Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gibson J35 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gibson J35

What's Hot
musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
Ok , hands up I am not a big acoustic player. I only have my trusty yamaha that I have owned for over 30 years.
I sold my early 70's SG Standard years when I bought the yamaha ( kids no money).
I managed to track down the SG and met with the owner and we had a goid time chatting and playing stuff. He let me have a go on his L35. Oh no , I fell in love the sound. I never played an acoustic with such a rich sound. I see they are no longer around and the J45 is , but limited numbers. I have read some of the old posts and sounds like the J45 standard would be for me. I think before I shell out over 2.5k I better shift some of my current collection of electrics. What a dilemma !
There is only one I would be happy to part with ( Godin Lgx sa). That wouldn't make much of a dent 
Oh why did I discover such a sweet acoustic ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    J35 or J45??

A good example of a J45 will be a decent electro-acoustic. BUT, try before you buy.

A good Hummingbird will have it beat (IMO), but it's how much you want to spend.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    edited May 2023
    Yes  I always try first. I went once with my mind set to buy a CS strat that was £2k and hated it. I left the shop with a SH standard strat for £550 and never regretted it.
    Problem seems there are very few around...
    Interesting about the hummingbird , thks
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    It might be worth trying a few others.  You might find something like a Furch will sound really good with a less daunting price tag.

You might also find that another Gibson L35 (or J45) doesn't sound as good.  They do vary.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    You can still buy J35s. It’s the Faded version they’re selling at the moment  I’ve got  2015 J35 (not a Faded which weren’t available then) and I love it. It’s less dark sounding than a J45 and has a more balanced sound to my ears. 

Good luck with the search.  
    Thanks. I hadn't heard of Furch and have been reading about Atkins on the forum.
    Oh dear I have opened a door now. I admit I do go and try lots  before buying. It does seem though that stocks are fairly low .
    What I liked about the one I played is the richness of the bass without loss of the highs.
    Again thanks 
    @musicegbdf if that's the one you like, that's the one you should get.

That another (same make and model) will sound the same is a common mistake. It won't because, frankly, it can't.

Yes , you are right. There seems not to be many out there for sale. I also think I should sell one to justify buying another.
    I have a Godin Lgxsa that is in new condition. I have hardly ever played it . Seems none of these on the market in the UK . Not sure if it is a good or bad thing. 
    Now this may sound odd, but I like to get store staff to demo for me ( they love to show their skills) so I can really hear them to compare. 
    I then play to see if I like the feel .
    I have never bought on line.
    Maybe I will pop it up on this forum . Just not sure of the value. Need to do some research.
    @musicegbdf ;No, that's not odd.

By getting a staff member to play it you're getting a sense of how it will sound to others listening to YOU play.

edited May 2023
    Yes , that is exactly what think. Particularly with an acoustic. 
    Same as when I try an electric I try without an amp for a big part of the trial. I like to get the feel of the instrument,  the way is resonates and if feels right I then plug in to see how the electrics sound. I have sometimes bought a guitar that was " right" but changed the electrics. 
    It was playing that J35 and hearing him playing it that opened my ears to a beautiful acoustic sound.  

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I like my J35 more than any acoustic I've ever played at any price - it was about a grand second hand about four years ago.
    Here's a crappy phone video of it, it sounds fantastic in person;

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sweet. Great playing and a bargain at a grand . 
    Going to take time and intend to pass onto my daughter. 
    She is full time professional and still uses the Faith I bought her when she was 16 for £250.
    Though she is mainly a singer.
    It will be her inheritance I am spending so best I leave it to her haha.
    Again , very impressed with video .
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 206
    edited May 2023
    p90fool said:
    I like my J35 more than any acoustic I've ever played at any price - it was about a grand second hand about four years ago.
    Here's a crappy phone video of it, it sounds fantastic in person;

Excellent playing, as usual. Doesn’t take much to make a guitar sound great when played by someone with your skill/ talent. Love the vintage Gibson tone you’re getting.
    Well done, Julian. *applauds*

• tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Looks a beauty. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    @musicegbdf This might fit the bill, but not exactly in your neighborhood...

If it was a bit closer I'd be tempted to take a look myself.

Gibson J-35 acoustic 2013 gloss with banner decal, case & candy,
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-j-35-acoustic-2013-gloss-with-banner-decal-case-candy/1458586613

Price: £ 1,499

You are right if was closer would be worth a look. Pictures do look good and price seems fair with a little negotiation
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Well a new roof for the house being necessary I've decided to sell my J-35 as it's the most expensive guitar I have which doesn't earn me any money (it never leaves the house). 

You're not planning a trip to Wales anytime soon by any chance?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    edited July 2023
    I recently bought a j35 built by Ren Ferguson on here, different sounding than a j45 which took a bit of getting used to but have to say I love it.  Mine fetched a premium due to the names etc but they are a bargain and imo an absolute sleeper of an acoustic gem