Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mossman Flint Hills Dreadnought vs USA Harmony Sovereign - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mossman Flint Hills Dreadnought vs USA Harmony Sovereign

What's Hot
marxskimarxski Frets: 201
Anyone had experience with one of these? A Flint Hills from the mid seventies has caught my eye. Also a Harmony Sovereign dread from mid 60s (so all solid Chicago built) and very good condition. I’m very familiar with the Sovereign having owned one for years but got damaged beyond repair. I’m interested in both as they are generally fairly slim necks in depth. Both are only an hour or so away so can ultimately try them easily but would like to know your thoughts…

The Sovereign is pricey at £1350 with a Hiscox and a fancy pickup system (forget the name but it mounts in the sound hole and has a mini gooseneck attachment as well)

Flint Hills was originally about 2.4k now asking 2k both are from dealers. All good as neither adverts contain the word Minty or belonged to someone I’ve never heard of
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1658
    I had/have  a Sovereign from new in 1964 .i played a lot of blues and bluegrass  live  rarely at the same time ..Great flat picker  for thumping out those bass lines .iIs not as great for folk I found but most folkies pros had Martins way back.1350 sounds a lot .The Sov was the best US made  buy after Martin Gibson ,Guild etc  at about 60 quid and suited me but my fingerpicking is weird as my thumb doesnt sync with my fingers so useless for much but did me well .Its a wreck now  and needs pro attention which it will probably never get but I do have  a NOS  finger board as the original has farm ruts down the cowboy chord end .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    rossi said:
    I had/have  a Sovereign from new in 1964 .i played a lot of blues and bluegrass  live  rarely at the same time ..Great flat picker  for thumping out those bass lines .iIs not as great for folk I found but most folkies pros had Martins way back.1350 sounds a lot .The Sov was the best US made  buy after Martin Gibson ,Guild etc  at about 60 quid and suited me but my fingerpicking is weird as my thumb doesnt sync with my fingers so useless for much but did me well .Its a wreck now  and needs pro attention which it will probably never get but I do have  a NOS  finger board as the original has farm ruts down the cowboy chord end .
    Yes the Sovereign I had was a one owner from 1963. It was the only acoustic I had for years and didn’t know how nice it was. Eventually it needed a neck reset and then got damaged beyond repair. I agree it’s expensive. I must go and try the Mossman. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited June 2023
    you need a Brook Tamar 

but TBH,  its no dread substitute 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter