Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Stupidly-Expensive Box Set Day - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Stupidly-Expensive Box Set Day

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
edited June 2023 in Music

Wishbone Ash - Argus 50th Anniversary Edition.

I don't normally buy super-deluxe editions of albums - in fact I think this is the very first time I've bought one with the LPs and CDs.  I don't even have a turntable to play the vinyl.

But of all the bands whose stuff I collect, Wishbone Ash is my most collect-y.  Or collect-iest.  I've got pretty much everything.  And it is my birthday next week.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Nice. Now go buy a turntable. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nah, no rush.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  Philly_Q said:
    Nah, no rush.
    Just buy a nice pressing of 2112.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
     Philly_Q said:
    Nah, no rush.
    They're doing them cheap at Argus.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
     Philly_Q said:
    Nah, no rush.
    D'you know what, it took me a few seconds to get that...  :3   I actually have got 2112 on vinyl, and all the other early Rush albums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I could never get into them. A band I should have liked but t just didn't happen.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Good for you for going for what you want.
    I really don't suppose that you actually got edition 0001 & that photo is a publicity shot? Or are you Mr.Lucky McLuck of Lucktown?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Nice - Happy Birthday for next week :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    ...and nothing wrong with a nice box set.

I'm sitting next to a shelf with the new Ocean Colour Scene CD box set and the insane Mansun box set from a couple of years back.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    edited June 2023
    Good for you for going for what you want.
    I really don't suppose that you actually got edition 0001 & that photo is a publicity shot? Or are you Mr.Lucky McLuck of Lucktown?
    It's just a publicity shot, I have no photography skills.  Haven't checked what number mine is yet.  It could be an empty box.  

Edit: 2141.  And all present and correct.
    @darthed1981 thanks!  I'm even older than this album. :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited July 2023
    Was admiring my Dream Theater collection earlier - a few box sets there

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    IMG_2645.jpeg 373.5K
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Nice. Now go buy a turntable. 
    Yep.  Check out my footer :-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    How are we supposed to judge how stupidly expensive your purchase was unless you mention its price?
    Be seeing you.
    How are we supposed to judge how stupidly expensive your purchase was unless you mention its price?
    £125 plus postage.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Congratulations  box sets are cool 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    I have absolutely no idea what that album sounds like, but I’ve always loved the cover for some reason.   
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Huge Wishbone Ash fan here. I saw them many times in the 70s. There sound system back then was incredible.
    Live Dates is one of my absolute favourite live albums, Andy Powell's lead guitst work on that just soars, he so melodic.
    That's a great collection you've got there. 

Andy kicking off off at 3:44 into his beautiful solo on Throw Down The Sword.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    I slightly prefer Live Dates 2 and the Laurie Wisefield period in general, but I think Argus probably is their best album. Lots of the others are great though!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    One of the first gigs I went to was Wishbone Ash's Just Testing tour at Fairfield halls in Croydon. Confess I didn't know anything by them , but got a spare ticket from my neighbour

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited June 2023
    Must admit I've never seen them live. Although I had one or two of the albums in my teens, I only seriously got into them about 15 years ago.  Probably could have seen the recent lineups, but I don't really go to gigs nowadays.

Some friends of mine went to see them on the Number the Brave tour with Jonah Wetton, but for some reason I didn't go.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    Some friends of mine went to see them on the Number the Brave tour with Jonah Wetton, but for some reason I didn't go.
    Is Jonah related in any way to John? :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Fuck, I don't usually post on a device with auto-correct. And my eyesight's not the best.  Even more annoyingly, I double-checked that I'd spelled "Wetton" correctly because I thought the phone would do something weird to it.

Yes, he's his brother.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    A perfect album
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Philly_Q said:
    I slightly prefer Live Dates 2 and the Laurie Wisefield period in general, but I think Argus probably is their best album. Lots of the others are great though!
    Whereas I always preferred the Ted Turner era material. Although Laurie was a great replacement for Ted and a terrific guitarist, their songs got a bit weaker and more polite-rock after TT left. Argus was the band at their peak for me.