Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The best drill press for drilling Floyd Rose mounting stud holes accurately? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The best drill press for drilling Floyd Rose mounting stud holes accurately?

What's Hot
Hi there,

I have a guitar that needs it's Floyd Rose mounting stud holes drilling. I've read that in order to make an accurate straight hole in the body a drill press is needed, as it's near impossible to do this by hand. Apparently the drill press needs to have a certain throat size to accomodate the guitar body?

Can anyone please point me to a drill press that will suffice? 

I have seen this Bosch PBD 40 which looks to have great reviews, if anyone were able to confirm it would be fit for the job? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-parallel-quick-lock-clamps-cardboard/dp/B00766C1A8/ref=asc_df_B00766C1A8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231905005622&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4390127698461565112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046258&hvtargid=pla-422560623578&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 ;

Thanks very much.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mooncatmooncat Frets: 100
    Any drill press with a deep enough throat would do but i would also get a cheap X W table for accurately positioning the holes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    And a set of engineer squares to make sure the table is orthogonal to the dill bit. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HullboyHullboy Frets: 66
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would I need those items too? The drill press has a laser guide so wouldn’t I just measure where the hole is and use the laser guide to line it up? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Throat width needs to be half the body size, so it depends on whether you’re reaching in from the side of the guitar or the end. Before I got a pillar drill I used a simple drill stand clamped to the body:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hullboy said:
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would I need those items too? The drill press has a laser guide so wouldn’t I just measure where the hole is and use the laser guide to line it up? 

The reason for the X Y table is that it is far more accurate than you can ever mark out between the posts.
    The Floyd Rose original post spacing is 74.3mm or 2.9252"
    I personally use a big milling machine, Probably overkill but very accurate.
    My reasoning is the more accurate the post spacing is, if you have any tuning problems later on you know it has nothing to do with the post spacing. ;)

edited May 2023
    I forgot to mention decent X Y tables have vernier scales on the handwheels, one without would have no advantage over using a ruler to mark out the spacing.
    Thats not to say it cant be done with a ruler or a vernier gauge.

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Hullboy said:
    The engineer squares are to check the drill table is perpendicular to the drill. Out of the box they're often a bit out. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."