Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NUX Mighty Air or wait for PG Spark Go EDIT I went for the Spark Go - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NUX Mighty Air or wait for PG Spark Go EDIT I went for the Spark Go

What's Hot
BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
edited June 2023 in Digital & Modelling
As above.

I've been looking at small desktop practice amps and have narrowed it down to these 2 amps.

I've ruled out the THRs and the Boss Dual Cube LX as they don't have OD/Dist stomp box modelling.

Essential features are:

Bluetooth
Portable
Rechargable
Sounds good through phones (this will be the way i use it 90%)

What think you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Well the fact that the Spark Go has just come into stock at Guitarguitar for immediate dispatch has made my mind up for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    I’ve got a Nux Mighty Plug Pro. 
    Can’t recommend it highly enough 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    So I ordered the Spark Go from GuitarGuitar.

I previously owned a Spark 40 and sold it because the app just felt very "beta". I also wasn't happy with the bass-heavy sound and the hum issue that affected early units.

I heard good things that some of the issues I had with the app had been resolved.

So the Spark Go arrives and straight out the box sounds very impressive for such a small unit apart from some severe speaker clipping when played reasonably loud. I installed the firmware update and downloaded the app only to find that bluetooth keeps disconnecting the device from my phone (Google Pixel 7 running Android 13). After trying all the troubleshooting tips on the PG website the problem persists. I've opened a ticket with PG support. Really disappointed. These products just keep letting me down.
    UPDATE.

PG tech support suggested that I change my Google Pixel 7 screen refresh rate from 90 to 60Hz and the Bluetooth connection between phone and Spark Go has been solid for days. Result!
  • I have Spark Mini and am pretty happy with it. If you decide to sell the Go, hit me up. I would love a wireless version of the Mini though
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    What's the sound quality like for streaming music on the Go?
    I'm not an audiophile and I don't understand much of the jargon used in hi-fi and stereo reviews, but to me it sounds great.

I just tested it with "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago and "Jackie" by Scott Walker to see how it handles some significant dynamic range and it held up well. Nice and clear and surprisingly loud. The speaker doesn't clip at high volume when streaming music the way it can when pushing it too hard with guitar.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    My app disconnects every time I go into something else on the phone. Spark 40 though. Mildly annoying but reconnects as soon as you go back in. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I have Spark Mini and am pretty happy with it. If you decide to sell the Go, hit me up. I would love a wireless version of the Mini though
    I just got a mini , they’re immense  awesome little thing 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 411
    BigPaulie said:
    I'm not an audiophile and I don't understand much of the jargon used in hi-fi and stereo reviews, but to me it sounds great.

I just tested it with "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago and "Jackie" by Scott Walker to see how it handles some significant dynamic range and it held up well. Nice and clear and surprisingly loud. The speaker doesn't clip at high volume when streaming music the way it can when pushing it too hard with guitar.
    'Jackie' by Mr Walker is a Hell of a tune! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    longjaw said:
    BigPaulie said:

'Jackie' by Mr Walker is a Hell of a tune! 
    Indeed it is!

The first time I heard it I was totally blown away. You can't help but be caught up in his tour de force performance. Breathless and breath-taking!
    So I decided the wireless would work for me better and a Mighty Air arrived today. Only had a brief play but it sounds okay for a tiny speaker and I can see it being very convenient for practice. First impressions are that it would be nice if it had a proper master volume and separate volume for Bluetooth audio which I think the Spark Go has but I'm sure I'll find a way to live with it once I get my patches dialed in
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 16
    @BigPaulie @flying_pie ;
    Can I ask how you're getting with the Spark Go and NUX Air?

I am in exactly the same position - looking for a simple amp for use in the lounge. I initially thought of the Boss Katana Mini which would be my first choice due to its simplicity. But as it doesn't have reverb that kind of excludes it for me as I really prefer to have an amp with reverb - I use a reverb pedal with my main amp but the point of this amp is to just plug in and have no pedals.

So I'm looking at the Spark Go or the Mightly Air. I also see NUX have just released the Mighty Lite MK2, but so far it's not available in the UK.

I'd me interested in your updated views.

Thanks
    @rickd2112a all I can say is that I'm using the Mighty Air loads. The tones are okay but it's tiny, easy to carry about the house and I love the wireless and Bluetooth integration. I have 7 saved tones and can go to one of them, stream backing tracks of YouTube and practice improv, or fire up Spotify and play along to whatever I need to learn for rehearsal. I love not having to plug it in or get a lead before I play.

I should point out I live in a small cottage and have a proper amp, pedalboard , etc in an outbuilding but do most of my playing in the house whenever I get time. A tiny amp that's out of the way and can stay in the bedroom or be carried into the summerhouse just works perfectly for me.

I reckon they'll all be much of a muchness and it comes down to what features you need most
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    BigPaulie said:

Indeed it is!

The first time I heard it I was totally blown away. You can't help but be caught up in his tour de force performance. Breathless and breath-taking!
    100% agree. A fantastic track. Marc Almond does a decent version too - but Scott Walker is best.