Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rocky Mountain Way - on a single standard tuned guitar - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rocky Mountain Way - on a single standard tuned guitar

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
The new band I'm in have chosen to do the awesome Rocky Mountain Way; that's cool, I love the tune and I have a talkbox etc.

However, on closer inspection, the slide and rhythm are in open tuning and the talkbox is standard tuning... and I'm the only guitarist in the band.

I'm currently thinking of just doing everything in standard tuning, which is fine for working out the rhythm parts - however, I've not really done slide before. How hard is it likely to be playing slide in standard tuning? I'm assuming it's going to limit some of the phrasing, but I think that's OK as long as I'm not stitching myself up....!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Are you in a tribute band? or playing in the dog and duck??

If the latter, seriously, don't beat yourself up about it... most people won't care
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    Very true....! It's just a covers band (a house band at a music venue).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    You can def do it close enough in standard. I'm not even sure I'd bother playing the slide bits with a slide, especially if you're new to slide in general - I'm sure I didn't when I first played it as a teenager. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    You can def do it close enough in standard. I'm not even sure I'd bother playing the slide bits with a slide, especially if you're new to slide in general - I'm sure I didn't when I first played it as a teenager. 
    Yeah, good point - especially as all my guitars have very low action. I'll have to experiment with it and see what I can do. I'd have thought lots of slides and vibrato would almost cover it.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    I used to do it on an RG550!!! with a slide...in normal tuning

Its pretty easy if keep the major 3rd on the G string in your mind..

Or just play it with a trem and no slide, for pub covers the latter is more than acceptable. the Talkbox bits actually gets more punter wows
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited May 2023
    I wouldn't even bother with the slide for this one - just blaze away in E minor pentatonic for the intro and solo bits.
    The rhythm is just a D barre at 5th fret going up to 7th with an added 6th notes occasionally - with a barred A at second fret for the verses going up to B all in standard tuning. There's no reason to go to open E tuning for these parts.

Just like a headless horse without a horse.