Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strat Partscaster Build - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strat Partscaster Build

What's Hot

So, aiming to build my perfect strat.  Not 100% settled on specs but something like this.
While the weather was good I thought I’d make the most of it and make a start.

Alder body - Hosco, around 4lb 1oz
Nitro Finish - Ice Blue metallic from @SteveRobinson ;
Chunkyish neck.  9.5inch radius. Stainless steel frets.  Thinking musickraft.  Although may go for Allparts and possible refret at a later date.

Vintage style trem.  

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Lovely finish there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Lovely finish there!
    Thanks Steve.  Went on really well, the aerosols are really consistent.  Love the colour, exactly as I imagined!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    Very nice Tom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Nice :+1:
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    If my first body refinish attempt comes out half as good as yours I'll be well happy.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    That's a fabulous colour
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Looks good. Hope you get on ok with buffing etc. The Hosco necks are worth a look. I’ve got one and I’m dead impressed with it. 
  • Maple or rosewood-ish fretboard? 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    It’s got to be a dark neck with that blue surely
  • elstoof said:
    Was thinking the same exact thing. 
    elstoof said:
    Was thinking the same exact thing. 

Yeah going to be rosewood slab board, not decided what yet.  

Penn said:
    Looks good. Hope you get on ok with buffing etc. The Hosco necks are worth a look. I’ve got one and I’m dead impressed with it. 
    Thanks.  Yeah I have a Hosco on my tele (pic below) and it’s great.  The only thing is I fancy something chunkier, with medium jumbo stainless frets. But that could get expensive.  Hosco and Allparts are great and really reasonably priced, so may end up with one of those.

https://i.imgur.com/j8XR71B.jpg
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    elstoof said:
    I’d go for maple to match the blue, and avoid yellowing varnishes
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Hardware and pre wired pickguard now ordered.
    I’ve gone for Tex Mex pickups as the loaded guard is only £139 with decent pots etc.  I might change the pickups, but didn’t think it was worth going too fancy from the outset.  

Slight issue with the body, I managed to sand through whilst flat sanding.  But possibly a happy accident. Pre sanding it was almost a satin finish, which I quite liked, so I’m thinking of going again but with satin lacquer, which will negate the need for the final sand if I get it right.

@SteveRobinson what are your thoughts on finishing with the satin clear?

If you have both in stock (more Ice Blue and clear satin), I’ll grab them later in the week.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Yes a clear satin topcoat would be fine. Matt can look pretty classy too.

All in stock :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Pretty much complete, except perhaps a few minor adjustments.

Neck is a Musikraft, with a large C Custom Shop profile, stainless frets.
    I finished the neck with Wilco Stain, Coffee, Danish oil and wax.

Finish ended up satin due to sanding through.  The feel is really nice, like a very subtle but uniform texture.

Weight is 7.6lbs

The guitar feels amazing, really happy with this one.  Build cost was around £700-£800 I think, will need to check.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Looks cracking, @menamestom . Congrats. Get a mint guard on there IMO 
    Lebarque said:
    Looks cracking, @menamestom . Congrats. Get a mint guard on there IMO 
    Yeah would look good, I have one somewhere, will give it a go.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    Wow that paint job is flawless! Have you done many before this one?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Wow that paint job is flawless! Have you done many before this one?
    Thanks.  Just the silver Tele on the previous page.  This has turned out the best though.
    It’s actually fairly easy with the satin, as long as you take your time.  
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Very nice mate. I’d give you a job as a spray painter anytime!
    I play at my dining room table.
    Yeah, it does look good. Nicely done.