Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). audio interface vs modeller pedal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

audio interface vs modeller pedal

What's Hot
opinions wanted.
Im not gigging, not recording, just playing guitar for fun.

which is the better investment? a audio interface and a plugin or something more fully featured like a podgo or a nux? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    edited May 2023
    pod go, stomp etc, or  for a slightly better option  Boss GX100/GT1000.

They all double up as audio interfaces so best of both worlds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    If not recording right now then I'd probably go HX Stomp. Full modelling of amps & FX, can go into FRFR or amp or PA or headphones equally well, makes a great interface as & when, and gives you access to discounted Helix Native if you ever want it. 

Mine is honestly one of the best bits of gear I've ever bought. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited May 2023
    Well, a modeller can run independently of your computer - it depends whether you'll always be next to your PC when playing.

Of course, that's a double-edged sword...if you do end up at the gigging stage, it's really annoying to have to disconnect the modeller every time you have rehearsals/gigs, rather than just grab-and-go.

Final consideration is...you can get much more for your money in terms of profiling plugins these days, if you're willing to go down the audio interface route. IK ToneX is less than £100, and combined with any old interface it will sound fantastic.

I'd strongly consider whether you have decent monitors, though, if you're planning to go down the ampless route (whether with an interface or a modeller). Headphones don't really cut it. It's easy enough to do that on a seriously low budget - I use a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 passive monitors (£60 on eBay) with an old Denon mini hi-fi (about £20 on eBay, they go cheap because they've always got knackered CD drives, but work perfectly as a fairly flat amp).
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I use my Helix as my interface / sound card etc etc.

I did have a Focusrite interface but I just don't need to use it as the Helix does it all. I have Yamaha HS7 monitors connected directly to the helix so I can use it without turning the PC on. When the PC is on all PC sound goes that way too. So I get the benefit of the HS7s for Netflix / music listening as well. I have my Bass Station 2 and mics all connected all the time too.

Helix USB into the PC works the same as any other interface so I imagine the PodGo would do the same

My Helix is the rack version and I don't take it anywhere. It's in a rack unit with my PC. I have no interest in taking it all apart every time I want to play out, and when I gig I almost always gig on bass. It's been a good 7 years since I did a gig on guitar.

If I did gig on guitar again I'd probably be happy with a PodGo. I'm not particularly needy when it comes to live sounds. 

So it really depends on your personal use of it. 

Do PodGo buyers get a discount on Helix Native or is that just for Helix buyers?

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    On faceache you can usually buy behringer monitors pretty cheaply. 

I got truth 2031's for £60 the pair. Guy even chucked in xlrs
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Assuming you have a decent computer and monitors I’d go plug-ins every time for home use. I got an IK Axe I/o with ToneX and Amplitube Max for under £400. Add Helix Native when it’s on sale and you’ve got everything you could ever need.

For the record I also own an amp and Kemper for live use but plug-ins at home all the way. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 242
    I’ve got a hx stomp but recently I’ve been preferring a Focusrite scarlet and Amplitube. Although I love the stomp I’ve always struggled to get sounds I really like for the most part - with Amplitube I can get something I like very quickly. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I had exactly this dilemma for bass.

I had a choice between Helix Native plus amplification and a preamp pedal plus amplification. 

For me, I ended up going the preamp pedal route for 99% of my bass playing. I found that I'm more likely to play if all I have to do is turn on a speaker, rather than boot my PC, log in, open a DAW, find a preset, etc. I also found that the preamp pedal gave me exactly the sound I wanted - no fannying around with EQ shelves, IRs, compressors, etc etc. Its just much simpler.

I obviously do still have the plugin route for the days i do want to fanny around with sounds, but those are few and far between. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I've tried interface/plugins a few times for casual play as they give excellent bang for the buck - assuming you already own a computer and interface anyway. But the latency with my setup always makes it a pretty unpleasant experience.

Admittedly my stuff is pretty low-end: Focusrite Scarlet Solo gen 1 into an 8 year old Dell laptop

But just wanted to mention it as no-one has yet
  • You can actually download a demo version of Line 6 Pod Farm (I think that’s what it’s called) which is basically Helix in software form. Download demos of Guitar Rig, Amplitube and Bias Amp and the. Run your own A/B/C tests. I did this and found I liked them all but I think Amplitube has the edge on the others. If you love crazy effects, guitar rig is best, if you love to tweak, Bias is really fun. But YMMV!
  • For what it’s worth, I’ve discovered I prefer the sound of an SM57 on my amp at low volumes using pedals for drive. I even monitor the track on speakers rather than headphones, allowing the bleed to come through. Ok, when I say low volumes…I’m sure the neighbours can hear!