Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can anyone make a Novo Miris-inspired body? - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can anyone make a Novo Miris-inspired body?

What's Hot
I really like those things but can't justify buying a Novo right now. Anyone can make a body for a partscaster? Doesn't need to be an exact copy, fancy or even finished 

https://www.novoguitars.com/miris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Is this too big of a pain to do without a template?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    It's not a Miris, but influenced by another Novo.

If you have a look at the original YT link, there is a PDF template provided.  Maybe someone like Guitar Build could create a custom body for you from the template?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Even if you have not done it before making a template and a body can be done over a weekend with basic hand power tools if the shape is what you need in the plan print off the plan pdf stick it on a bit of 10 mm mdf and you are off to the races. If you want semi hollow which I think the Miris is then get a body blank thicknesses to say 7 mm less then you can easily rout out some voids add a drop top and then glue on the top and finish routing with the template. I am not back in the Uk till July but have a serious cnc in the warehouse and it would take a few hours to get that thing setup and it will churn them out by the dozen lol.

sure there is someone who can help before then or just get a cheap blank and have a go with power tools or if you can wait till  I’ll after the 15th July I have a week back at the warehouse so could get one done it it helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    I spoke to @GSPBASSES about RB6 and very-very tempted but would be really keen to get a Miris!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Is the problem not having plans available, like there are for the RB6?

Anyone who has ever made a guitar should be able to do this for you, just expect some to not want to, and to pay more for the design work involved.  It can be just as much work copying an existing design as making one up from scratch.     

Some have the mentality that the builder gets to re-use the design/templates, so shouldn't charge the customer for the work involved in producing them.   This is rarely a good deal for the builder.

It's not too difficult to make accurate plans from a full pic and some known dimensions.  I used to do this by printing off very large pictures and attaching to some template material, similar to the way @gspbasses shows in the thread i linked to.

More recently I have been doing them in inkscape and cutting out with a laser.

Something I did notice about the Miris that you don’t get till you dig in a bit it does have an arm contour so is not as deep body on the upper side. Not the end of the world but it’s more subtle than a strat style. So it’s not just a slab with a top like a thinline tele.just for reference
  • Something I did notice about the Miris that you don’t get till you dig in a bit it does have an arm contour so is not as deep body on the upper side. Not the end of the world but it’s more subtle than a strat style. So it’s not just a slab with a top like a thinline tele.just for reference
    Presumably it makes it a bit more difficult to make as you're gluing the top at an angle? I also _really_ like the s-hole design
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Hmm. Offset hollow body with forearm contour and top binding. That’s not a simple build. If you went semi-hollow, with a cavity below the F hole then it would be easier. I guess it’s a case of deciding which features are important.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Hmm. Offset hollow body with forearm contour and top binding. That’s not a simple build. If you went semi-hollow, with a cavity below the F hole then it would be easier. I guess it’s a case of deciding which features are important.
    Fine without binding, in fact probably prefer without it. I thought it is semi-hollow like a thinline vs hollowbody? Maybe I'm novice and wrong!
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    Has anybody found a way of rout the binding channel on a droptop that works every time? Over the years I've spent hundreds of pounds buying all sorts of gadgets to do this job. None of them really work well so I gave up even trying to do it now. But if somebody knows a way of doing it I would be more than interested.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    Something I did notice about the Miris that you don’t get till you dig in a bit it does have an arm contour so is not as deep body on the upper side. Not the end of the world but it’s more subtle than a strat style. So it’s not just a slab with a top like a thinline tele.just for reference
    Presumably it makes it a bit more difficult to make as you're gluing the top at an angle? I also _really_ like the s-hole design
    You could maybe route from the back like Rickenbacker?
    Pabcrane said:
    You could maybe route from the back like Rickenbacker?
    If you were doing it on CNC that would work but you would have to hollow it out again from the back and fit a back to it rather than a droptop but that works as the Miris does not seem to have a belly cut on the one I looked at but Novo mix and match features a lot. As for bending, people put drop-tops on Strats with no problem so the much subtler arm contour on the Miris should be easy to bend across. I am thinking this one through as I like the Novo style of guitars, so as much as playing electric has been off my radar for the last 5 years and my sole focus has been getting lost in acoustic stuff making a Novo body might be a fun project to draw me back to electric. 

tFB Trader
    Doing a drop top is no problem at all. If you look back through some of my posts you’ll see I’ve done them on  Strat’s, Tele’s Jazzmasters and Jazz basses. On two of my posts, I’ve shown you how I bend and glue the drop top. It’s finding a way of doing the binding on a droptop is the problem.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    Misread title as 'Norovirus'. Carry on
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If anyone fancies having a go at making one but doesn't want to bother with some of the intricacies like minding or the slope, I'm very happy to hear out!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    It would be great if more of the guitar parts builders made interesting body shapes rather than just the usual Strat/Tele/Jazzmaster offerings, but still compatible with the standard Fender neck dimensions.

I guess there would be copyright/trademark issues with copying some of the other brands' shapes.

Warmoth do a few (e.g. Z-body, Musiclander) but they're pretty expensive to ship to the UK.
  • Jeremiah said:
    It would be great if more of the guitar parts builders made interesting body shapes rather than just the usual Strat/Tele/Jazzmaster offerings, but still compatible with the standard Fender neck dimensions.

I guess there would be copyright/trademark issues with copying some of the other brands' shapes.

Warmoth do a few (e.g. Z-body, Musiclander) but they're pretty expensive to ship to the UK.
    Tough one. I guess most sales are for T and S-style with some sprinkle of offsets. However, yeah, I would love something a bit more adventurous and would be prepared to pay more for this. 

Copyright is a fair question and I'm 100% happy with an "inspired by" vs trying to do an accurate clone.

Afaik @GSPBASSES does make some other shapes, maybe could do a Miris at some point ;-)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Jeremiah said:

Rosser Guitars make some interesting bodies, or used to, but they do not ship to the UK. I think they stopped making a lot of the interesting bodies as not many people buy them. 

I regret not getting a Harmony H44 body from them when they used to make them. He still makes a Fano LP style body.
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:

I suggest you have a look at my posting https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/242755/back-in-the-workshop#latest

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    I just made one as an experiment out of an old piece of kitchen worktop... and I've learned a lot and throughly enjoyed the process. I worked within my ability so it's a single pickup with tele bits. I've yet to try making a scratch plate... and I've no idea how to make the control plate! And I bought a neck as making one of them is way, way, way above my ability.

Tools wise all i used was a router... some files... a drill... a hand sander...

I used the PDF you can get off this channel as mentioned above...

anyhow here's how it looked when I 'finished' it...

But I hated the green mess after a week of looking at it... so I pulled it apart and it now looks like this in a fetching shade of anthracite...

I'd say have a go at building one... it's great fun... 

Just remember it's a beast of a guitar so you need a big old body blank!

Cheers

Mark
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter