Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jazzmaster pickup covers - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jazzmaster pickup covers

What's Hot
Anybody got a view on the sonic differences between plastic covers with holes or covers with no holes? I want to replace the buff coloured covers on my Harley Benton JA-60 for white ones - purely for aesthetic reasons but I don't want to change the rather splendid sound of them.

cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited June 2023
    The rod magnet polepieces protrude beyond the upper fibreboard bobbin plate. These would cause an unsightly bulge in closed covers. 

Polepiece spacing could be an issue. Measure before ordering replacements.

Depending on the finish colour, it might be wiser to keep the cream plastic parts and change the pickguard to red torty.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited June 2023
    sonically, no difference as long as the magnets are the same distance from the strings

to get around the bulge issue, cut some card to sit the same height as the magnets on top of the bobbin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Depending on the finish colour, it might be wiser to keep the cream plastic parts and change the pickguard to red torty.
    It's a Lake Placid Blue, never been keen on torty + I like the mint green one that's on it.

WezV said:
    sonically, do difference as long as the magnets are the same distance from the strings

to get around the bulge issue, cut some card to sit the same height as the magnets on top of the bobbin
    I'll get my round ended safety scissors out!

... thanks chaps, solid covers it is then!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    The rod magnet polepieces protrude beyond the upper fibreboard bobbin plate. These would cause an unsightly bulge in closed covers. 

Polepiece spacing could be an issue. Measure before ordering replacements.

Depending on the finish colour, it might be wiser to keep the cream plastic parts and change the pickguard to red torty.
    And nobody likes to see that!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • .... now then!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    an unsightly bulge
    And nobody likes to see that!
    Can ya tell what it is yit? ;)
    Be seeing you.