Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Beginnings of a NAG Journey Minefield - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Beginnings of a NAG Journey Minefield

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 444
edited May 2023 in Acoustics
It has been a very long time since I last posted on here. I’m almost at a point funds wise where I can purchase a high end acoustic after a huge gear purge. 
I have a US Taylor 415 Jumbo owned from new since 2005. Truth is I have never really bonded due to its shape, size and neck profile, it does has sentimental value, I funded it with money left by my grandmother when she passed away in 2003. Before the 415 I did have a US Taylor Big Baby which I loved but stupidly sold to my Stepdad. 
As a kind of last resort I’ve got the Taylor booked in for a proper setup and much needed restring at Charlie Chandler Guitar Experience.
So far I have only been to GAK and Guitar Guitar in Epsom. After a bit of online research I have only tried a Gibson J-45 50’s and Standard, Gibson Original Heritage Hummingbird, Atkin 43, Martin 000-18. 
The J-45’s were nice but in all honesty didn’t completely blow me away but I loved the short scale necks, I preferred the 50’s J-45 with the chunky neck. 
The Atkin The Forty Three was beautiful and I was immediately drawn to the extreme resonance, aged looks and playability.  The Atkin definitely ousted the Gibson variety. 
The Hummingbird was beautiful in the looks department and a standout favourite as an all rounder, great for strumming loud, quiet and picking, but then I tried a Martin 000-18, I loved how comfortable the Martin was to hold, I liked the much smaller body shape, the neck finish was comfortable and so smooth. 
I think I am drawn to smaller concert bodied guitars (but not the Ed Sheeran variety)  I am a singer, I finger pick occasionally, flat pick and strum with a little bit of string bending.
Another brand I am intrigued by but yet to try is the Guild M-25e or M-20 does anyone have any experience of these? I have heard great things in terms of comfort, sound and playability. I think I have a long way to go before making a decision.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Of those, I've had 3 Hummingbirds and a J45.
    Both are good or *can* be if you find a good example. Personally, i  prefer a Bird over a J45 but both gig well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    ^ sent slightly prematurely.

Charlie is the guy I use. Kim there is a very good tech.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 531
    The Atkin J43, while not necessarily a small body (though it is short scale), is to me the ultimate singer songwriter guitar. You described it well - extreme resonance. Based on your post, it sounds like it stood out to you.

Also bear in mind that in the UK you're paying a huge premium for Gibsons and Martins, and domestic brands like Atkin  provide relatively good value. To get equivalent specs and quality on a US model you're looking at Collings or Martin custom shop prices. Given the quality of UK acoustic brands we have today, I'm not sure I'd consider buying a new USA built guitar in the context of price hikes and a weak pound. So I'd also add Lowden, Fylde and Patrick Eggle to the list of brands to consider.

I'm far from holding a sentimental and nationalistic "buy British" mentality. It's down to economics and being fortunate enough to reside somewhere with many fine acoustic manufacturers. 

With Lowdens, if a smaller body is what you're after the S-series may be a contender. Arguably more for the soloist/fingerstyle market than singer-songwriter though.

Also to say that I'm a huge Guild fan (I have 5), and they are great guitars. I've not tried the M25 but the M20 is lovely. But they're generally outclassed by Atkin and Lowden in my experience.

All that said, there's no substitute for simply trying out a load of guitars and choosing the one that appeals to you most. You're doing the right thing by not rushing in or buying online just based off specs. GuitarGuitar Epsom has a very nice acoustic room and I'd also recommend Coda Music slightly further afield. Guitar Village is also nearby if you don't mind paying through the nose and being exposed to the mercurial whims of its owner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I have an Atkin Forty Seven (LG-2 style). It's fabulous and sounds way bigger than you'd expect from a small body, so I'd definitely recommend trying one of those if you can. It's not what you'd call a "raucous strummer" but it absolutely excels at everything else. I wish they'd do a Hummingbird and Dove style guitar.

In the other corner, I have a Bourgeois Aged Tone Mahogany D, which is their D18-alike. Obviously quite different to the Atkin and it's the most meat & potatoes acoustic design there is, but it's an incredible sounding thing. I got mine the last time I was in the US, so I'm not sure the economics work out in the UK vs Atkin, but worth trying one if you have a chance.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    do you definitely want a dread ? (seems to be what most people are recommending, so without reading fully, Im assuming so)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited May 2023
    So I might be around London June time. 

Experiences of Coda, Guitar Village etc? 

I am not into places with the sales pitch and where you have to ask to get one or two guitars taken off the wall for you (which is rife in one relatively local store here). Imo if going to drop £££ you want time on your own when you can play every single guitar you fancy grabbing.

Btw I agree there are quality British brands which are more affordable than inflated US brands these days

I am not into places with the sales pitch and where you have to ask to get one or two guitars taken off the wall for you (which is rife in one relatively local store here). Imo if going to drop £££ you want time on your own when you can play every single guitar you fancy grabbing.

Btw I agree there are quality British brands which are more affordable than inflated US brands these days
    Coda and GV are my favourites around there. I’ve spent hours in both with an opening brief of “budget of X, looking for dreads/OMs/ES330s/Strats/whatever, plus anything you think I might enjoy” and they’re pretty decent at letting you get on with it and helping just where you need input or a hand getting something down from a high hook! 

