Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Coverting a Les Paul to Jimmy Page style 'out of phase' wiring. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Coverting a Les Paul to Jimmy Page style 'out of phase' wiring.

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 261
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
I know Page has his two Les Pauls set up for a variety of tones but I really want to have that push/pull tone switch for the 'out of phase' tone. Anyone have experience? How easy is it? The Les Paul is a 2019 Traditional. Can you buy such a thing? 

Picture because I’ve figured out how to do it easily after about 7 years posting. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    I think that your pickups have braided 2-conductor cables? If so you'll need to modify one in order to change its phase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Actually, there are two different types of Page out-of-phase sound.

1) The simple two pickup Peter Green style.
    2) The sound he would have got from the stock wiring on his black triple pickup LP Custom.

The distance between the selected pickups affects the comb filtering of frequencies.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 261
    Actually, there are two different types of Page out-of-phase sound.

1) The simple two pickup Peter Green style.
    2) The sound he would have got from the stock wiring on his black triple pickup LP Custom.

The distance between the selected pickups affects the comb filtering of frequencies.
    Did that not get pinched from a gig in New York in 1970?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have seen wiring harnesses for sale after a few Googles. The wiring on my stock pups is the issue though? 

I’m really a novice when it comes this. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited May 2023
    I have seen wiring harnesses for sale after a few Googles. The wiring on my stock pups is the issue though? 

I’m really a novice when it comes this. 
    Here you go. It's pretty comprehesive.  https://amzn.eu/d/3M2Dmsu

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The wiring on my stock pups is the issue though? 
    A photo of the inside of the control cavity will tell us
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The stock 3-pickup Custom wiring is not out-of-phase - it’s the same as the bridge-and-middle position on a Strat, often called that when really it’s just the notch filtering of two closely-spaced parallel *in*-phase pickups.

It’s one of my favourite sounds on any Les Paul - like a Strat but without the irritating thinness ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok, a few things worth noting here. Full “jimmy page wiring” actually involves 4x push-pull pots, one for phase, two for coil splits for each pickup, and one for series/parallel wiring. 

You can buy entire wiring harnesses that do this but you probably don’t need all of that as the phase switch is usually the most interesting tonally. 

But regardless, the first thing you need to do is establish what’s already in your guitar. Open up the control cavity and see what is there - it’s probably single-conductor wire with a braided shield going to individual pots. Assuming that’s correct, you would only need to change one pot for a push-pull pot, but also mod or swap a pickup to enable the phase switching 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I had an Edwards JP with the full wiring, 21 different sounds, but the OOP was probably the most interesting, some of the single coil settings were quite nice too though.
    Ok, a few things worth noting here. Full “jimmy page wiring” actually involves 4x push-pull pots, one for phase, two for coil splits for each pickup, and one for series/parallel wiring. 

You can buy entire wiring harnesses that do this but you probably don’t need all of that as the phase switch is usually the most interesting tonally. 

But regardless, the first thing you need to do is establish what’s already in your guitar. Open up the control cavity and see what is there - it’s probably single-conductor wire with a braided shield going to individual pots. Assuming that’s correct, you would only need to change one pot for a push-pull pot, but also mod or swap a pickup to enable the phase switching 
    Spot on. I remember the JP signature guitars that came out in 97(?) that had 20+ options. Overkill I reckon. I just want to get that JP/Peter Green/BB King sound. 

I’ll post a pic of the cavity when I get a chance. 
    edited May 2023
    The circuit commonly referred to as Jimmy Page wiring was actually created by Schecter Guitar Research back when they were just parts makers.

Some of Page's guitars have Freeway 6-way toggle selector switches. These give the three normal selections on one Bank and the Green-style phase reversal on the other Bank. (I cannot recall what the other two options were.)

Page has said in interviews that the Green sound is the only non-standard sound he wants and/or uses.

IMO, the best application for a JP wiring harness is pickup testing. Screw down terminals make for quick, solderless changes. 

ICBM said:
    The stock 3-pickup Custom wiring is not out-of-phase - it’s the same as the bridge-and-middle position on a Strat, often called that when really it’s just the notch filtering of two closely-spaced parallel *in*-phase pickups.

It’s one of my favourite sounds on any Les Paul - like a Strat but without the irritating thinness .
    That is a pretty accurate description of the sounds I get from selector switch positions 2 and 4 on my modified PRS EG3 II. (Three humbuckers, no coil splittage.)
    Be seeing you.
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    Axetec do all the parts as a kit,  Can't get the link to work though 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    As long as your bridge humbucker has 4 conductor wiring you can wire a push pull pot to reverse phase 

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/collections/prewired-harnesses/products/les-paul-out-of-phase-wiring-harness

or you can wire it yourself 

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/les-paul-out-of-phase-peter-green-mod
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    edited May 2023
    As long as your bridge humbucker has 4 conductor wiring you can wire a push pull pot to reverse phase 
    TBH, two-conductor + shield cable à la mid Seventies would suffice.

Nice pre-wired harness, BTW. It is fortunate that only the outermost terminals of the push-pull pot PCB need to be accessible for home installation. 
    Be seeing you.