Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Belly up- acoustic guitar - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Belly up- acoustic guitar

What's Hot
I picked up a super cheap encore for a charity I'm working with recently. 
It has a very pronounced belly. Somebody has added more glue under the bridge and some additional screws to patch it. The top is super bulged though. 

I really don't want to throw it away as it seems like a waste. On the other hand I don't particularly want to spend £120 on the stewmac approved tools. 

Any thoughts?
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    will a bridge doctor solve it, costs around £25
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Admittedly without seeing how bad it is… there are some things that are sadly beyond sensible repair. You could try the Bridge Doctor but if it’s already got extra glue and screws in it, even that’s probably just throwing good money after bad. There’s a good chance the plywood has started to delaminate under the bridge, they do that when the bulge is severe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    Thank you guys. I've had a few friends asking me to document what im doing.

I've done a very quick video and uploaded this to Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs5_vTguyPz/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

I'd like to have a go at fixing it. I know its not cost efficient but I'm using it as a learning experience. I think its been sat on a stand near a window. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:

I'd like to have a go at fixing it. I know its not cost efficient but I'm using it as a learning experience. I think its been sat on a stand near a window. 
    Yes... the technical description of that is fucked. For the top to be twisted up like that the ply will have come apart internally.

The only way I can think of to fix that from a functional point of view is to remove the whole bridge, make an oversized new one  that extends a long way further back (or find an old Eko bridge if you can - I think I have a 12-string one somewhere, I'll look later), make a similarly oversized bridgeplate, and bolt the two together through the top. Even then I doubt you'll be able to totally flatten the top, so playability may still be compromised.

Or do what I did with my first classical guitar which I ignorantly destroyed by fitting steel strings to... I took the neck and bridge off and used them to make a solidbody 'acoustic' from a plank of Parana pine, since I'd just seen the Gibson Chet Atkins model Mark Knopfler played on the Alchemy album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    DrJazzTap said:

Yes... the technical description of that is fucked. For the top to be twisted up like that the ply will have come apart internally.

The only way I can think of to fix that from a functional point of view is to remove the whole bridge, make an oversized new one  that extends a long way further back (or find an old Eko bridge if you can - I think I have a 12-string one somewhere, I'll look later), make a similarly oversized bridgeplate, and bolt the two together through the top. Even then I doubt you'll be able to totally flatten the top, so playability may still be compromised.

Or do what I did with my first classical guitar which I ignorantly destroyed by fitting steel strings to... I took the neck and bridge off and used them to make a solidbody 'acoustic' from a plank of Parana pine, since I'd just seen the Gibson Chet Atkins model Mark Knopfler played on the Alchemy album.

Thanks mate. I could do with some off cuts of wood for filling in dents and chips on a fretboard.  Although I'm now tempted to make some sort of blues box. 
    DrJazzTap said:

Although I'm now tempted to make some sort of blues box. 
    Oil can guitar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    DrJazzTap said:

Although I'm now tempted to make some sort of blues box. 
    Oil can guitar?
    That's an absolutely fantastic idea. My father is a retired engineer so I'm gonna see what he's got lying around .