Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cormac McCarthy - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cormac McCarthy

NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65898867

Aged 89, so a good knock, but still...

No Country For Old Men is one of the best novels I've ever read.

RIP.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Nitefly said:

RIP.

Have you read Blood Meridian? 

RIP. His books are some of the finest I have ever read.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    edited June 2023
    All the Pretty Horses is superb, he was a wonderful gift to literature. RIP 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Nitefly said:

RIP.

Have you read Blood Meridian? 

RIP. His books are some of the finest I have ever read.  
    I haven't, @earwighoney , but I'll look out for more of his work.

• S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Cracking collection of books.  I've read most but not all.  The Road was one of the most depressing I've ever read :-D
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Never got him, to be honest.  Read All The Pretty Horses, The Road and No Country for Old Men.  Thought the first was pretty good but a slog to get through (I don't mind "difficult", I've read Joyce, Mann, Gide, Proust, Pound, Eliot etc, but the pay off has to be bigger to justify the effort and in this case it wasn't, for me.  I never read Blood Meridian as I feared more of the same).  The other two weren't difficult I just didn't think much of them.

Still, don't want to speak ill of the recently deceased and nothing against him personally - I know next to nothing about him as a human being.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited June 2023
    Have read The road and All the pretty Horses. Two of his books translate pretty well to the screen so you're not missing much by watching No country for old men or The road.