Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Scratched the Katana Artist itch and... - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Scratched the Katana Artist itch and...

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
edited May 2023 in Digital & Modelling
... it's confusing the hell out of me. It sounds absolutely glorious through headphones and very meh through the very praised Wazza speaker. It's the mk2 100W combo updated to latest software. 

It looks like very little played so I'm wondering if the speaker needs breaking in? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong setup wise, any tips or tricks owners on here use to make it sound good?

I've downloaded a few livesets from boss website and need to admit they are some of the most organic tones I've heard from a similar unit. Absolutely zero fizziness, very natural break up tones, love the chimey cleans. That's all through headphones though, played through amp's speaker it's not much more impressive than latest spiders. 

My other home setup is a HT5R combo with a bad monkey in front of it and even at low volumes it's a completely different story. 

Has anyone else had same initial impressions that later changed and amp tones improved with some magic tweaking? ;)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• How loud are you playing? A friend of mine gigs professionally with the combo and gets great tones. I think the meatier cab and speaker may take some volume to come to life. Especially if the speaker isn’t broken in yet. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Does the headphone output have speaker cab simulation?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    don't you find a lot of things sound better "through phones"  ?   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Some things to possibly play around with:
    • Cab resonance switch
    • Global EQ switch
    • Contour switch
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    bertie said:
    don't you find a lot of things sound better "through phones"  ?   
    Teenagers wandering around listening to shit music sure do...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 29

Maybe you just dont like the amp, I had a Mk2 Artist found it to be the same... only way I could dial it out was to mess with with some of the E.Q options and then it just sounded flat.

Marmite amp. Straight in the bin (eBay) for me.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    When I had the Katana, the best tones at civilised volume nearly always happened at max volume with master volume at 9 o’clock on the 0.5w mode. Tweak cab resonance to taste. 

But, like you, I always got my best tones through headphones or line out (I recorded shitloads of cuts using that). 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• PALPAL Frets: 465
    Try The sneaky amps !
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    Thanks all, some useful stuff brought up. Turns out almost everything I've downloaded from the library to start with something sounded only great thru headphones so I've started building my own tones and couple days later the results are better, a lot of playing with EQ involved, I generally always keep the treble and presence at low levels but this amp really wants them at minimum. 

It needs volume up as well as someone has said, I think a general mistake when approaching this amp is that it's being treated as a modelling unit whereas this box acts more like a traditional amp. Lesson learnt. 

It's also pretty weird that the headphones out doesn't give you a stereo sound when using stereo FX, the only way to hear them is when they're recorded or when monitoring through another soundcard, like I have it setup for recording on a mac. Again a regular amp kinda approach. 

I'm slowly getting there ;) Might book a couple hours at a rehearsal space to turn it up proper loud and see what it does then.