It’s often worth getting a staff member to play things a bit as well just so you can’t beat them without thinking about your own playing at the same time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380

Maks Guitars is excellent. He is a good guy as well. I used to go there all the time when it was Ivor Mairants. It's just around the corner from Denmark Street. 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 444
    I have an Atkin Forty Seven (LG-2 style). It's fabulous and sounds way bigger than you'd expect from a small body, so I'd definitely recommend trying one of those if you can. It's not what you'd call a "raucous strummer" but it absolutely excels at everything else. I wish they'd do a Hummingbird and Dove style guitar.

In the other corner, I have a Bourgeois Aged Tone Mahogany D, which is their D18-alike. Obviously quite different to the Atkin and it's the most meat & potatoes acoustic design there is, but it's an incredible sounding thing. I got mine the last time I was in the US, so I'm not sure the economics work out in the UK vs Atkin, but worth trying one if you have a chance.
    Thank you @stickyfiddle ;Now you’ve got me intrigued re Atkin 47 I need to play one next to the 43
    bertie said:
    do you definitely want a dread ? (seems to be what most people are recommending, so without reading fully, Im assuming so)
    Potentially a dreadnought but I’m attracted to the smaller shape too, I loved the hummingbird that I tried

Thank you @stickyfiddle ;Now you’ve got me intrigued re Atkin 47 I need to play one next to the 43
    Yeah, it's a fabulous little guitar. Not many of them about but I've been various into a load of folky/alt/country stuff in recent years (Bon Iver, Chris Stapleton, Phoebe Bridgers) and they've all done great things with LG2s so that was enough to push me over the edge. 
    Epsilon said:
    The Atkin J43, while not necessarily a small body (though it is short scale), is to me the ultimate singer songwriter guitar. You described it well - extreme resonance. Based on your post, it sounds like it stood out to you.

Also bear in mind that in the UK you're paying a huge premium for Gibsons and Martins, and domestic brands like Atkin  provide relatively good value. To get equivalent specs and quality on a US model you're looking at Collings or Martin custom shop prices. Given the quality of UK acoustic brands we have today, I'm not sure I'd consider buying a new USA built guitar in the context of price hikes and a weak pound. So I'd also add Lowden, Fylde and Patrick Eggle to the list of brands to consider.

I'm far from holding a sentimental and nationalistic "buy British" mentality. It's down to economics and being fortunate enough to reside somewhere with many fine acoustic manufacturers. 

With Lowdens, if a smaller body is what you're after the S-series may be a contender. Arguably more for the soloist/fingerstyle market than singer-songwriter though.

Also to say that I'm a huge Guild fan (I have 5), and they are great guitars. I've not tried the M25 but the M20 is lovely. But they're generally outclassed by Atkin and Lowden in my experience.

All that said, there's no substitute for simply trying out a load of guitars and choosing the one that appeals to you most. You're doing the right thing by not rushing in or buying online just based off specs. GuitarGuitar Epsom has a very nice acoustic room and I'd also recommend Coda Music slightly further afield. Guitar Village is also nearby if you don't mind paying through the nose and being exposed to the mercurial whims of its owner.
    Thank you @Epsilon lots to think about here, strumming that Atkin 43 was a magical experience it just felt right. 
    Thanks guys and good luck OP
    Thanks guys and good luck OP
    Thanks @thomasross20 think I’m going to need it as I’m driving myself crazy with the choices out there
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    The thomasross20 said:

Coda is no.1 in the UK imho.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've bought twice off GV with their really good 20% off boss gone mad deal. Haven't had to return but they book it and it's relatively hassle free. 

Same for Coda but it was a return. Both great if need to return. Stock in both looks good, Coda is more en-route. 

Will have to check Mak's. 

It would be remiss of me to not mention Larrivee, @builttospill ... But defo get the guitars in hand. For me, if it doesn't feel right.. it ends there. Then it's about the sound. Then it's... Has this guitar had you sitting playing it for ages? As that's the guitar you really want!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    bertie said:
    Potentially a dreadnought but I’m attracted to the smaller shape too, I loved the hummingbird that I tried
    if you were closer to the wild west, I'd say come try my Brook for size................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    I'd say to do that!! I still want to try a Brook (and a Boucher and a Bourgeois!)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I played a Brook once. A Taw, I think it was. Very nice. Shouldda bought it. 
    So after much procrastination I think I have narrowed my choices down to a used Atkins Forty Seven or a new Guild M-25e, nut size and string spacing seems like the better option on the Guild. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for a used Atkins Forty Seven.  I've just done a quick search via usual sources Google, eBay, Reverb, I’ve also done a search on here but I’m none the wiser. I guess they don’t come up that often on here? 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    edited June 2023
    @builttospill Did you get a chance to try a Gibson J-35? They have the same build quality and materials as a J-45, but cost less than a J-45 and have a chunkier neck. Mine is fantastic, and I think @p90fool will echo this.
    @builttospill Did you get a chance to try a Gibson J-35? They have the same build quality and materials as a J-45, but cost less than a J-45 and have a chunkier neck. Mine is fantastic, and I think @p90fool will echo this.
    Arrrrgh! Potentially another one for the mix @ElectricXII I’ve not tried but have heard good things about these I have gone through most of the current J-45 variants
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    J35 is different from a J45.  Not as thick sounding ime
    Have a look at Iris guitars 
    Reckon the Atkin will be the better guitar 
    I saw a 2nd hand one for sale recently for £2600
    mgaw said:
    I saw a 2nd hand one for sale recently for £2600
    Cheers @mgaw guess I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled