Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone know what this pickup is? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone know what this pickup is?

What's Hot
PennPenn Frets: 351

It was random. EBay buy. Apparently tests at 5.56 but I’ve ordered a meter to check.

Anyone know what it is? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    no idea, but looks like it could do with and iron filing clean up
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    bertie said:
    I paid extra for those. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Either my customers have very dirty pickups and acid sweat - or that baseplate looks a bit too clean for the 'relic colour' of the poles. It looks a bit baggy and loosely wound on the turns at the bottom neck end of the pickup, and the soldering of the eyelets is a bit more rustic than I'm used to seeing on older Fender pickups. No date stamp or other markings so if I had to guess I'd say either a late era Fender - perhaps Japanese, or a small independent winder.  Though saying that the wire 'stress relief hole' in the baseplate looks a bit 'slack fitting' for a US Fender or Japanese. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This was the advert and seeing it in the flesh I think I’ve been mislead 

Fender USA Custom Shop Single Coil Pure Vintage Pickup. Great sound and aged vintage feel, staggered poles. bridge position, measures 5.56.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Could be a Tokai
    Hummm I personally wouldn't have thought that's 'Custom Shop'. 
    ...... er ..... how can you get a vintage 'feel' in a pickup? Vintage sound yes ... feel .... well crumbly and knackered is how many vintage pickups feel when they first come onto my bench .... I usually try to stop the crumbly bit (they often stink too).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    It's half of a humbucker. 

Raise an ebay dispute. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    skunkwerx said:
    It's half of a humbucker. 

Raise an ebay dispute. 
    For 30 quid I’m not sure I can be bothered. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Interesting damage around the soldering eyelets on the baseplate. Not sure why the end of the white insulation has frayed?

I wonder whether the output conductors in the photograph are original. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Interesting damage around the soldering eyelets on the baseplate. Not sure why the end of the white insulation has frayed?

I wonder whether the output conductors in the photograph are original. 
    Because although the pickup has clearly been wax potted - but it may well have been before the output wires were soldered. some cloth covered hook-up wire frays like a bastard if it doesn't get thoroughly wax dipped. The  'damage' to and around the eyelets is just piss poor soldering combined possibly with flux paste burning off. I think the solder might be lead free 'cooked' at too low a temperature, it looks too lumpy for old lead/tin solder. Of course it could be a 'repair' but I think that dates the pickup as modern as nobody was concerned about getting brain damaged in times of yore. 

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Bag it and throw it away immediately.  The base plate is blue asbestos !!   ;)
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    I think they title is contradictory anyway, pure vintage is the name of the regular USA stuff, not custom shop
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    bertie said:
    Just as @OilCityPickups said in the thread about cleaning fretboards, where wire wool was mentioned:
    "But mask your pickups on a non removable neck guitar - steel wool plays absolute havoc with them".
    @bertie qualified this by providing a link to Lollar Pickups website in his comment:
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Bertie in actually being helpful  shock horror

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Maybe I’ll have to just buy a set of new pickups for the green thing I’m building. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited May 2023
    The solder joint on the left (bottom) looks a bit iffy like it's not got enough solder but maybe it's just the pic?

At least if you don't know what it is (make etc.) you can be totally objective about how it sounds. 
    tFB Trader
    It's a lowish wind plain enamel strat pickup ... it'll sound good. Maybe not outstanding, but good. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If it's not been damaged by pushing the G pole down slightly, which appears to have been done as it's sticking out a bit on the bottom - it won't be if it meters OK - then it's got to be worth roughly that much no matter what it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Maybe not outstanding, but good. 

A bit less objective now  =)
    It's a lowish wind plain enamel strat pickup ... it'll sound good. Maybe not outstanding, but good. 
    Ash are you suggesting you might be able to do something better? ;) 
    ICBM said:
    If it's not been damaged by pushing the G pole down slightly, which appears to have been done as it's sticking out a bit on the bottom - it won't be if it meters OK - then it's got to be worth roughly that much no matter what it is.
    I might have pushed it back up… I may also have checked it and it might still read on a meter. 
    tFB Trader

A bit less objective now 
    What I do is make Strat pickups I personally like ... they aren't really better than any other hand made pickups ... just different. if people like them, great, if not, there are plenty more different flavours to try from other makers :-) 

For me I personally like 6k with plain enamel rather than 5,5 or similar. Chunkier mids and big 'piano' open strings. I prefer Heavy Formvar for lower winding levels. 

edited May 2023

A bit less objective now 
    What I do is make Strat pickups I personally like ... they aren't really better than any other hand made pickups ... just different. if people like them, great, if not, there are plenty more different flavours to try from other makers :-) 

For me I personally like 6k with plain enamel rather than 5,5 or similar. Chunkier mids and big 'piano' open strings. I prefer Heavy Formvar for lower winding levels. 

Ah sorry, I was just trying to make a funny continuing from my previous comment. 
    Sooo anyone? Any idea?
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Could be a Tokai
    I thought that too . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !