Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). My First Build: A Bolt Guitars Thunder Road (T-Style) - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

My First Build: A Bolt Guitars Thunder Road (T-Style)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    For a non-sprayed finish that looks excellent.
    Ah thanks. :) I’m scared to open the garage to see it now :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Got a load of progress today. First up was polishing up the neck.  I had found a few bits of oil that were thicker than I would have liked so I gave the fretboard a little bit of a sand with the 800 grit just to smooth it out slightly and then gave a fine final coat of oil.  This was a couple of days ago.  Today, I gave it a buff with a microfibre cloth as per the video.  I felt that the frets were looking a bit dull - probably from me having got oil on them during the finishing process.  I gave them a good rub down and then used some of my Music Nomad fret polish just to give them the best finish I could. 

Seemed to work well. And then that was the neck finished. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Next up was giving the body a polish. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Now, finally, time to build the guitar. First up string ferrules. 

Then I thought I would mark the occasion: 

Then it's time to get the bridge attached. 

Next up, the tuner ferrules and then drilling the holes for the tuner retaining screws. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Then dry fitting the neck and stringing the top and bottom string to check the neck alignment - all good. 

Then mark and drill the holes in the heel. 

Then fit the scratch plate and neck pickup: 

Spot of wiring (mostly pre-wired. Just needed a few connections made.  I found it touch getting the push-back wire through the hole to ground the bridge, so I desoldered it from the plate and pushed it in from the top before reattaching. Then soldered the bridge and neck connections and the output jack: 

Aaaaaaand, basically DONE. Just testing the output, strap buttons and string trees to attach and we're complete.  I ran out of time before heading out for the evening so gong to have to do that tomorrow. BUUUUUUT, it looks like a guitar now! :D 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And... it lives! 

Really pleased with how it turned out and really impressed with the guitar in general.  The neck is a great profile, I would say it was a comfortable C but on the thicker end of that scale. All plays well and the pickups sound really good. The neck pickup in particular is really nice.

I had been keen to try a kit to take the first step into building guitars. This has surpassed my expectations on how it would turn out.  I think I am really keen to do another build - maybe with a body and neck from guitar build or GSPbasses and try a spray finish. After that who knows, maybe something with a bit more technical stuff involved - actually doing the woodwork and fretting from scratch.  Although I will need to do a lot of reading first - no idea where to start with that. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    For anyone thinking of taking the plunge into building a kit, I would highly recommend Bolt.  

The stuff all coming together with everything you need (I think other than what was supplied, I needed a drill and a few bits, a couple of screwdrivers, a hammer and a few cut up t-shirts) and the video guide to follow along with made it really straightforward.  The Facebook group means that any issues can be discussed easily and the team are on hand to guide and encourage as you go along.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    Looks like you did a great job of the build.  I enjoyed following the process, thanks for documenting it. 
    Thank you :) I’m now looking into my next project. Really enjoyed this but thinking I might try something with a little more required from me next.