Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nice To See the Acoustic Section Busy Nowadays - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nice To See the Acoustic Section Busy Nowadays

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    p90fool said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Neck geometry apart, an acoustic is less forgiving of bad technique and I like to practice stuff on acoustic first.
    I think the opposite to be honest. If I hand any of my acoustic-only mates an electric guitar they can't even play it in tune. 
    yet,  if I hand one of my acoustics to electric only mates,  they dont have enough strength to fret the strings properly

;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Hmm...I'm not sure. I play acoustic, electric and banjo.

Different beasts for sure but, if you play them often, don't you adapt?

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited June 2023
    I wonder what makes guitar so popular?

I'd say electric guitar is probably one of the most expressive instruments there is, apart from computers,but I've also preferred the sound of acoustic (and maybe piano) over pretty much all "traditional" instruments. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Mellish said:
    Hmm...I'm not sure. I play acoustic, electric and banjo.

Different beasts for sure but, if you play them often, don't you adapt?

:) 
    Absolutely. We are talking about the circumstance where you (say) play electric only and are then asked to play acoustic. Or, as in my case, always play acoustic and then try to play electric. What a dreadful sound I make!
    ^ and that's why I should have fully read the thread

=) 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Can one really be great at both, given family, work commitments etc? 
    One day I will throw all my electric gear onto Reverb so can dedicate myself to acoustic, I'm sure... I think....
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Tannin said:

In truth, they are very different instruments requiring quite different playing feel and technique.

Just wondering whether Jazz is where they overlap, Jazz being sort of electrified acoustic playing?

(Not that I can play a single note of jazz). 
    Can one really be great at both, given family, work commitments etc? 

If one is sufficiently talented and dedicated, sure. But note that key word "dedicated". If necessary that may mean giving up your job and/or abandoning your family. Not a trade-off worth making, IMO. Especially not when one remembers that just being very dedicated does not guarantee success. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715

I'd say electric guitar is probably one of the most expressive instruments there is, apart from computers,but I've also preferred the sound of acoustic (and maybe piano) over pretty much all "traditional" instruments. 
    On the first point,I'm not sure that playing guitar is considered popular or even cool anymore. We think they are be we're all biased. I think generally they aren't. 

On the second point, although I used to think that, I have to disagree. There's no doubt that in the right hands an electric guitar can be very expressive but there's a lot of stuff going on between fingers and speaker cone that isn't organic. With an acoustic guitar there is none of that. The sound coming off the guitar top is solely down to you and by definition organic and the truest form of guitar playing. Nothing to hide behind. This is why I sound better on electric than I do on acoustic but it's also why I've moved to playing acoustic more than I did. Well that and a lot more playing at home during lockdown without pissing the neighbours off playing through an HRD. I've since bought a Princeton Deluxe Reverb and a Cornell Romany which are both low powered but they are still loud when pushed. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Very very wise posts above. 

Wish had dedicated all those electric years to acoustic.
    jellyroll said:
    Tannin said:

In truth, they are very different instruments requiring quite different playing feel and technique.

Just wondering whether Jazz is where they overlap, Jazz being sort of electrified acoustic playing?

Now that is an interesting thought.

My style has elements of jazz in it, at least I tend to like jazz-style harmonies in my chords, and I'm guessing I'd make less of a mess of it playing a 339 through a nice clean amp than I would with a Les Paul and a stack.

Hardly a 339 but I might have a go on my brother's Strat next time I'm at his place. 

(Prediction: that will last three minutes max. The only real interest will be to see which one of us pulls the pin and cries "enough!" first.)

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Very very wise posts above. 

Wish had dedicated all those electric years to acoustic.
    Yep me too mate. I had a classical that never got used and bought a Martin acoustic about 20 years ago (D16) and it was only about 5 years ago I realised it was something I needed to play more. I've now got 5 acoustics, one being a 12 string. My electrics far outnumber them still though.  :s

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

I'm 5 acoustics now (too many tbh but all are good) and two great electrics gathering dust. I learned a lot from playing electric, especially in modal terms. But now prefer simplicity of an acoustic and chordal playing with interesting bass and treble lead. I like to strum with my hand but that destroys my nails. 

I put a lot of effort into electric, countless hours. I feel frustrated these days as life demands too much time and not enough is going into acoustic. But as Tannin says.. to what end? I think now just a very keen hobby and will continue to learn, write and sing. But learn to get out in the sun and live instead of sitting in trying to play more lol
    What electrics do you have and do you think of off-loading?
    edited June 2023
    I think you can play acoustic and electric AND be good at both. After all, if you can play one reasonably well, you're already halfway there.

I can do it. Ok, I know some can do it better, but I can get on-stage with either OR a banjo and not disgrace myself, and if I can do it......well it's a sure fact *you* can. 

Mellish said:
    I think you can play acoustic and electric AND be good at both. After all, if you can play one reasobavly well, you're already halfway there.

