Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Meris Mercury 7 - First impressions - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Meris Mercury 7 - First impressions

What's Hot
guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 330
edited June 2023 in FX
Hey guys, my GAS got so explosive for a Meris Mercury 7 I ended up buying one on eBay. 

I've never had a reverb pedal before. I'm really amazed by how nice this sounds! I love the catherda mode - it really does make you play differently - it's just really massive sounded. I'm liking it with a bit of reverb modulation - the setting can get really extreme but I'm using relatively subtly. You can also add vibrato to it but I (think!) I've got that turned off at the minute. I'm liking pressing the swell button but hold onto notes and chords - I never even considered that being something I wanted but now I'm addicted to it!

I thought I'd love the plate mode the most - it's definitely lovely sounding but it's not as wow as the cathedra - it could definitely be used as an always on reverb sound! I like mixing it with a bit of spring reverb from the amp.

I'm just playing it mono into my amp like a regular person. I also considered a cloudburst but went with this in the end! It's a nicer looking pedal in real life than it looks online - it's a cool wedge shaped box and the colour is cool. Feels very high quality! 

Has anyone else got a Mercury 7 and do you have any tips for it? Especially regarding the secondary functions which I haven't delved into too much yet! 

Here is a little clip playing around with some chords.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    I’ve wanted one for years and never got round to buying one. They always sound epic on demos and yours is no different, some lovely playing there too btw! 

Enjoy!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks Ben, much appreciated! I think I shied away from more non traditional or slightly more complicated pedals but I’ve started to embrace them now - this definitely isn’t complicated but does more than I’m used to! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    I bought one from someone on here, I love it, I use the plate for normal stuff and cathedra for the massive sound, I recently bought the 4 switcher for it, it's great for making 4 different sounds and go easily between them.

I've had this pedal a fair while and only just getting into the alt functions, you'll spend hours messing with it.

It does more than I'll ever use and it won't be going anywhere.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh nice the switcher - I really wish I had a bigger board! Yeah the plate is really good for normal stuff - perfect sound I think! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    Oh nice the switcher - I really wish I had a bigger board! Yeah the plate is really good for normal stuff - perfect sound I think! 
    Now I have to get a bigger board because at some point I want some other modulation stuff, it all adds to a sound scape, I didn't really have any pedals until I had my 3x10 tweed type amp made.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2172
    edited June 2023
    Stunning reverb, and while Cathedra is sheer cavernous ambient bliss, I love Ultraplate as well: I used to stack it with my amp’s spring reverb as well, worked a treat. I barely used the modulation/pitch capabilities, I found it a tremendous reverb without them, so clear-sounding. I wonder if Meris will update this for their next pedal, a lot folk find the UI/secondary functions and lack of onboard presets tricky: if that doesn’t matter for you, though, it’s an outstanding pedal as is.
  • Nice to hear the praise for the ultraplate - I do think ill settle on a setting with the amps spring reverb and ultraplate as my ‘normal’ reverb! 

Yeah the clarity of the pedal is great.

Oh yeah an update would be cool, I heard they said they planned to do more pedals in the style of the crazy delay they do!
  • New polymoon would be awesome, but I have much more fun with the Mercury 7. As for alt settings and presets, midi switcher is the way to go yo!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    I have and love both the ploymoon and Mercury 7  especially in stereo. Beautiful ounding pedals.

Secondary functions are a pain in the ass though.
  • 1. When the pitch shifter is engaged, the max decay is reduced, which means I always it kept it off.
    2. Also, you can use a simple latching foot switch instead of an expression pedal to change between settings if you want a cheap option.
    3. The resistor values for the 4 button foot switch are also somewhere online if you want to DIY.

Love that pedal so much ❤️
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Hey guys, my GAS got so explosive for a Meris Mercury 7 I ended up buying one on eBay. 

I've never had a reverb pedal before. I'm really amazed by how nice this sounds! I love the catherda mode - it really does make you play differently - it's just really massive sounded. I'm liking it with a bit of reverb modulation - the setting can get really extreme but I'm using relatively subtly. You can also add vibrato to it but I (think!) I've got that turned off at the minute. I'm liking pressing the swell button but hold onto notes and chords - I never even considered that being something I wanted but now I'm addicted to it!

I thought I'd love the plate mode the most - it's definitely lovely sounding but it's not as wow as the cathedra - it could definitely be used as an always on reverb sound! I like mixing it with a bit of spring reverb from the amp.

I'm just playing it mono into my amp like a regular person. I also considered a cloudburst but went with this in the end! It's a nicer looking pedal in real life than it looks online - it's a cool wedge shaped box and the colour is cool. Feels very high quality! 

Has anyone else got a Mercury 7 and do you have any tips for it? Especially regarding the secondary functions which I haven't delved into too much yet! 

Here is a little clip playing around with some chords.

Get one of these: 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/meris-alt-function-overlay-for-mercury7/955255

Why Strymon don't offer these with their pedals is beyond me (unless I've missed a change there since I bought one). 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Meris pedals are awesome but they make a lot more sense if you have a midi switcher like a G3 Atom , then you start to really get to use the potential

• Has anyone else got a Mercury 7 and do you have any tips for it? Especially regarding the secondary functions which I haven't delved into too much yet! 
    The density control is subtle, but what it's doing (I think) is making things a little clearer and a little bit more spaced out - less dense really... - when it's CCW,  and CW is much thicker and well, dense!  I like it a little to the left of 12 as I like the clarity, and the Highs/Lows can make it thick sounding if needed.

As for the pitch vector secondary control, I find less is more.  With the shimmer as an example, if you have the pitch vector all the way clockwise it's a harsh, metallic shimmer that I find really unpleasant.  Move it back to about 12 though, and I think it sounds lovely.  

All the rest of the secondary control are fairly self-explanatory but those 2 confused me for a long time.  Oh, also worth mentioning that the pre-delay is very short so don't be scared to really move it up full if you need to - it'll never get into slap-back territory.