Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Killswitch Installation - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Killswitch Installation

What's Hot
Hi all
Looking for help from the oracle's of The Fretboard again.

I'd like to install a three way switch (Gibson style) on my strat as a Killswitch.
How does the wiring work, I'd like it to be on when the switch is down and off when the switch is middle and up. On as in it makes noise when it's on.

I've read so many conflicting pages of advice. Any diagrams, crude as you like, will be a big help. I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron, I've already changed pickups and put a spst coil tap in.

Thanks all 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Easy - a kill switch needs to be wired to short hot to ground, not to make an open circuit (or you get hum when it's open), so the contacts which are open when the switch is down are the ones to use - one to hot, one to ground, doesn't matter which way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    edited May 2023
    Here’s the Buckethead sig wiring diagram, shows two different kill switches in the circuit 

Just imagine an extra pole on the killswitch which you leave unconnected (if you’re using a 3 pole switch instead of arcade style buttons in the diagram)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    Thank you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I got a couple of these and really like them

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005004004390841.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.fe44f19cjym1j0

Going to drill out the pickguard and replace the volume knob nearest the bridge on my bitsa

Just infodumping for the benefit anyone searching 'killswitch'. As you were : )

Good luck
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I quite like the thing of removing the latch from a push-push pot and using that. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I quite like the thing of removing the latch from a push-push pot and using that. 
    I’ve got a CTS one with a broken latch that rather than trying to fix, I’m keeping to do exactly that with when the opportunity arises…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

I’ve got some Sanwa arcade buttons ready to fit if i ever finish the next build, super light action 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    They look cool @elstoof ;
    They’re the same ones Buckethead uses, straight off a street fighter arcade cabinet. Some in a couple of sizes and loads of colours, cheap as chips
    edited May 2023
    Hey everyone, so I've routed the body and the switch has arrived but I'm still unsure (sorry).
    This is the switch. What terminals should I wire?

https://flic.kr/p/2oE7s1n
    edited May 2023
    Running a wire from each of the hot and the ground of the output socket to here should do the trick

You might also need to wire a short length from the ground to the big pin on the other side to avoid any buzz from touching the metal of the switch, depends what you’re mounting the switch onto
    For the easiest wiring I would connect the middle two - the ‘V’ - and the switch frame - the thick lug at the other end - to ground, and the single one on the side which is ‘up’ when holding the guitar to hot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks people 
    I'm going to try it tomorrow 
    Just wanted to pop on here and say thanks, it worked a treat, all ready to rock now! 
    Good stuff