Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Stones and Brian Jones - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Stones and Brian Jones

What's Hot
BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
There's a good documentary on BBC iPlayer, 1.5 hours long, lots of archive film and interviews etc.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    That was cracking. I was amazed of how much footage there was of him as a young lad. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I've never really been a fan of the Stones, but I'm hearing good things about this so I shall probably take a look (if I remember!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Is that the title ,I’m not allowed to watch iPlayer but could probably download it from somewhere
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Found it really interesting.

I've read the Keith book which basically told the background of how the Stones were originally a purist blues band and Jones was very much in control - until Mick and Keith started writing the pop hits at which point the writing was on the wall with Jones struggling to find his place. Fantastic multi-instrumentalist who contributed to the songs (flute parts on Ruby Tuesday etc...) but it wasn't enough. Once he couldn't get into America it was all over.

Tragic story - some of it was self inflicted - but other stuff was out of his control. 

It's clear Wyman was the closest friend Jones had in the band - I know he's old now but you wouldn't recognise him if you passed him in the street these days!
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    CaseOfAce said:
    It's clear Wyman was the closest friend Jones had in the band - I know he's old now but you wouldn't recognise him if you passed him in the street these days!
    Holy bollocks!  I just Googled Wyman - he's unrecognisable!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
    Is that the title ,I’m not allowed to watch iPlayer but could probably download it from somewhere
    Yes, that is the title
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    If he dyed his hair he'd get back in the band no problem :lol:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Must be all those teenage girls have worn him out.   The poor blighter. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    RobDavies said:
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Must be all those teenage girls have worn him out.   The poor blighter. 
    It's like The Picture Of Dorian Gray, but in reverse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    I had to Google... I think he's still recognisable, he's just got a bit podgy, like most old men.  He'd look a bit out of place in the Stones now because they're all so scrawny... all those years of appetite suppressants, perhaps.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    I had to Google... I think he's still recognisable, he's just got a bit podgy, like most old men.  He'd look a bit out of place in the Stones now because they're all so scrawny... all those years of appetite suppressants, perhaps.
    He is 86 after all.  Done pretty well to get this far all things considered.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    @hollywoodrox ;
    I think it’s this one called 
    The Stones and Brian Joneshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001m0sm/the-stones-and-brian-jones

Also there is one on Netflix that I have been meaning to watch, but still haven’t seen called Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones —> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10229846/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    duotone said:
    @hollywoodrox ;
    I think it’s this one called The Stones and Brian Joneshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001m0sm/the-stones-and-brian-jones

Also there is one on Netflix that I have been meaning to watch, but still haven’t seen called Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones —> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10229846/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Thanks  that’s brilliant ,  I had a book out the library in the early /mid 90s about Brian jones death 
    it was quite interesting 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited May 2023
    duotone said:
    @hollywoodrox ;;
    I think it’s this one called The Stones and Brian Joneshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001m0sm/the-stones-and-brian-jones

The Netflix doc is not bad, but the major point of departure with the BBC doc is that it goes into more detail about what may have happened the night that Jones died. 

I read an interview with Nick Broomfield who made the BBC doc, and he said he'd steer clearer of that kind of speculation. 

Brian Jones...interesting character. Clearly deeply troubled in himself, but a lot of his behaviours were also deeply troubling. I think that had he never been into music and never in the Stones or in the music industry at all, then he'd have had a shot at a happier, longer, more fulfilling life. I think his parents effectively kicking him out at 16 had a massively negative impact. 

Clearly a magical musician, though, so the trade off is we have something of a musical legacy to remember him by. 

I watched the first 15 minutes, but stopped. I think of all the sad early deaths after difficult lives that have punctuated popular music over the decades, this is the one of those that gives me most pause for thought and that I find most troubling.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Second chance to see the Broomfield documentary this evening, BBC2, 2315.
    Be seeing you.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Just watched the Brian Jones one.

Exciting, nostalgic and very sad all at the same time.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    recorded and only got round to watching it last night - Thoroughly enjoyed it - Sad as well and to see how much his good lucks had deteriorated over the last 2/3 years of his life - Did not realise he had 6 illegitimate children

Read the Andrew Loog Oldham book and there was a lot of chat in their about how he plus Keef and Mick wrestled the band away from Brian - Both with song writing, publishing deals etc 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    I watched it, was very good, so sad that he was so insecure. He was a bit of a twat as well though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited May 2023
    Read the Andrew Loog Oldham book and there was a lot of chat in there about how he plus Keef and Mick wrestled the band away from Brian - Both with song writing, publishing deals etc 
    Recording endless Blues purist-approved cover versions would not have been very lucrative.

The Beatles soon shifted from their Hamburg setlist to self-composed material. Oldham could tell that this was the correct business model.

Redlester said:
    Clearly, a magical musician
    Certainly, a great imitator. Not so strong on innovation or yer actual songwriting.
    Be seeing you.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Certainly, a great imitator. Not so strong on innovation or yer actual songwriting.

I wonder.  I suspect a lot of people will recognise the situation where you're in an original material band and one or two individuals have already got a head start on being the band's songwriters.  That gives them power, and they will be tempted to preserve that power by freezing out other peoples' ideas.  Whether they use it in that way will be a question of character and Mick and Keith were both aggressive, me-first personalities. They had the backing of Loog Oldham who decided his interests were best served by undermining Brian, and he was an even more unscrupulously selfish person.

I suspect by the time Mick and Keef had written a couple of hits the chances of Brian getting a song accepted by the band would have been close to zero, no matter how good it was.  By the time Mick Taylor came along Jagger basically just stole his ideas and used them without giving credit.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I watched it, was very good, so sad that he was so insecure. He was a bit of a twat as well though.
    I haven't watched the BBC one yet, just the Netflix one, and I have to say that in that he came across as a colossal and totally self-centred bellend. In fact, his apparent sense of being able to do and get anything he wanted because of his natural charm, and the trail of kids by random women he left behind, reminded me very much of a musical Boris Johnson.

Clearly a hugely talented musician as well in the sense of being able to get great sounds and melodies from a wide variety of instruments, but as Funkfingers said not an innovator or a writer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I’d like to think that if he were around today he would have been diagnosed with BPD/EUPD and got the help he needed to fly straight . He was such a talented bloke and the stones lost a lot when he crashed imho
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    ICBM said:
    reminded me very much of a musical Boris Johnson.
    Quote of the week! Love this, tea almost came out my nose! :)
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Musicwolf said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    He is 86 after all.  Done pretty well to get this far all things considered.

I'm embarrassed to say I thought he had died years ago. With so many of the 1960's cohort in their 80s, It's difficult to remember which ones are still around. 
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 47
    Brian would have been better off leaving the Stones at the point of Mick and Keith’s take over. Possibly would’ve been better for him doing his own thing.

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum