amp and speakers. There’s so much you can do with amp and FX settings. Then there’s the different ways you play the instrument.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I don’t touch the amp and will use the same guitar but constantly change pickups, vary the gain, use fingers or pick  and add a touch of delay here and there 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Mind you - one person's metal tone is early Judas Priest, and another person's is Meshuggah.
    Fair point. For reference it made sense in SCoM, less so in Livin’ La Vida Loca.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I remember years ago having worked out little variations for each song using the positions on my strat and my couple of pedals and hearing a tape back of the gig and realising that everything sounded exactly the same. Although I basically continued on that path part of me knew that a lot of this stuff just gets lost in the mix and you either need big changes (eg massive fuzz) or no changes. 
    Anyway, yes some people use far too much distortion for what they are playing. If you are compressing the hell out of your signal and have loads of sustain then a lot of things become easier to play. They just sound crap. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited June 2023
    I remember years ago having worked out little variations for each song using the positions on my strat and my couple of pedals and hearing a tape back of the gig and realising that everything sounded exactly the same. Although I basically continued on that path part of me knew that a lot of this stuff just gets lost in the mix and you either need big changes (eg massive fuzz) or no changes. 
    Anyway, yes some people use far too much distortion for what they are playing. If you are compressing the hell out of your signal and have loads of sustain then a lot of things become easier to play. They just sound crap. 
    I've found exactly the same listening back to live recordings. So much of what we think is important and will change the sound just gets absolutely lost in the barrage of noise once the drums and bass kick in.
    Hearing it back I couldn't tell if my chorus was on or off sometimes once the full band were playing... sh*it ..sometimes I didn't  even know if I had distortion on or off at some points !! Subtle effect changes just get lost ( I can always tell when I'm using a wah though!). 

I do all the stuff Danny1969 states in his post above - I mean that 's right and proper electrical guitar playing and technique ? but ... I do sometimes wonder for who's benefit I'm doing it for...and if I'd be better off a) staying on my bridge pickup all night b) leaving my guitar volume knob alone  b) taking less gear to gigs !
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They had some pedals on the floor they were taping on occasionally and it was all miced up through a decent PA but I detected no difference in tone through their entire set….decent enough gear (Engl amp) and an ok player….clearly not just a beginner.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Rowby1 said:
    One guitar is fine…..but do you use the same tone/sound for every song?
    I use HX, so can go from AC30 to MESA instantly, so coupled with a versatile guitar, everything is there.  . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited June 2023
    I think it's fine if it sounds good.

I mean, if it was acoustic guitar that would be OK right? 
    edited June 2023

No I don’t think it would. SCoM and Alright Now on acoustic (for example) would have been equally as strange I think. 

And I think the first comment is exactly my point….it didn’t.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Rowby1 said:

No I don’t think it would. SCoM and Alright Now on acoustic (for example) would have been equally as strange I think. 

Slash & Myles Kennedy - Sweet Child O' Mine (ACOUSTIC) | SiriusXM | Octane - YouTube
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    edited June 2023
    CaseOfAce said:
    Rowby1 said:

Slash & Myles Kennedy - Sweet Child O' Mine (ACOUSTIC) | SiriusXM | Octane - YouTube
    I’m not saying you can’t play those songs on acoustic guitar. This was a four piece band with bass, drums, 1 guitar and vocal. 

What I’m questioning is why a guitarist in a covers band doing a broad variety of songs would choose to use the same sound/tone for every song. 
  • As long as the crowd are having a good time and the band are locked in, guitar sound isn't a priority anymore.  
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Rowby1 said:

I just meant in general, if you were doing an acoustic set of covers. Would you expect different guitars for each tune? 

If it sounded crap then fair enough, that's crap.
    Could be done though, is my point
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    edited June 2023
    I used the same equipment and basic sound for every song and every band smiley 

1 amp with clean and dirty channel operated by foot switch
    1 mild overdrive pedal to use with either clean or dirty channel

And like others above vary pickups, volume, picking dynamics, etc to get tone and volume variation. 

Prolly only sounds different in my ears though,  prolly just sound like loud rock with far too many guitar solos to anyone else lol 
    Rowby1 said:

I just meant in general, if you were doing an acoustic set of covers. Would you expect different guitars for each tune? 

If it sounded crap then fair enough, that's crap.
    Could be done though, is my point
    In fact there was an acoustic duo on as well in the afternoon doing exactly that…..and doing it really well too! Their arrangements were adjusted well for the two acoustic guitars and voices. They were very good!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I did hundreds of cover gigs with one guitar and 4 sounds:
    Compressed funk clean
    Gritty crunchy clean / dirty
    Plexi rock sound
    Mega shred 

and a boost and delay pedal for solos.

If I was more of a "ride the volume" sort of a guy I could have used less. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I’m playing covers and at present I’m using a clean amp with a dual overdrive pedal. That gives me clean amp, two gain stages and I use a klone to boost any of the three.

I’ve also got delay and chorus pedals, and reverb and tremolo from my amp. I wouldn’t dream of just playing everything with one sound, I think that’s pretty lazy.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I use only the green channel of a Victory Kraken. I find that using different EQ tweaks in front of it from a Boss GT100 I can easily have 3 basic breakup/crunch/gain tones which are all based around the same basic sound and further influenced by playing dynamics. Because I sing I find having preset EQs easier than fiddling with the volume knob for songs that go from clean to drive and back and forth.

I also have a high output bridge pickup and low output neck so get a lot more variety with the selector switch.

This covers everything from Talking Heads to REM to ACDC to Green Day/Whitesnake and beyond. Perhaps it's a bit more rocky for the cleaner tones but it fits with how we play.
    I use only the green channel of a Victory Kraken. I find that using different EQ tweaks in front of it from a Boss GT100 I can easily have 3 basic breakup/crunch/gain tones which are all based around the same basic sound and further influenced by playing dynamics. Because I sing I find having preset EQs easier than fiddling with the volume knob for songs that go from clean to drive and back and forth.

I also have a high output bridge pickup and low output neck so get a lot more variety with the selector switch.

This covers everything from Talking Heads to REM to ACDC to Green Day/Whitesnake and beyond. Perhaps it's a bit more rocky for the cleaner tones but it fits with how we play.
    Ooh which Whitesnake songs do you play Mr Pie?
    I use only the green channel of a Victory Kraken.....

At the moment just Fool For Your Loving (1980 version but with more of an 87 guitar tone)

And I'm sure you'll approve that we do it with two guitar solos seeing as there are two of us on guitar
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    If I played in a covers band I could probably cover most tones with my HSS strat, which the humbucker can be coil spilt for the twangy tones. I'd use my Kemper and can switch amps instantly but I'd still take a Les Paul too for tunes like Sweet Child and any Oasis numbers. I'd likely to be using a JCM800 for most stuff.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    For my own amusement I decided to change up my equipment for a gig I played at the weekend. I have an old DOD multi effects pedal unit so I thought I’d programme in some presets to cover what I normally do with my standard pedal board. Despite me using 3 main sounds (clean, crunch & solo) I was pretty surprised to find that I filled about 30 preset slots on the fx unit to cover what I do. 

At the moment just Fool For Your Loving (1980 version but with more of an 87 guitar tone)

And I'm sure you'll approve that we do it with two guitar solos seeing as there are two of us on guitar
    Splendid song, bet it sounds great.   We play Crying In The Rain and I muddle through about 50%of the notes in John Sykes' solo :lol: 
  • EvoEvo Frets: 292
    I was in a covers band where the singer/band leader seemed to think that anything above "tube screamer into a cranked fender deluxe" was childish, immature, and not appropriate for a "professional act". 

If I ever ventured into even plexi gain levels, I'd get a lecture via text the next day. 

One thing I did note, was that the audience never cared at all. The only time I have ever had compliments or criticisms about tone was from musicians. 

Maybe worth bearing in mind?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Evo said:
    I was in a covers band where the singer/band leader seemed to think that anything above "tube screamer into a cranked fender deluxe" was childish, immature, and not appropriate for a "professional act". 

If I ever ventured into even plexi gain levels, I'd get a lecture via text the next day. 

One thing I did note, was that the audience never cared at all. The only time I have ever had compliments or criticisms about tone was from musicians. 

Maybe worth bearing in mind?
    I have come across this myself when mixing professional corporate circuit covers bands. They do cover a few big hitters like Sweet child and Living on a prayer but they they tame it down a bit guitar wise and it sounds like The Eagles are attacking these songs .. kinda wrong. 
    My view is never apologise for being on stage. Some songs need an aggressive very distorted tone so just use one. That aggression is part of the songs appeal IMHO so there's nothing professional or clever about trying to tame it down. 

I know we always say the audience doesn't care. They don't care about the tone, they don't notice if the drummer is a bit unsteady, they don't care if you can't play the solo's note for note or that the singer is ca bit pitchy here and there. 

The way I see it is,  if this is true then why are some bands pulling in 1.5K a night and some struggling to pull £500 ? :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Splendid song, bet it sounds great.   We play Crying In The Rain and I muddle through about 50%of the notes in John Sykes' solo :lol: 
    Yeah... I'll stick with Moody/Marsden solos and not bother with Sykes or Vai!

FFYL goes down a treat with the punters. Such a good number and great fun to play
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    We have the opposite issue - guitarist that always plays really clean and almost always on neck/neck&middle pickups even for rock stuff. And little-to-no ability to dig in for a bit of aggression with the right hand either. 

It is hard work…. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires