Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help needed from Beatles experts - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Help needed from Beatles experts

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4843
The Horslips put out an album called Tracks From The Vaults. One song on that album interests me: Come Back Beatles (Lipstick).  The song has riffs from a number of Beatles songs in it. I recognise Day Tripper and Paperback Writer but I don’t know much of the Beatles songs and can’t recognise the other riffs in the song. I just know that they are Beatles riffs. The song is available online, Spotify or other platform, and I would appreciate it if you give it a listen and name the riffs. Thanks ever so much. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Tell you what, you listen to the Beatles, and I’ll listen to the horslips. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Sounded like a Byrds b-side interspersed with:
    • Day Tripper
    • Ticket To Ride
    • Paperback Writer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited June 2023
    The lyric is actually “won’t you please, please help me”. 

Edit - ah I misunderstood the thread title. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Tell you what, you listen to the Beatles, and I’ll listen to the horslips. 

No problem my friend, I do have a number of Beatles CDs but the garden has priority these days, I don’t have the time to go through the lot. Hence my request here. But thanks for your input. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Q: How do you make a horslip?
    A: drop some grease on the floor.

Try the fish etc etc.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I've seen a few horslips in my time but this is a family site.
  • Rocker said:

No problem my friend, I do have a number of Beatles CDs but the garden has priority these days, I don’t have the time to go through the lot. Hence my request here. But thanks for your input. 
    You don’t have the time to listen to one of the most influential bands of all time?

Enjoy your garden. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Rocker said:

You don’t have the time to listen to one of the most influential bands of all time?

Enjoy your garden. 
    Genuinely laughed out loud then, definitely a ‘what would Lennon say?’ moment. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Horslips were very much loved in the 1970s in Ireland. The song Come Back Beatles was their tribute to the Beatles. I would like to know what songs or riffs are included in this song. 

FWIIW my music tastes are Country, Irish and mainstream. And classical piano. I would like to have enough free time to listen to my Beatles CDs but this song is a path to learning more about the Beatles. 

Try listening to and playing some Horslips songs, Dearg Doom for a start. Very popular in pubs all over Ireland. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    ok, we’ll I’ve listened…

The opening is very Help-era / Ticket to Ride sounding but not actually a Beatles riff. 

1:14 is Day Tripper 
    2:18 is very nearly Ticket to Ride but not quite 100% right
    2:43 is Paperback Writer

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thank you @stickyfiddle, the opening phrase (and it repeats is open A, open D, barre the G and B strings at the fifth fret with a few notes played on the B and G strings.  This is from memory as I do not have a guitar to hand.

I learned that short riff years ago in the hope it might fit somewhere but no joy to date....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    viz said:
    The lyric is actually “won’t you please, please help me”. 

Edit - ah I misunderstood the thread title. 
    Now that’s funny