Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Analogman King of Tone current value in the classifieds? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Analogman King of Tone current value in the classifieds?

What's Hot
smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 137
Looking to get some guidance on how much the Analogman King of Tone is selling for around these parts at the moment? I've looked at completed listings prices on Ebay.. pretty crazy. But on here, how much is the current "standard" amount?
Basically, I'm looking to sell mine, and would rather do it on here than on ebay if possible!
Cheers,
Alex
Youtube vids and lessons... (blues, jazz, gypsy jazz, jump blues, world music, etc)

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited June 2023
    I'd put to you that the going rate in the classifieds here should be no more than what it cost you plus shipping/import duty what with us being a community not trying to turn a dollar out of each other. 

So might be better selling it on ebay or reverb. 

Others may disagree.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    soma1975 said:
    I'd put to you that the going rate in the classifieds here should be no more than what it cost you plus shipping/import duty what with us being a community not trying to turn a dollar out of each other. 

Others may disagree.
    All that will happen then is that the buyer will flip it for more.

And for all you know the OP might want to sell because he needs the money to pay for electricity or something.

With the nearly new but used prices as they are - sometimes reaching nearly £700, if he sells at what it cost him then he is actually undervaluing it and causing a loss to himself. He didn't cause those prices - the guitar community did. The ones who don't want to wait 5 years.

I wouldn't buy one at the used prices, but others will, and that is entirely their decision to do with their money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    soma1975 said:

Others may disagree.
    All that will happen then is that the buyer will flip it for more.

And for all you know the OP might want to sell because he needs the money to pay for electricity or something.

With the nearly new but used prices as they are - sometimes reaching nearly £700, if he sells at what it cost him then he is actually undervaluing it and causing a loss to himself. He didn't cause those prices - the guitar community did. The ones who don't want to wait 5 years.

I wouldn't buy one at the used prices, but others will, and that is entirely their decision to do with their money.
    All of that is totally valid and there are plenty of places to sell it at the 'market' value but this was a post about what to sell it for on here. 

As I said, others may disagree. I have had to sell plenty on here to make ends meet when bad times have come calling but I still try to price things fairly and am not out for the gouge on here because I treat it like a community. On eBay or similar it would be a totally different story. 

What someone does or doesn't do with the thing I have sold after I sold it isn't something I can base my life decisions on. 

But to each their own and everything. 

Edit: if the question had been how best to get the top dollar I can get for my pedal I'd have given a different answer. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think whilst is great for someone on the forum to sell something what it cost new + tax and duty, but i think the fairer number would be eBay or Reverb price minus their fees.

So the buyer gets it cheaper, the seller sell it within the community and not lose out on money.  This to me is the win win situation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That sounds like a fair way of handling it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The community thing works both ways. If someone lists something below market value then the community should inform that person that they are undervaluing their item.

We get the odd "good price" comment in the classifieds - but where are the "Mate, market value is at least another £100" responses? Then the seller can decide what to do - for their own private reasons.

If a person is willing to criticise a price for being too high, then they should also be the first to inform a seller that a price is too low.

That would be an even sided community. "Community" does not default to selling something cheap. That's just "take" - where is the "give"?

If the market rate is £650, then selling it at £550 is a community mates rates deal. Someone trying to buy it at list + import etc would be a piss take and is the opposite of community spirit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The 'give' is doing the same with the stuff you sell.  

I've no idea of the current price for a KOT direct but buying a Sunface direct about 4 years ago cost me about £150 over the list price in shipping and import duty and so all things being equal I assumed that would put the KOT vaguely at the pricepoint you stated above as being fair anyway. 

I believe people are discouraged (ie explicitly told by mods) from discussing the price of things in the classifieds section threads so nobody is criticising a listed price for being too high OR telling people to up their prices unless it is happening in DMs. Someone specifically asked what the rate should be in here and I gave an opinion about how I do things (whether it be on here on ebay) and also stated that other people might feel differently and that your earlier points were valid.

I'm not really sure what else you want from me. You do you, mate. No judgement. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry if I've been a bit harsh.

I've just seen so many nonsense "community" type posts where the person making that point seems to want it for only their benefit and not the other person's benefit.
    No worries. My approach to selling things on here is to act as though I am paying a rental on the gear I buy before passing it on, with the occasional Bobby Gillespie moment usually reserved for selling anonymously on ebay or reverb. 

I think most of the people I do repeat buys/sales with on here have a not dissimilar approach. 

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    edited June 2023
  • smogfalls said:
    Looking to get some guidance on how much the Analogman King of Tone is selling for around these parts at the moment? I've looked at completed listings prices on Ebay.. pretty crazy. But on here, how much is the current "standard" amount?
    Basically, I'm looking to sell mine, and would rather do it on here than on ebay if possible!
    Cheers,
    Alex
    Hey Alex. Personally I think you’ve priced things well in the past, and I bought from you and know you’re a great seller (and even better guitarist).

Really, it depends how fast you want to sell it. There are probably a few people here desperately thirsty for a KOT and maybe some shady folk who’ll just buy it and flip it. 

Choose wisely and price it accordingly and I know you’ll be sound. GLWTS. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    There are plenty of bedroom dealers on here who wouldn't hesitate to flip it for a huge mark-up.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Hi Alex,

£550 - £650 imho.

Unobtainium. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    If you sell it for eBay/Reverb price minus fees then then bedroom dealers won't bother, since they would need to sell it at eBay/Reverb prices to break even.  It would be a waste of time.

So, this way, the seller gets the price that he would get from eBay/Reverb, so fair market price.  The buyer gets something with a slight discount and the bedroom dealers would unlikely to be bothered as there is very little to no profit in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    If you sell it for eBay/Reverb price minus fees then then bedroom dealers won't bother, since they would need to sell it at eBay/Reverb prices to break even.  It would be a waste of time.

So, this way, the seller gets the price that he would get from eBay/Reverb, so fair market price.  The buyer gets something with a slight discount and the bedroom dealers would unlikely to be bothered as there is very little to no profit in it.
    Also totally cool to list it for that, but if some good mates from the forum make reasonable offers, let it go for less. Same as in the "real" world, more likely to cut someone a deal if you talk to them on a regular basis and so on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    I recently sold my BG crossroads on here for £675. Ignored the buyers I didn’t know and sold it to a long standing regular
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EasyriderEasyrider Frets: 8
    550- 650 depending on spec and condition.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Sassafras said:
    There are plenty of bedroom dealers on here who wouldn't hesitate to flip it for a huge mark-up.
    ...and I think that's where you have to be careful...not everyone ion the forum wants to be a community. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    edited July 2023
    Just realised I reached the top of the list. Will have to get around to ordering one sometime, but about to move house and will wait.
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I don't get why people pay these prices.
    I mean, I love the pedal.
    I have three of them but there is no way I'd pay more than a couple of hundred for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    I have three of them but there is no way I'd pay more than a couple of hundred for one.
    All the same or different options?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    octatonic said:
    All the same or different options?
    Yes, the same- two are on pedalboards, one is for studio use.
    High gain red side.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Fuzzdog will do you a kit with fancy options for about a ton

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/emperor 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires