Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cittern or Lute ? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cittern or Lute ?

What's Hot

Hi can anyone help identify this instrument

I have it up for sale but not too sure if it is a Cittern or Lute ? 16 strings with what feels like a hollow neck   ,  I read that Citterns use metal strings but this has both bronze and nylon strings .  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Generally speaking

Citterns have a flat back.
    Lutes have a bowl.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Ask Sting  ;)
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I’m no help at all but how on earth would you play that instrument?
    I’d need a year just to change the strings!
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I wouldn’t be certain it’s either. Citterns are to my knowledge 5 courses of strings. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    I would hazard a guess at a modern flatback eleven-course lute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KKJale said:
    I would hazard a guess at a modern flatback eleven-course lute.
    Thanks , will go with this option when listing .  
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited May 2023
    Cittern and lutes are related instruments and both come in a number of different versions. But, all cittern have wire strings and lutes are gut/nylon strung. The bridge and neck would suggest it has been made for nylon strings . The windings on nylon strings are not always silver in colour .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'd say a lute.

They're nylon strings for sure. Note the "boy scout" knots at the bridge.

:) 
  • Thanks again for the comments will go down the lute route - 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Mellish said:
    Note the "boy scout" knots at the bridge.
    Hitches, actually. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Funkfingers ; there's some wonderful boyscout knots knocking around. Some are so simple yet work fantastically well. 

:) 
  • ' Sixteen strings and what to you get? Mighty frustrated and covered in sweat!'
    To paraphrase Tennesse Ernie Ford.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Definitely not a lute, based on modern interpretations of historical drawings and surviving instruments. I would class it as a 'glute' (yes, it's a real thing). Basically a hybrid guitar/lute which started to appear in the 19th century once the lute was passed it's peak. Curious to know what the tuning is, as an 11c instrument would normally be tuned to Dm, but this is probably in a guitar like tuning.