Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). where should you set the saddles when positioning a bridge? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

where should you set the saddles when positioning a bridge?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
I've had a google, but still not sure.

I need to mount a tele ashtray bridge - at 25.5" scale length - so I know I measure from the nut to the middle of the saddle, but I'm not 100% where I should position the saddle.

Show it be set as far forward - or backward?
Or set in the middle?
Some people say about 85% of the way forward (towards the pickup)?

I've watched a few YouTube vids but it can be kind of hard to tell.

any tips much appreciated .

Thanks

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If it's a Tele body that's already routed for the pickup, that dictates where the bridge goes.

If not and you have total freedom, the top E saddle should be set 95% of the way forward and that position at the exact scale length - no string will ever intonate shorter than that, so there is no point in allowing for movement that way. The only reason for the 5% is to make sure that drill 'wander' as it goes into the wood grain doesn't accidentally move the bridge slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    The other consideration is spring tension on the saddles screws.  It can be too loose on fender styles if they are left most of the way forward. So i would go 75-85% of the way forard on those...

But if its a normal tele I would position it based on routes and parts.   And just double check it's correct before drilling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    @ICBM + @WezV as always thanks for that. As always very helpful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter