Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Download Festival 2023 - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Download Festival 2023

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I live 15 miles away and heard it quite well. Seemed alot louder than previous years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Wind direction has been different this year. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 122
    edited June 2023
    Metallica brought 6 massive towers with them, each had an array of speakers which might have been the reason it was so loud this year.

Personally, I had a great time, yeah there were some sound issues now and again but not enough to spoil any performances I saw.

The price of food and drink was a joke and the amount of chairs too close to the main stages needs looking in to. We had weekend arena tickets and I drove (live only 25 miles away) so I brought my own food & drink with me.

Went mainly for Metallica but saw some other good bands, Bad Religion, Green Lung, Within Tempation, Alter Bridge, Slipknot, Placebo put on a good show. Stand out band for me was Ghost, they could've easily headlined the mainstage, wasn't a fan before but will get tickets when they're next in the UK.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited June 2023
    I went the Saturday only, it was fuckin mint, 5 people from the barrier for Metallica and loved it. Thought they were patchy in places but they always are on and off, but once they got through Bells the sound came together and James is on fire these days, comfy in his shoes and his role as the man. Couldn't do a whole festival nowadays, but for one day I was 17 again. Bliss....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• I went for 2 days this year.  I had a weekend ticket but, to be honest, the lineup for the Friday and Sunday wasn't good enough to warrant the travel to get there and back.

So, the positives:

- The atmosphere on the Saturday was incredible.  So many people there made it very special.
    - The weather (albeit it was a bit hot saturday, but so so much better than if it was raining)
    - Metallica as headliners was brilliant and, for me, the ticket was great value for money considering the bands I did get to see (Metallica, Alter Bridge, Disturbed, Mammoth WVH, Ice Nine Kills, Placebo, Coheed and Cambria etc. etc). 
    - I saw some truly excellent smaller bands, Rituals were a real highlight.

The negatives:

- The sound at the dogtooth stage was truly horrific.  We saw Caskets there and couldn't hear a thing.  We nicknamed it the Dogshit stage it was so bad.
    - The sound for Metallica on the Saturday was very poor.  When they started I literally couldn't hear James' guitar.  At all. We genuinely thought his amp had failed.  We then moved 100m or so to the right and could hear James' guitar, but it was still very quiet.  Kirk's guitar completely overpowered everything, and he wasn't playing that well!
    - The traffic management was abysmal.  I drove to Derby and caught the shuttle bus from the train station.  On the Thursday it took aout 30 minutes to do the 6 miles to the airport, and then 1 1/2 hours to do the 1/2 mile from the airport to Donington park. On the way back, I managed to get an earlier bus (thanks to my long legs and purposeful stride) but if I'd been only 5 minutes later I'd have likely been waiting well over an hour to get a bus.  It then took an hour and 15 minutes to do 7 miles.
    - The facilities were poor.  By the Saturday people were just pissing up fences etc, and the toilets were overflowing.  You had to walk through puddles of raw sewage to go for a piss.  In 30+ degree heat, that's really really unpleasant.  The water was non-existent.  The food was expensive and pretty average.
    - If I ever see one more advert for BMTH Genxsis I'm going to murder someone.
    - Coheed and Cambria were incredible.  I would go as far as to say the best band of the weekend.  For some reason known only to the organisers, they were put in a tent, with a tiny stage.  You couldn't get near the place.  They should have been on a much bigger stage.
    - The lineup was pretty average, to be honest.  BMTH are not my thing, that's fine.  But outside the headliner for each day, and the key sub-headliner, there wasn't that much to get me excited.

All in all, I would say I had a good time, but I'm in no rush to go back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I went for 2 days this year.  I had a weekend ticket but, to be honest, the lineup for the Friday and Sunday wasn't good enough to warrant the travel to get there and back.

So, the positives:

- The atmosphere on the Saturday was incredible.  So many people there made it very special.
    - The weather (albeit it was a bit hot saturday, but so so much better than if it was raining)
    - Metallica as headliners was brilliant and, for me, the ticket was great value for money considering the bands I did get to see (Metallica, Alter Bridge, Disturbed, Mammoth WVH, Ice Nine Kills, Placebo, Coheed and Cambria etc. etc). 
    - I saw some truly excellent smaller bands, Rituals were a real highlight.

The negatives:

- The sound at the dogtooth stage was truly horrific.  We saw Caskets there and couldn't hear a thing.  We nicknamed it the Dogshit stage it was so bad.
    - The sound for Metallica on the Saturday was very poor.  When they started I literally couldn't hear James' guitar.  At all. We genuinely thought his amp had failed.  We then moved 100m or so to the right and could hear James' guitar, but it was still very quiet.  Kirk's guitar completely overpowered everything, and he wasn't playing that well!
    - The traffic management was abysmal.  I drove to Derby and caught the shuttle bus from the train station.  On the Thursday it took aout 30 minutes to do the 6 miles to the airport, and then 1 1/2 hours to do the 1/2 mile from the airport to Donington park. On the way back, I managed to get an earlier bus (thanks to my long legs and purposeful stride) but if I'd been only 5 minutes later I'd have likely been waiting well over an hour to get a bus.  It then took an hour and 15 minutes to do 7 miles.
    - The facilities were poor.  By the Saturday people were just pissing up fences etc, and the toilets were overflowing.  You had to walk through puddles of raw sewage to go for a piss.  In 30+ degree heat, that's really really unpleasant.  The water was non-existent.  The food was expensive and pretty average.
    - If I ever see one more advert for BMTH Genxsis I'm going to murder someone.
    - Coheed and Cambria were incredible.  I would go as far as to say the best band of the weekend.  For some reason known only to the organisers, they were put in a tent, with a tiny stage.  You couldn't get near the place.  They should have been on a much bigger stage.
    - The lineup was pretty average, to be honest.  BMTH are not my thing, that's fine.  But outside the headliner for each day, and the key sub-headliner, there wasn't that much to get me excited.

All in all, I would say I had a good time, but I'm in no rush to go back
    Were you on the R hand side of the stage by any chance @PearlsPreserve ?

I was stage front at the right hand side and yeah, James's guitar was absent on Whiplash, then suddenly during Bells it seemed like someone plugged something in. After that it was quiet and Kirk's tone was super hot but I thought it was because I was down the front. It all balanced up a bit later in the set, but Kirk was still a little too loud (not enough to put me off) and yeah, plenty of clams :)

Still loved it TBF, also I didn't find water an issue bar the queue I guess, also thought the Gyros were nice (if a little pricey) as were the bubble waffles!!

• @Boromedic ; I was stage right or, if looking at the stage, on the left hand side (i.e. towards the second stage).  We then moved right more towards centre stage and it was just right of centre where we settled and could just about hear James' guitar.  

And I did notice that the sound faded in and out at points, like it was being blown away by the wind.  It was strange.  

As you say, I still loved it.  I went home Thursday and Saturday absolutely knackered, with no voice, and some truly great memories.  I am just very very glad I wasn't camping like a couple of friends were.  They were in the quiet camp, and had pre-paid for parking near the camp.  Parking was full when they arrived, and they were sent to a car park 7 miles away from their campsite.  They had to lug their camping gear, food, and drink, oveer 7 miles (took them 2 1/2 hours) in the heat.  An absolute shitshow
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    @Boromedic ; I was stage right or, if looking at the stage, on the left hand side (i.e. towards the second stage).  We then moved right more towards centre stage and it was just right of centre where we settled and could just about hear James' guitar.  

And I did notice that the sound faded in and out at points, like it was being blown away by the wind.  It was strange.  

As you say, I still loved it.  I went home Thursday and Saturday absolutely knackered, with no voice, and some truly great memories.  I am just very very glad I wasn't camping like a couple of friends were.  They were in the quiet camp, and had pre-paid for parking near the camp.  Parking was full when they arrived, and they were sent to a car park 7 miles away from their campsite.  They had to lug their camping gear, food, and drink, oveer 7 miles (took them 2 1/2 hours) in the heat.  An absolute shitshow
    We done exactly the same, pre paid west car park, quiet camping, got parked in East. 
    Agree with everything else you said too. 

What disappointed me was that this was billed as 20 year anniversary 4 dayer. Yet overall they only had 9 more bands than last year. A whole day, 4 stages and only 9 more bands, for all that extra ticket money?!
    Plus you'd think after 20 years they would have the basics nailed by now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Whoever mixes Metallica's live vids for YT does a top job.
    edited June 2023
    Whoever "fixes" Metallica's live vids for YT does a top job.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Boromedic said:
    Is there an element of that? Or rerecording?
    edited June 2023
    Boromedic said:
    Is there an element of that? Or rerecording?
    It's an admitted fact that they routinely edit the live sound recordings by patching in other live recordings over mistakes. So they don't re-record them as such, but use previously recorded good live songs to make them better. They've done it really since the early/mid 2000s. See the Mike Gillies interview on Metal Up Your Podcast :)

@Boromedic never knew that. I suppose they did sound too polished and good to be true. I will have to find some live Metallica stuff warts and all then, pre 2000s.
    Live Shit is pretty warts and all TBF.....

Boromedic said:
    I can't get over James' juvenile banter between songs. Of its time I suppose, and most likely he was pissed drunk.
    Boromedic said:
    I can't get over James' juvenile banter between songs. Of its time I suppose, and most likely he was pissed drunk.
    Defo drunk, but I know what you mean. Seattle is a fuckin great show though :)

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Boromedic said:
    Saw this on sm today.   It’s pretty damning…

https://www.facebook.com/reel/6247851455313173?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V
    edited June 2023
    RobDavies said:
    Boromedic said:
    Saw this on sm today.   It’s pretty damning…

https://www.facebook.com/reel/6247851455313173?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V
    Hahaha, yeah I watched this last week on Insta, the comments made me laugh too. I was there and it sounded exactly like the phone clip not the official video.  Not sure what the folk in there are smoking who defended Lars.

Now, it may come as a surprise to some of you.... But I'm a massive Metallica fan

Thing is though, despite that you've gotta be honest and this isn't is it? I get massaging things a bit, maybe drag a vocal up or a guitar whatever, but this is probably too far for me. I still had a great time either way, and they've been better live since playing with a click, but that signature part in One has been out of Lars reach for a good while now. 

Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:
    Defo drunk, but I know what you mean. Seattle is a fuckin great show though :)
    It is brilliant. At their peak. I also enjoyed the Woodstock 94 set, with all its mistakes etc. Seattle show has what could be considered a "homophobic slur" in one part. I am surprised they didn't get it edited out or were cancelled for it! :)
    There is also a clip, not sure if it is Seattle or Mexico gig where James passes some REALLY snide comments to Jason before a song. Again, it sounds like he is loaded up on the booze so won't hold it against him.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    There is also a clip, not sure if it is Seattle or Mexico gig where James passes some REALLY snide comments to Jason before a song. Again, it sounds like he is loaded up on the booze so won't hold it against him.
    Being pissed doesn't excuse you from saying crap in front of an audience, frankly.  Just ask Eric Clapton...
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    I watched a YT Metallica clip last week and said to myself "Maybe I'm being harsh on Lars, he played that song better than I've heard recently". Well now I know why. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I can't honestly tell a good drumming performance from a bad one, but even I might have noticed something wrong in the undoctored part of that clip @RobDavies posted, it's a bit of a shocker.