Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nylon string crossover with cutaway - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nylon string crossover with cutaway

Hi -
  does anyone have any recommendations or experience of a high-quality nylon string crossover with cutaway and with a built-in pickup system? I'm looking for a guitar which sounds good acoustically and plugged-in and which has a narrower, steel strung type, neck. Realistically, I'd probably play the guitar more unplugged than through an amp, so the natural tone has to be good.

It seems that a lot of these types of guitar seem to compromise on the acoustic tone, which is a pity. It seems that even quite decent makers of steel string acoustics don't really make particularly good nylon strung acoustics i.e. its not their speciality. Also,a lot of the better sounding ones seem to have standard width classical necks, which I don't want.

Thanks for any experience or recommendation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Have a look at the Faith Lyra https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars/archived-products/product/255-flcehg-lyra-nylon-string-cut-electro 

Can’t comment on the electrics as I only plugged in to check they worked but it ticks your other boxes. Only sold mine as I was playing steel string more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    I have an ibanez ae450 and an Alvarez rc20sc. Both good. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    I have a Taylor 312CE-N, bought last year.  It’s acoustic and electric sounds are really good (and I’m a really fussy bugger when it comes to acoustic guitar amplified sounds).  It’s neck is quite wide, like a classical, but has some fretboard radius, which makes it much easier to play for me as a long time steel string acoustic/electric guitar player.  Neck depth is probably not as big as a classical.  I love it and play it a lot.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    I've got a Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural which has a 48mm nut. I've never actually plugged it in but I'm very happy with the unplugged sound. If I'd had a bigger budget I'd have definitely looked into one of the Furch offerings.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    What about a Yamaha SLG200N silent guitar, nylon strung? Around £660 new, bit less used.
    I know you wanted acoustic as well, but I know someone who has one & it's a nice instrument.

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    Went to see Lulo Reinhardt and Lulyia Lansykaya Saturday night and Lulo has a guitar designed like his. But it's big and loud. Just under £700.00. If it's anything like the one he played it should be a cracker.

• GTCGTC Frets: 241
    It is worth looking at the Furch GNC series. I have tried quite few crossovers and it is by far the best I've found for tonal balance. Nut width (45mm) and fretboard radius are similar to a steel-strung unlike most other crossovers. It is very comfortable to play. 

Generally I've found that crossovers made by predominately steel strung makers are a bit too heavily built and dull in tone whilst those made by classical makers are too boomy.

They are not cheap - expect to pay around £1.2k to £2.2k depending on model.

• I think the best one for you would be a Lowden SJ model, but it will be expensive and difficult to sell later if you don't like it.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    I think the problem with expensive crossover guitars is that most people who buy crossovers are buying them as 'a bit of nylon' in the collection and not as a main guitar.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Godin. They have a fair few.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    I had an Avalon one
    Very nice, intentionally not responsive acoustically - intended for use on stage with reduced feedback
    I decided I didn't like the narrowed, radiused fingerboard

I had a Godin Multiac once, didn't like that much.

I'd now consider using a Yamaha silent guitar for plugged-in classical. Not a narrow nut though.
    I have bought a cheapy HB one from Thomann for fun:
    Harley Benton HBO-850 Classic Natural – Thomann UK. Also Not a narrow nut though.
  • PickNickPickNick Frets: 2
    Thanks for all the suggestions - a couple like the Faith and the Kremona weren't on my radar. If Lulo Reinhardt plays a Kremona it can't be bad! I'm also a sucker for cedar tops - as on the Faith Lyra.

I'm a big fan of Furch guitars. The GNC series are definitely worth a serious look.

I think it's a matter now of going and trying as many of the above as possible, though some are a bit hard to find in guitar shops.