Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neck Storage - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neck Storage

What's Hot
About to strip down a recently bought project guitar for a refinish and rebuild. Bolt on neck will be removed for a couple of months minimum. Do I need to do anything special to protect the neck during it's time away from the body, or just remove, store, bolt back on when ready? Was thinking of just hanging it in the wardrobe out of the way.
Thanks in advance.
My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    A couple of months probably won't make much if any difference, but if it's going to sit for a lot longer I would check to see if the neck is straight and adjust the truss rod (usually slacken) to make it straight if not.  If the truss rod has been tightened while on the guitar strung to pitch to counteract the tension of the strings, then taking it off and leaving it might eventually pull it into a slight back-bow which is undesirable and can be more difficult to address than a permanent forward bow unless the neck has a 2-way truss rod.  Slackening the truss rod a bit to allow the neck to straighten before long term storage can help to prevent it taking on a permanent back-bow because of the constant truss rod tension.  A few months isn't long term storage though.  In most cases, especially with stiff maple necks, the neck will most likely just relax and become straight all by itself once removed.  That's how I set bolt-on necks before stringing.  Dead straight and the string tension will usually pull it into really good relief naturally without much need for tweaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    @BillDL You are a gentleman my friend, many thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter