Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). spraying lake placid blue? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

spraying lake placid blue?

What's Hot
I'm sure I've seen people use a silver base coat before the blue - is that right or would the LPB aerosols work over a clear sanding sealer (I like Manchester guitar tech's spray cans)  

Any other tips for getting a good aged looking LPB finish?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 697
    edited May 2023
    LPB is it's own metallic colour. It isn't 'made' by spraying a metallic silver or gold base coat with transparent blue over it - that's how you would create Candy Apple Red (transparent red obvs), but not LPB. LPB would usually be over a primer coat, typically white (which itself would be over a sealer like Fullerplast), and as Fender principally made sunburst Strats it might also be over a 'failed' sunburst finish. Metallics are always clear coated too (not always the case with solid colours - sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't). Tinted clear coats will give more of a greeny blue compared with untinted clear, which will retain more of the blue.

This is an interesting read:
    http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

Also take a look at some Fender Custom Shop finishers on Instagram:

@jo3l_lpz9 - Joel Lopez

@jncolor - Jay Nelson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    That's right, the  majority of metallic colours are aluminium powder suspended in a coloured lacquer. 

For Candy Apple Red, Fender copied the contemporary Custom Car sprayers who used a silver base coat with a clear coloured lacquer over the top which gives brighter colours. 

Another exception is Gibson "Gold Top" which is bronze powder suspended in clear lacquer.

Thanks for the endorsement, you can use my light tint over my LPB to good effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    That was a very interesting read.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    I always use a white base coat on the wood first then metallics, it's made flat before that colour goes on, even with a candy apple with silver or gold etc, that's how I do it anyway.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I didn't use a silver base coat on mine and this is how it looks:

It took me a few days to get to this point. A bit of a rollercoaster: I've broken it; no, it looks great; let's give it another coat... shit, I've screwed it up completely; a bit of sanding... even worse!; another coat... looks great! Fortunately the can was big enough so that even an ignorant like me could get it right-ish.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Thanks chaps,  good to know if I choose LPD it will be simple enough and I'll use tinted lacquer to give it the more aged shade I'm looking for.