Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WezV - building an electric with the laser cutter. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WezV - building an electric with the laser cutter.

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    It's the match with the rest of the body I was unsure of, and a burst could disguise the discrepancy

If I was starting again I think I would have matched it to the body a lot more - kept it mostly maple, but cut a border of the Bosse to go to the outer edge of the line, or even fully inlaid it in the mahogany neck blank.  I  thought having the mahogany underneath would be enough to give a similar look to the body, but it isn't quite there for me.  Nothing I mind too much, certainly not enough to re-do it,  it just catches my eye as something I could have done better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 273
    The headstock border is really heavy compared to the body's, is it heavier than the 'radiogram' motif behind the bridge or is that just an optical illusion?

Another great build @WezV ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    same thickness as the motif, which originally matched a double border on the body - but that wasn't engraved as cleanly

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 273
    Must be the angle with the headstock in the foreground, if it matches the motif there's consistency there.

Will the top and head plate darken with age?
    It will yellow a bit over time
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I think the thicker border on the headstock looks good. Nice truss rod cover too. 
    Yes, I'm particularly happy with that detail... especially since it sits so nicely in its recess.   The laser is allowing a level of accuracy I haven't achieved before.  

Also trying a new lacquer (new to me)on this as I am not going to relic it and heard this can work quicker than the other "nitro"  types I have sprayed.

I've gone for Morrels 280 pre-cat lacquer, 90% gloss.   It's got more solids than the stuff I am used to and after 2 coats of sealer and 3 coats of lacquer I could have buffed and called it done.  you can see that on the truss rod cover and pics from yesterday before I levelled it off.

It self levels nicely, dries quick, you can recoat safely with 30 mins.  It sanded well without clogging when I levelled it off today, less than 24 hours.  Will do 3 more coats, level off once more and spray a final light coat.   

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    The thick border of the headstock balances with the thick lines of the motif between pickups and behind bridge. The thin line body border is a lighter detail associated with the body and works to bring the thicker lines to prominence. Overall, it works well with the dark/light contrast of the natural tones and the rounded body edge. What's behind the headstock? It should be similar tone to the body edge. The only thing for me that doesn't balance is that it isn't a double cut! But each to their own... 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    It's a reclaimed mahogany neck... not sure of the exact species. It's a bit pinker than the warm orange tones of the bosse cedar body.  I did consider tinting it to match better, but think leaving it as is will be safer
    These are the covers I sprayed on Sunday - leveled and first buff today.    I will see how the lacquer acts over the next few weeks.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The last coat went on an hour ago

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    A wow isn't enough. That's looking really good.
    edited August 2023
    Test fit

I swapped some parts on the pickups I wound as they were cheap aliexpress p90 kits and it showed, think ive only used the bobbins and pole pieces now.  The bridge is now 8k, Alnico 3, brass baseplate.   Neck is 7.8k, Alnico 2, nickel baseplate.   The 50/52mm spacing on them aligns perfectly

Headstock looks a little small because of the border.  I think i prefer the longer version of this shape I used on my acoustic. I'm not sure the big button grovers are right for this, it's giving King Charles vibes.

I'm very happy with the rest.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    One issue I'm having is getting buffing compound out the engraving. I've cleaned it with isopropyl and an old toothbrush. It's going to take a few goes I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Nice piece of work Wez
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I think it lools great 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Looks great. I love how the inlays mirror the patterns on the body. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Its amazing Wez.  
    It has a kind of “Zematis meets Dobro” look to it somehow - but classier ! 

Well the zemaitis bit was intentional, dobro was not, but I see what you mean.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Lovely.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Very cool
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Love it! Outstanding
    Thanks all.

I'm happy with how it's turned out.    Especially considering I started with some woods I have been avoiding for this test.  An overly heavy body blank and low grade maple top.  

The top has popped nicely with finish, and I think the level of flame works well with the other decoration.  The chambering has helped with the weight as the whole thing weighs 8lb 3oz - I think that is more than reasonable for this style of build.

It's added up to a lot more than the sum of it's parts.

I'm just waiting on some knobs from eBay.  I was going to make some, but spotted these inlaid rosewood ones.  I think they could work well on this, maybe slightly reshaped and with a dot or top stripe added

• Macarons...lovely ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Really like the look of that one Wez.  It's come together really well.  Congrats!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    Great job, im going to have to look at throwning one of these on the back on my cnc's X axis.
  • WezV said:

I'm just waiting on some knobs from eBay.  I was going to make some, but spotted these inlaid rosewood ones.  I think they could work well on this, maybe slightly reshaped and with a dot or top stripe added

Macarons...lovely ;)
    They remind me of the ones I made for my mandolin last year (mine were grenadilla and beech). I had to resist eating mine as well - definitely look like they should be tasty.
    I'm not saying I'm the first to do an inset top, but its not a common thing to see.

Is it a coincidence that I have seen 2 other well known UK builders post progress shots of inset top builds in the last couple of weeks???

Not the first time, i'm sure it won't be the last. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Name names!
    edited August 2023
    Nah.  I'm not looking to make enemies.

We all borrow from established designs and we will all be influenced by cool ideas we see. 

I'm okay with that.  It may just be that I share similar influences to those builders, or they have subconsciously been influenced without realising where from. 

I look forward to seeing what others do with the concept.

I was once accused of stealing someone's designs, but I know I didn't as I had never seen them.  I was able to show lots of sketches to show how I had merged a few ideas and come up with something similar though