That's about the size of it I reckon. Me, I'll probably never be any good at electric (in large part because I don't especially want to be, certainly not enough to put any meaningful amount of practice in) but I was a fairly decent bass player back in the day. Like acoustic and electric, guitar (either sort) and bass are instruments where if you know one you are at least half way to knowing the other. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    I have heard it said that most acoustic guitarists, particularly singer/songwriter types are competent at playing bass…
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Mellish said:
    I think you can play acoustic and electric AND be good at both. After all, if you can play one reasonably well, you're already halfway there.

I can do it. Ok, I know some can do it better, but I can get on-stage with either OR a banjo and not disgrace myself, and if I can do it......well it's a sure fact *you* can. 

It's incredibly easier (with a good set up!) to play electric than acoustic...BUT where is the fun in that! Or on a more serious note 'What is the benefit to your learning if you take the easy way out all the time?' Unless hampered by disabilities or being a young child wanting to take your first steps into music of course. I am of the school that says 'Too easy equals less benefit' and boredom will set in sooner? Not sure everybody will agree but there you are. Of course I should add that,once again,a good set up and a decent instrument(even a budget guitar) are a big benefit too.
    edited June 2023
    @guitarjack66 ; I believe you have to push yourself...you know, in order to be a better musician. 
    Read what @Tannin said above above in his response to me. That bit about he doesn't want to to be. He's identified why he.. wontI. I learned the game as a busker and that's a good place to start. 

edited June 2023
    jaymenon said:
    I have heard it said that most acoustic guitarists, particularly singer/songwriter types are competent at playing bass…
    That seems reasonable. I've never heard anyone say that - but THE key skill for a good bass player is knowing how to keep out of the road of a good song. You are not there to sound good, you are there to make the singer sound good. 

And now that you mention it @jaymenon that's exactly what you do with your acoustic guitar as a singer-songwriter. You are thinking about making the song sound good, not about how fast you can shred next time you get a solo. 

So yes acoustic&vocals -> bass, a directly transferrable skill set.

It's incredibly easier (with a good set up!) to play electric than acoustic.
    Not if your name is Tannin mate. Trust me on this.

I can make a half decent noise on a wooden box with strings if the stars line up for me, but I am incredibly bad at electric. :(
    edited June 2023
    Devil#20 said:

On the first point,I'm not sure that playing guitar is considered popular or even cool anymore. We think they are be we're all biased. I think generally they aren't. 

On the second point, although I used to think that, I have to disagree. There's no doubt that in the right hands an electric guitar can be very expressive but there's a lot of stuff going on between fingers and speaker cone that isn't organic. With an acoustic guitar there is none of that. The sound coming off the guitar top is solely down to you and by definition organic and the truest form of guitar playing. Nothing to hide behind. This is why I sound better on electric than I do on acoustic but it's also why I've moved to playing acoustic more than I did. Well that and a lot more playing at home during lockdown without pissing the neighbours off playing through an HRD. I've since bought a Princeton Deluxe Reverb and a Cornell Romany which are both low powered but they are still loud when pushed. 

I don't know. I'd guess there's still more guitars being sold than any other instrument, apart from maybe digital computer bases gear. I've not got any figures on that, but there still seems to be a few dedicated guitar shops around. More than actual "music" shops. 
    There's no doubt in my mind that guitars have been and still are a very popular choice of musical instrument.
    Don't know about "cool", that's probably more about the player than the instrument.

Was just wondering why that might be. 

For me the electric guitar opens up a lot more technique and different sounds. Ways to express yourself. Big screaming bends with fuzz, feedback and wah are just so satisfying and expressive.
    I don't think it really matters that it isn't as "organic", you're just replacing the sound board with a speaker.

I'd guess that before electric guitar the most expressive instrument was maybe the violin? 
    Google says most popular is piano, then guitar. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    jaymenon said:
    well Im the whatsit that breaks the thingy then,   feckin useless with a bass
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Mellish said:
    @guitarjack66 ; I believe you have to push yourself...you know, in order to be a better musician. 
    Read what @Tannin said above above in his response to me. That bit about he doesn't want to to be. He's identified why he.. wontI. I learned the game as a busker and that's a good place to start. 

A busker? Nice one! I tip my (collection) hat to you! lol.
    Coincidentally we've just bought and read our Grandaughter a new book for kids that features a busker and his cat,who the book is named after,Tabby McTatt. The busker is named Fred.
    bertie said:
    jaymenon said:
    well Im the whatsit that breaks the thingy then,   feckin useless with a bass

I'm not terrible at bass but I tend to play it like a guitar, with a pick. 

I'd say singer/songwriter types are probably more open to trying other instruments to add a different flavour to their songs. Maybe. 
    I've used keyboard, bass and different things for recording but I can't really *play* them in any real sense. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595

Music embellishes life.

An acoustic is a 'six string piano'.

Acoustics are easily portable.

Acoustics come in many shapes, sizes, colours, sound tones and types.

Acoustics come at many prices, and these days they're nearly all fun.