Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). UK pickup makers - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

UK pickup makers

What's Hot
I'd like to buy a neck humbucker that sounds very similar to a Seymour Duncan Antiquity retrospec'd pup.

Why not just buy a SD antiquity pup? Becuase I'd rather buy made in the UK tbh.

Any recomendations very welcome, cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Loads of options. I’ve had great service from Oil City and Mojo personally, would recommend contacting either with a description of what you want
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Yeah you have loads of options. I can't make any specific recommendations (because I've never tried an Antiquity and have never tried any UK maker's version of it!) but all the UK makers I've tried have been great. It's basically whoever does the spec close enough for you, at a price you're willing to pay, kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Mojo City Knuckles are good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Loads of great pickup winders out there. I'll give a shout out to someone from my neighborhood in Sunderland, Alan Dingwall....

https://www.spiritpickups.com/

I've never heard a bad review about his work. I have a set of his Spirit 60s pickups in my Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    edited June 2023
    House of Tone pickups based in Chester do some great work. Highly recommended 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Alegree pickups is run by a member here. I specified what I wanted in a filtertron and he made it to spec and was just what I wanted.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Oil City for the win. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Why not just buy a SD antiquity pup? Because I'd rather buy made in the UK tbh. 
    Admirable sentiment but, possibly, misplaced.

The Duncan Antiquity humbucker is one amongst many attempts to recreate the finest Gibson Patent Applied For and early Patent Number units. Tricky, considering how variable the originals were. 

How accurate any of the available recreations is is subjective. It is possible that one brand is more historically accurate in its choice of materials and construction methods than another but that your ears prefer the sounds of the "less accurate" example.

In short, if you require a sound and/or dynamic response that you have heard from a Duncan Antiquity pickup, buy another Duncan Antiquity.
    Be seeing you.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 664
    Loads of great pickup winders out there. I'll give a shout out to someone from my neighborhood in Sunderland, Alan Dingwall....

https://www.spiritpickups.com/

I've never heard a bad review about his work. I have a set of his Spirit 60s pickups in my Tele.
    This ^^^^^^
    ive had various sets of Alan’s pickups and they are awesome. Discuss your needs with him and he will sort you out. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    @nacnudnai your thoughts?
    My gut is to say the Monty's PAF is closest but it's been a while since I've played the Antiquities.
    Tim
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    timmypix said:
    @nacnudnai your thoughts?
    My gut is to say the Monty's PAF is closest but it's been a while since I've played the Antiquities.
    HMMM - I think there's a good bit of distance between the Monty's PAF neck and the Antiquity.

My experience with the Antiquities is, partially due to the degaussed A2 mags, they are slightly brighter/more brittle than many other PAF-likes. The Montys wouldn't necessarily capture that (don't get me wrong though, its an excellent neck pickup). The Montys PAFs are a bit angrier, and beefier, than the Antiquities.

Of the UK stuff I've tried, I actually think an OX4 low wind neck would get you [nearly] there. The A4 low wind neck is brighter and more polite like the Antiquities, it felt much closer to me. Mark offers them with any alnico magnet you want, so you could get it with an A2 magnet, or get the A4 low wind (Mark's standard option) and mag swap to A2. I'm sure Mark could advise much better than I could though! 

I'd caveat with many of the UK winders will probably help you get near it if you ask them nicely, but to me the low wind is the nearest off the shelf option.