Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Angel Wing Harp Guitar - Major Redesign - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Angel Wing Harp Guitar - Major Redesign

GTCGTC Frets: 241
Last year I posted an NGD regarding my 22-string Harp Guitar - made for me by Alan Miller.https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237377/

I found in playing that having the sub-bass strings ascending rather than the normal descending was counter-intuitive. I tried reversing them but this meant that that the deeper strings had a shorter scale length which limited the overall range.

I asked Alan if anything could be done and threw in a couple of ideas. The result is a completely redesigned "upper wing" with longer scale lengths for the descending sub-basses. Before and after photos are shown below:

All strings are nylon - with the super trebles going from e (same as guitar 1st string) to e (an octave higher) and the sub-basses d (a tone below the guitar 6th string) to d (an octave lower). This gives a really satisfying range with a lovely resonant sound - and much more intuitive to play.

Other additions were an arm rest and two bars on the top to improve the string break angles for the super trebles and sub basses. Needless to say, I'm delighted with it.

I'm currently enjoying getting to grips with it having fun with my own simple arrangement of Dvoraks New World symphony (the Hovis ad bit)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    That's amazing. But how many arms do you have? I have enough problems with 6 strings; you'd need three of me to play that. Do you have any sound clips?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    drofluf said:
    That's amazing. But how many arms do you have? I have enough problems with 6 strings; you'd need three of me to play that. Do you have any sound clips?
    Just two arms and a dodgy fretting ring finger to boot! It is a challenge no doubt - and one I'm still trying to get to grips with. There may be a sound clip when I feel confident enough to do one without embarrassing myself.

I've never been too good with exercises and having a simple tune to mess around with and experiment ha helped greatly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The accomplished harp guitarist Jon Pickard dropped by when passing through on Friday and suggested going an octave higher on the super-trebles which would increase the range further. I'm just trying to work out the string choice.

If anyone wants to witness the full potential of a harp guitar with sub-basses and super-trebles then it is worth looking up the videos on Jon's website https://www.jonpickard.co.uk/harp-guitar .

He also has a concert on in Taunton on Friday 9th June - details here https://www.creativeinnovationcentre.co.uk/live-music/classical-guitar-harp-guitar-concert-with-jonathan-pickard-fri-9th-jun/
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I've always vaguely wondered how you'd play a harp guitar.

Thanks for the links to the Jon Pickard site - now I know how they're played, and I've just enjoyed some wonderful music too.

Do you tune the bass and super-treble strings according to what you're playing (key), or are they always kept in a standard tuning?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited May 2023
    TTony said:
    I've always vaguely wondered how you'd play a harp guitar.

Thanks for the links to the Jon Pickard site - now I know how they're played, and I've just enjoyed some wonderful music too.

Do you tune the bass and super-treble strings according to what you're playing (key), or are they always kept in a standard tuning?
    I'm pleased you enjoyed it. You might wish to look up the harp guitar videos of the incredible US guitarist and harp guitarist Muriel Anderson as well (You Tube). 

There are various preferences for tuning of the sub-basses and super-trebles - dependant on what you are playing, the strings used and how many strings there are. You'll quickly find out that there is no such thing as a standard harp guitar.

However, for switching keys, the levers below the tuning machines allow for the raising of the pitch on each string by a semitone. Once I settle on the ranges that suit me (still experimenting with the super-trebles) I will leave them in a fixed tuning and just use the levers to change key.