Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). where to buy body blanks in the UK? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

where to buy body blanks in the UK?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited June 2023 in Making & Modding
anyone any recommendations? 

Ideally looking to spend around £40-£50  per blank... still learning so dosn't have to be high end but needs to come pre-glued and ready to go.

cheers

mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Probably eBay is your best option at that price.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    For that price with no glueing I would go with a one piece body from here.

https://www.reidtimber.co.uk/guitar-blanks

I would consider getting some clamps and a plane though.  Opens up the options a bit
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    @WezV thanks for that... I'll look into getting what i need to join two pieces...
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    I’ve seen a company called Booboo  Guitars on the web that do exactly that but I have no idea if they are any good tho.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I have had good blanks from guitar bass build, guitars and woods and David Dyke, but none as cheap as that I don't think 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    David Dyke has poplar or basswood blanks for just over 50 quid, 3 pieces joined for you. Plus vat and shipping mind. 

Booboo guitars is the b stock from Guitarbuild afaik
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    The cheapest I found before Brexit was Guitars and Wood in Portugal, I am sure now there will be some additional costs of duty vat etc but still have their painter-grade African mahogany one piece or less for a two piece also US pine thats pretty cheap. 

https://guitarsandwoods.com/tonewoods-blanks/Materials-Supplies-Tonewoods-Bodies-Blanks?page=7

I still use them for cheap wood but it's easier here in Spain as totally spoiled for wood. 

Also if you are going to be doing a lot of learning :-) then it may well be worth looking to buy a bit bigger for the year ahead I found most of the UK suppliers can do something if there is some volume in it. Also if you can do that, it pays to shop around hard to ask a supplier for your very best price on a single blank. Also, don't be too fussy about species see what else they have that is not a classic guitar wood blank. If you really need it cheap then buy by the meter and as Wez said buy a saw a plane and a few clamps and make your own.

Hope that may help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah, G&W were going to be my other suggestion

Postage and tax will make this a challenging price point to reach for anything sold as a guitar body blank.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    WezV said:
    For that price with no glueing I would go with a one piece body from here.

https://www.reidtimber.co.uk/guitar-blanks

Those prices look really good.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    yeah, obviously it's not the species most are after so I assume that helps with the prices.   I had a couple of poplar body blanks from them and the wood was fine.  Not exciting, but perfectly usable
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Last thing I bought from G&W was a radius jig and the shipping was 30 euro, I’d imagine a body blank would be at least as much. You may get hit with import duties, you shouldn’t as it’s less than £130 but G&W are supposed to charge VAT at their end for HMRC
  • wabsterwabster Frets: 4
    +1 for Reid Timber, always had excellent service and good prices. Top chap!
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    thanks all - will check them out.