Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wiring question - 3 pickup LP and push/pull - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wiring question - 3 pickup LP and push/pull

What's Hot
I’ve recently acquired a lovely ‘98 Epi Black Beauty in a trade, and it’s currently set up with a push/pull to bring in the middle pickup independently at any switch position, which is great. 

However I’d also like to coil split the bridge pickup - is it worth adding a second push pull to do this, or could I theoretically use the existing middle pickup push/pull to add the splitting wires to, so when I pull it up in, say, the bridge position, it would add in the middle pickup and coil split the bridge at the same time?

I suspect I’ll need to install a second push/pull pot but I’m happy to be told otherwise? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Two independent functions, two independent switches.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Both functions only need to use half of the usual Push/Pull switch, so it is possible to do both on one.

Much more practical to have them separate though, and more reliable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    As Wez said, it can be done with one switch but it's much better to have two, or you're stuck with the combination of the middle pickup and the split bridge, which may not be the most useful.

The stock wiring on the PRS Swamp Ash Special splits the neck pickup and adds the middle at the same time with one switch, and I've modified mine with an extra switch for exactly that reason.

You could then use the split switch to split two of the pickups at the same time - bridge and middle may be the most useful, especially if the neck is a relatively low-output PAF-type. (On my PRS I've done bridge and neck.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Three other possibilities.

1) Freeway 3X3-03 six-way toggle switch, wired to select assorted useful pickup combinations.

2) The Peter Frampton circuit.
    Neck and Bridge pickups via selector switch, then, the upper Volume and Tone controls. Middle pickup via the lower Volume and Tone controls.

This permits blending or the middle pickup on its own.

There was a limited edition Frampton LP Special with this circuit and three P90s.  :)

3) Epiphone SG400 Custom circuit.
    3V, 1T controls. Again, the selector switch offers neck/both/bridge. The middle pickup is blended via the third volume pot.
    Be seeing you.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 281
    Thanks gents - will replace the neck tone with a push/pull for the bridge and neck, considering sticking a HB sized P90 in the middle position to give sort of pseudo-Strat wiring. Cheers!