Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Which multi-effects for me? Help please! - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Which multi-effects for me? Help please!

What's Hot
I only really need reverb, chorus, delay and boost. Phaser would be nice but not essential. I don't really need anything complicated or with amp/cab sims, just simple and small (as it's on a pedalboard) would be ideal. I need boost (volume) included so i can stop tap-dancing when it comes to solo's! 

Is there any one-pedal that can do this without me spending more time programming the feckin' thing than actually playing it? So no Stomps etc!

Anyone know if this pedal exists?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited June 2023
    Nux Cerberus. Although might be too big for your requirements.
    If you want something smaller it's gonna require some programming because you're essentially looking for something that can do 3-4 things but in a compact size. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    Zoom MS-70 CDR has all that, you can set the level of individual patches, or use a compressor or EQ unit for the boost. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Boss ME series. 

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    If you are on a very tight budget, or simply don't want to pay much at all, you might actually find that the very cheap and cheerful Sonicake Rockstage would do what you need for £61 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313537187967).

I have the same type of pedal but with compressor, overdrive, delay and reverb, and with the silly name "Twiggy Blues".  It's a great little multi effects bar for the money.  I have it in my livingroom ready to switch on and use at any time, but I'm sure I could get all the right sounds for gigging if I needed to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Carl Martin Quattro 2010s - Black | Reverb UK

That. Absolutely unbeatable. Nothing comes close. Delay and Chorus are world class.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    The Zoom MS pedals can do that and also do an amp SIM as a backup. If you want to switch them on and off individually then see if you can find a Zoom G3 second hand. I gigged one for years giving me all my mods, delays and reverbs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Have you looked at the HX Stomp? All the fx you could ever want in a nice compact unit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited June 2023
    If it's just for an on/off solo setting, Boss Digital Metalizer has that in one pedal. With the gain low it'll do boost without fizz. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    It's obviously more than that - but the HX FX can be set as a simple pedalboard - no 'programming' involved. 

When you add an effect to the chain it'll come up in a perfectly sensible, useable state.

i'm also aware that the TC Plethora can be 'hacked' a bit so that the compressor effect acts as a pure boost - but the video that shows you how to set that up definitely falls in to the realm of 'faff' - but you'd likely only need to do it once and then it's a very simple to operate unit. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Can you get a boost out of the TC Plethora X3 or X5? If so they might work.
  • If you're looking for a low budget option, i'm selling my Zoom G3.  No programming needed in stompbox mode and people put them on pedalboards all the time for modulations/delays/reverbs only.  
  • supessupes Frets: 159
    Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate the suggestions.

i've tried Hx Stomp and similar and it's just overload for what i need. Appreciate it does what i'm looking for, but i really don't want anything more than what i need if i can help it. I'll never use amp/cab/patches etc i just don't need them.

i'd looked at a few of the suggestions before posting but I was hoping for a smaller pedal, as in not something thet takes up most of the board.
     A couple don't have volume boost either - appreciate eq might be an option on some but that's not what i need, i do need to be able to hike volume a fair bit. I didn't think the Zoom G3 had volume boost?

I'll have a google of a few more of the suggestions now :) cheers!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Gassage said:

That. Absolutely unbeatable. Nothing comes close. Delay and Chorus are world class.
    Wow that looks awesome 

@OP if you only need one of those effects at a time and you are menu averse then the Line 6 M5 could be suitable. If you're using them all at once then you probably will need to do some programming
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Do you want them all to come on together as a sort of uber-solo sound, or for you want to he able to activate each bit separately?

How you want to use it has a significant bearing on what the right choice is. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I don't mind doing a bit of "programming" but units with loads of amp/cab sims, patches etc are definitely overkill. I might have to go there but that's why i asked the question really, to see if the good people on here knew of a pedal that would avoid that!

i appreciate with patches i can usually set individual volumes too, but that's not my ideal as I've gigged with a guitarist using that approach and every flaming patch had different volume almost! If there is a multi-fx pedal out there with a proper volume boost that's worth using, that's what I'm looking for!
    Gassage said:

Does this have a volume boost?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited June 2023
    there's a really detailed video on Youtube showing how to set the compressor effect as a boost (it's faffier than you might think, but seems to work well once done) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • supes said:
    Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate the suggestions.

i've tried Hx Stomp and similar and it's just overload for what i need. Appreciate it does what i'm looking for, but i really don't want anything more than what i need if i can help it. I'll never use amp/cab/patches etc i just don't need them.

i'd looked at a few of the suggestions before posting but I was hoping for a smaller pedal, as in not something thet takes up most of the board.
     A couple don't have volume boost either - appreciate eq might be an option on some but that's not what i need, i do need to be able to hike volume a fair bit. I didn't think the Zoom G3 had volume boost?

I'll have a google of a few more of the suggestions now :) cheers!
    The G3 does.  There's a Boost effect as part of its fx suite and all you need to do is add it as part of your chain and you just turn it on and off whenever with your foot.  There are other fx within the unit that has a volume parameter (compressors, EQs etc) and those will do the same really.  

The Cerberus also has a boost function and can be assigned to the right-most footswitch (and there's a knob at the back where you set the db level you want).  Only bad thing I found with this is it boosts the overall volume, so if your reverb is on when you boost, it boosts the reverb volume as well.  Whereas on the G3 you can put the boost anywhere in the chain.  
    Sporky said:
    Do you want them all to come on together as a sort of uber-solo sound, or for you want to he able to activate each bit separately?

How you want to use it has a significant bearing on what the right choice is. 
    Nope they don't all have to come on together :)

but i would like to achieve a decent volume boost from pressing something on this pedal so that i can ditch my current additional TC spark pedal.
    edited June 2023
    TimmyO said:
    there's a really detailed video on Youtube showing how to set the compressor effect as a boost (it's faffier than you might think, but seems to work well once done) 
    I've only been able to find a couple of videos and although there is a bit of a boost, it doesn't seem like the equivalent of stepping on a boost pedal, more a slight increas in volume? Which is a shame as the X3 looks perfect for everything else!
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    Supes, I understand that you said they don't have to come on all together.

The Line 6 M5 as was mentioned above has reverbs, delays, choruses and other modulations and a boost. However it can only utilise a single effect at any one time.

So only reverb or only chorus or only boost et cetera. It's like Ultra Boy from DC Comics Legion - he's got every power but can only use one at a time
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    supes said:
    Gassage said:

Does this have a volume boost?

Yes. Set one of the drives as a boost. It's phenom.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    I’ve got a NUX Cerberus (as it happens I’m selling it as I’m not playing much any more), but it would probably do everything you want, but maybe not quite small enough. It’s a bit of a weird device to get your head around initially, certainly if using live, but once sorted, it’s fairly easy to use and can change the perameters just like a normal pedal, though you can also save presets if you so desire
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 161
    edited June 2023
    It can also save presets. Looks like it has everything you need. I've never tried one. The closest I've got is a Tech21 Fly Rig v2 which I like, but it doesn't have a separate chorus (you can add modulationto the delay only) and no presets.

Thanks for all the suggestions. That Mooer looks a good option and should i change my live rig (again) I think it's worth a try for me. 

In the end i bought a HX Stomp. Somehow it hasn't been as frustrating this time (it's my 2nd Stomp) and within a day i've been able to get it running and gigged it same night. Early days but it's sounding killer!