Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). single pick up inspiration needed... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

single pick up inspiration needed...

What's Hot
I have two builds on the go...

both single pickups (as I'm too tight to buy lots of pickups) :)

I finished another one recently with a single tele bridge pick up and Ash at @OilCityPickups suggested a coil tapped Wapping Wharf... so that's what I did...

That's got me thinking what can I do with a really simple layout - one pickup, one vol, one tone...???

I won't lie my builds are pretty basic, as is my ability (I've yet to make a scratch plate - it's next on the list to try) so I can't route a guitar and then put a cap on it etc. as I'm pretty sure I'd mess that right up!

So long story short - any suggestions of alternative wirings?
Or different types of pots, stacked pots? Push Pulls?

Basically what can you do with one pickup?

here's the victims...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    With a 4-conductor humbucker my favourite is series/split/parallel switches that gives a 100/50/25% power.

Its not that simple in practice.  If it's a humbucker with matched coils the split and parallel settings can sound very similar... but it works well with the right pickup.

A single coil gives you 1 option. You can reverse phase, but with no other pickups it makes no difference. 

A tapped single coil gives you 2, full power or a lesser version of that.

A humbucker gives you 5 or 6 switching options without adding anything else. Not all useful though.   series in phase, parallel in phase, split to slug coil, split to screw coil, series out of phase, parallel out of phase
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/electronics-and-pickups-c17/kent-armstrong-guitar-pickups-c100/kent-armstrong-humbucker-guitar-pickups-c109/kent-armstrong-m-bucker-double-pickup-cool-p2219

Four coils in one package. So many options, so few of them worth trying.

I reckon all four in series, but one out of phase would be interesting, fer example.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    edited June 2023
    @WezV + @Sporky - thanks for that - I guess that's the point just because you can don't mean you should. I like the idea of 100/50/25% - I'll have a look for how to do this... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I butchered this Reverend recently

Dimarzio D Activator X, third pot is series/parallel with reverend style bass roll off

It's quite good. I would prefer an out of phase-y type sound but it would be probably be rank if I wired the pickup internally out of phase

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    edited June 2023
    markblack said:
    ... my builds are pretty basic, as is my ability
    Every finished guitar will build your confidence. If you don't yet have a router I would like to suggest you buy one and play around with the offcuts you have, practicing lines, curves, routing to a certain depth and getting used to making and using templates and guides for the router.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    More helpfully (though I think those quad buckers are intriguing), I really like the thing G&L (and others) do where you have a normal treble cut tone control, and a bass cut one. Hugely flexible. 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    edited June 2023
    @Whistler - I got given a router... that's what got me into all this

My spelling is perfect FYI... most of the letters are their, just not necessarly in the write order  

@Sporky + @roberty I'll have a google on all that...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Any pickup with Eldred wiring…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Sporky said:
    More helpfully (though I think those quad buckers are intriguing), I really like the thing G&L (and others) do where you have a normal treble cut tone control, and a bass cut one. Hugely flexible. 
    Reverend do this too. Bass control is more useful under high gain and treble control more useful for cleans ime
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    markblack said:
    @Whistler - I got given a router... that's what got me into all this

My spelling is perfect FYI... most of the letters are their, just not necessarly in the write order  

@Sporky + @roberty I'll have a google on all that...

Series parallel in practice is a lot like a coil split. The advantage is that it is hum cancelling, the disadvantage is you need both poles of a DPDT so you can't wire two pickups to on one pot

Bass roll-off/contour is the opposite of a tone control. It gradually attenuates the bass through the moment of the pot, rather than the treble

For all of this you'll get the best results from a fairly meaty pickup I think. Medium output plus. But others may disagree 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Alegree Chameleon, perhaps?
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    roberty said:

For all of this you'll get the best results from a fairly meaty pickup I think. Medium output plus. But others may disagree 
    My G&L had three singles, but I agree for a single pickup guitar I'd want to start with a good wallop of output. Leaves more places to go.

A P-Rails Hot might work nicely. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited June 2023
    markblack said:
    I have two builds on the go...

both single pickups (as I'm too tight to buy lots of pickups)
    Wouldn't multiple pickups cost less than multiple guitars? trollface 

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not suggesting you should have fewer guitars, that's a bannable offence and rightly so. 

(I'd be inclined to say "coil tap", but then you've already tried that. @Funkfingers 's suggestion of an Alegree Chameleon is very interesting, but I've never tried it.)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wouldn't multiple pickups cost less than multiple guitars?
    Sir. Yes, sir.

Sporky said: 
    A P-Rails Hot might work nicely. 
    Yes … but not so well in the middle position.

I have Duncan P-Rails N and P-Rails Hot pickups, in a PRS SE, via Triple Shot mounting surrounds. Less and less do I use the Rail and Parallel options. I find them insipid. Series and P90 modes are fine. Simple coil split wiring would suffice.

Dave_Mc said:
    Funkfingers' suggestion of an Alegree Chameleon is very interesting but I've never tried it.
    I'm not sure that many have anywhere!

The Alegree website product description page includes a third party YouTube video presentation. This combines lengthy exposition, an interview with Mr. Green and a play through of numerous coil permutations. Unfortunately, none of the sounds is captioned or described.

TBH, a guitar really needs a pair of Chameleon 'buckers to (allegedly) do everything. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited June 2023
    Dave_Mc said:
    Funkfingers' suggestion of an Alegree Chameleon is very interesting but I've never tried it.
    I'm not sure that many have anywhere!

The Alegree website product description page includes a third party YouTube video presentation. This combines lengthy exposition, an interview with Mr. Green and a play through of numerous coil permutations. Unfortunately, none of the sounds is captioned or described.

TBH, a guitar really needs a pair of Chameleon 'buckers to (allegedly) do everything. 
    I looked into them a bit a while ago, but they looked a bit complicated to wire up- in fact I'm not sure any of my guitars had enough pots to really take full advantage of them! Also they're fairly expensive, at least compared to the standard Alegrees. But if they do what they claim, you've got a lot of the most useful tones covered.

EDIT: Oh yeah also it said you might need to enlarge the cavities as the cables are a bit thicker... as someone who's not capable of doing anything like that, that basically scared me off! Depending on the guitar it can be a bit of a squeeze to get normal-thickness cables through sometimes...