Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Back with Fractal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Back with Fractal

What's Hot
Good afternoon,

quick question,

i have been a long time user of fractal stuff, but a few years ago, went back to valve amps. I have just picked up a fm3 and i was wondering how you guys are using them, powered cabs seem to be a good way to go? i will only be using it at home/bedroom use. I have had powered cabs for my kemper and they worked well, but i am open to ideas. Maybe monitors?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I use a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors with my Helix and I find them to be excellent at home.

They are more than loud enough - they go far louder than anyone would ever need at home! I use them as my PC speakers too, using the Helix as my interface / soundcard for netflix, recording, everything.

I get to have fun with stereo fx, and unlike some bigger stage FRFR stuff, they don't have any cooling fans / noise.

If they got nicked, I'd happily buy them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 638
    I use a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors with my Helix and I find them to be excellent at home.

They are more than loud enough - they go far louder than anyone would ever need at home! I use them as my PC speakers too, using the Helix as my interface / soundcard for netflix, recording, everything.

I get to have fun with stereo fx, and unlike some bigger stage FRFR stuff, they don't have any cooling fans / noise.

If they got nicked, I'd happily buy them again.
    that is some great advice, so monitors might be the way to go then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    A good set of monitors can often be at a far better price than a stage ready FRFR. They take up less room, They can be either plugged into your PC (if you have an interface) or into the Fractal so you don't have to turn on the PC at all.

I had a Yamaha DXR10 powered FRFR for a while and while it was great on stage the weight and the fan noise for home use was annoying.

If you are going to use the FM3 in the same place as your PC all the time then I'd suggest making the FM3 your interface / soundcard too. Plug the monitors into the FM directly, and USB to the PC.

Your PC will recognise it - just set it to be the main in and out for audio.

That way you won't need a separate interface that adds in another round of AD conversion and latency.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    I used (a pair) of the Headrush FRFR108 - there's a bit of work to dial out the boominess which is well documented on the Fractal site but for me they have been brilliant - I use them as foldback live or for monitoring in the house.
  • Welcome back! 

I've used Yamaha DXR10's (stereo pair) FRFR and later Genelec 8010's. Both were great, but I'm now just using Sennheiser HD650 headphones and that's where I'm most comfortable.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    I'm another Monitor user - a pair of Eve Audio SC205 on stands, which i think are wonderful.

As per the suggestion from @fretmeister - I have it set up on the desktop next to my computer and use it as an interface etc.

Its a really great and satisfying set up :)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Genelec 8020Ds. Been very happy with them. Also use the smaller 8010As for another room upstairs.
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    The G66 Redsounds are very good.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    If it's home use only, a pair of studio monitors is a good shout. Being able to run in stereo sounds lovely. I'm happy with my Mkii JBL LSR305's.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Welcome back! 

I've used Yamaha DXR10's (stereo pair) FRFR and later Genelec 8010's. Both were great, but I'm now just using Sennheiser HD650 headphones and that's where I'm most comfortable.
    Agree 100%
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Can personally vouch for the Yamaha DXR10 Mk2 and the DHR12M as excellent sounding options.