Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Analysis of this playing? Huw LLoyd Langton - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Analysis of this playing? Huw LLoyd Langton

What's Hot
drawisdrawis Frets: 6
This:

Is an example par excellence of Huw's playing. Just love the style.

I have been trying to sort of play a, by contrast, useless version of this (nowhere close!) but am just trying to get a handle on the scales/key he's using. Looks to me like soloing around E 12th fret. Major mostly? Am I close or is he using some modal trickery?

Some pointers would be greatly appreciated from any fans out there!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    E minor. 

It’s a bit ambiguous because they actually play an E major chord, but the chords are E D C, which is E minor, and he’s basically noodling around in a bluesy E minor way. 

It does move to the relative major (G major) for the chorus, but he doesn’t do any noodling in those sections.

There are also bits in the E minor section that use an A major chord, suggesting E Dorian, but the noodling tends to ignore that. 

Summary: I’d just go for generic E minor / E bluesy noodling if I were you.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • drawisdrawis Frets: 6
    If I could noodle like that I'd be very happy
  • EvoEvo Frets: 292
    It's mostly in E minor pentatonic, with sprinklings of E natural minor. 

Around 3:02 there's a modulation where the chords switch up to (I think) Bb/F and C/G, at this point he switches to F major/D minor to solo over this section then back to E minor when the chords change back around 3:25.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    Way, way back in the day, Huwie did a series of techniques columns for Guitarist magazine called 'Langton's Lead Lines'. You may be able to track them down online or find some back issues for sale?

On a related theme, this may be of interest...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    There's some basic tabs on Huw's old website here.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    There is a Hawkwind guitar facebook site which might be useful to you. there are people on there who played alongside Huw (great guitarist btw).
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • drawisdrawis Frets: 6
    Yeah it's that 3:02 moment that makes it
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    edited May 2023
    Love the Crimson video as well, thanks @steamabacus Saw this guitar on stage many times 79 through to about 85. My favourite HW is early to mid 70s but Huw added so much great stuff in the years I saw him. I see in the video comments that it fetched £5.5k which seems surprisingly low to me. RIP HLL

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    edited May 2023
    This one is also great - lots of trademark legato runs (maybe a bit quiet in the mix)

And he gives Turner a nice kick at end