Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). This building of an accurate Brian May Red Special is amazing. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

This building of an accurate Brian May Red Special is amazing.

What's Hot
Like, damn! I never realised just how complex the original construction was.
This is pretty mind-blowing.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I would like to know how old his little girl is, because she did really well with the spokeshave on the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    In the blurb he says she's six. I watched it on the TV, so I didn't get to read the blurb until just now - actually looking forward to the voice-over version (and I usually hate voice-overs). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Will watch the video later, thanks for sharing, but if you have not read Simon Bradley’s book about the construction of the Red Special, I heartily recommend it.

None of May’s guitar came together by accident; it’s a very carefully considered example of design and engineering. That book really opened my eyes to how much May and his dad really knew what they were doing. This was no fluke!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Fabukous, but I could not understand why the binding all the way round was thin squares of wood rather than a continuos strip - I can imagine all sorts of joints opening up in humidnthen dry conditions ? 
    I was a bit puzzled about why he did this also.  I think the squares of wood was so that it was easier to bend the veneer on the curves and secure it firmly in small sections while the glue dried, and also perhaps minimise waste of the sheet of veneer.  Cutting long lengths of veneer and then holding the surface of it firmly against the internal and external curves requires a lot of dexterity and speed as the wood glue soaks into veneer quite quickly and begins to dry.  If you use too much glue it can wet the veneer too much and it will start crinkling.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    This is the same guy that built the guitar out of a shelf, and built a Telecaster one handed, and also the IKEA guitar, he’s ace 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    That was a great way to start the morning! Thanks for posting
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    All that work hidden in the control cavity!
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Half-an-hour very well spent.  Certainly sticks two fingers up at the 'must be a one-piece body' crowd!
    DannyP said:
    I was wondering that.  Why not just mount the switches on the scratchplate?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

I believe his Dad was a aviation design engineer, which probably had something to do with the unusual and quite unique choices made for how to fit it all together.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Half-an-hour very well spent.  Certainly sticks two fingers up at the 'must be a one-piece body' crowd!
    DannyP said:
    I was wondering that.  Why not just mount the switches on the scratchplate?
    Because then the forces are born by the plastic as opposed to the metal of the cage and that way you don't get cracking and you don't have unsightly screws. It also meant that the switches could be mounted at the optimum height meaning they don't stick out too far. Also the cage provides some interference rejection.

Check out the real thing, its the same - its a work of art. 

Oh and the real thing is made with *blockboard* to form the wings of the body.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    This is beautifully shot, besides everything else
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    This is an interesting conversation with Brian about the guitar. Apparently it's never had a refret!
    He must play with an incredibly light touch, he does use very light strings with an 8 thou top E.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"