Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Harley Benton Solderless cables - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Harley Benton Solderless cables

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 875
I got one of their kits a while back and just got round to using it. It’s really good! First time I’ve tried these solderless cables - so easy, and I finally have cables the length I need! 17 Euros for the kit. Can’t complain.  
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited June 2023
    Are these the set that comes with right-angled plugs to make your own patch cables?

I watched the official Thomann video and looked at the "Quick Start Guide", and all you apparently need to do is cut the cable, push it into the plug, and tighten the screw.  I assume that there is a centre connector for the centre core wire and one around the internal circumference of the plug that contacts the braided shield, as long as the cable is pushed into the hole firmly and far enough.  I did notice in the video that the demonstrator mentioned two things:

1. Don't use the supplied wire cutter as it's hard to cut the cable absolutely "square" at the end without proper cutters.
    2. Twist the cable as you push it into the plug, presumably to push the bare wires firmly against the connectors.

One of the comments on the product page mentions that the cables failed after 2 live performances, and the commenter raised a distinction between "rigours of being on the road and bundled on and off buses" and "home use".  Frankly I don't see the difference because I would have thought that home users these days are just as likely, and possibly more inclined, to be constantly swapping pedals and introducing strain on the connections.  As long as a pedal board is in a case on the road it shouldn't be straining the cables while being bundled on and off buses or in and out of cars.  No doubt time will tell in your case.

I would be curious to see the internal connectors in the plug to see whether other cable can be used with the plugs.  Potentially there could be a difference in how thick the insulation layers of the cable are and therefore where the circle of braided wire lies to make contact with the connector.

It certainly looks really straightforward to assemble the cables and I hope they work well for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    I've been using George Ls for 15 years now. I've had one or two failures when actually building the cable, but no failures in use. Once it's on the board it stays there and works until I take it off. These HB alternatives are interesting for me because the plugs look a little "lower profile" when plugged in than the George L right-angle plug. And less expensive. 

I'm a happy "solderless" patch cable user. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 875
    Yeah, I couldn’t get the supplied cutter to cut but I have a semi decent pair of wire cutters so I just used those and it seemed to work fine. Just pushed the cable in as far as it would go and tightened up the screw with the little supplied screwdriver. Seemed to work. I made 3 and they all worked. The plugs come across as really solid. All metal and the screw tightens up in a nicely solid and reassuring way. All good. They are super low profile and the cable is thin and much tidier than standard patch cables. I’ll report back if they fail. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 162
    I got four packs of the HB ones a few months ago. Not a single failure making them and I've unplugged/plugged them, ragged them around and generally not treated them with too much care and still not had an issue. Cant say the same for the George L's I had years ago.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    The HB plugs look to be the same as the Rayzm plugs. I've had one failure so far, but then I haven't really being playing for the last 2 years.
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 50
    I've a bunch of these, had two plugs break in two when removing them.  Overall, still pretty happy, they use 4mm cable, so I have them mixed with the pedalpatch ones.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 875
    edited September 2023
    Is it possible to buy just the cable for these kits?

[edit]...looks like this might work: https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_patchworks_solderless_cable_6.htm
  • Is it possible to buy just the cable for these kits?

[edit]...looks like this might work: https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_patchworks_solderless_cable_6.htm
    FYI - it doesn't. The cable is too thick.
  • Is it possible to buy just the cable for these kits?

FYI - it doesn't. The cable is too thick.
    Actually - correction - it does work. It's just a tad snugger and requires a bit more screwing. But I made up 5 cables with it just now and they all work.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter