Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). wiring question - what have ai done wrong? tone only works at full volume SORTED - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

wiring question - what have ai done wrong? tone only works at full volume SORTED

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited June 2023 in Making & Modding
just put a new pick up in a project guitar - a coil tapped tele bridge pick up and the tone only works with the volume at ten.

so I've clearly done something stupid - any suggestions much appreciated!

this is how I did it... wrongly 

cheers

mark

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    You've got the output from the switch connected to the jack, move that wire to the green one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Check with someone who knows better than I do (@ICBM @Funkfingers etc.) but I think you need to connect the wire coming from the middle of the push-push to the input of the volume pot (where the green wire is), not the output jack. 

I'm a bit hazy on tone pot wiring- the way you've wired it may well work perfectly fine, but I usually connect the wire from the volume to the tone pot to the tone pot's middle lug and then the tone cap from the tone pot's end lug (where the green wire is currently connected at the tone pot) to ground.

Or more simply... you don't seem to have your volume pot grounded. You need to have the unused lug of the volume pot grounded. I actually noticed that last, again that may solve it by itself- definitely try that first (unless you just accidentally left it off your diagram). That is one thing I'm sure of- that needs to be done if it hasn't been already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited June 2023
    Steve is correct.

Vol. Terminal 1 = Pickup signal and connection to tone control

Vol. Terminal 2 = Output to jack socket.

Vol. Terminal 3 = Ground to pot chassis (and output socket) 

Tone Terminal 1 = unused

Tone Terminal 2 = signal input

Tone Terminal 3 = capacitor (other end to ground)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    Thanks all. I shall have another go. @Funkfingers @SteveRobinson @Dave_Mc ;
    @Funkfingers sorted! thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Credit where it is due.

Steve spotted the problem.

All I did was write things out in a way so idiot-proof that even I could understand it.
    Be seeing you.
    @Funkfingers even I understood it... So fine work! Cheers @SteveRobinson ;
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Credit where it is due.

Steve spotted the problem.

All I did was write things out in a way so idiot-proof that even I could understand it.
    LOL he ninjaed me! If I'd seen his post before I wrote mine it'd have saved me a lot of bother!  =) He managed to say in one line what I did in about 3 long paragraphs...