Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Viewing photos - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Viewing photos

Hope you can help. I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that often photos don’t show up when viewing posts. They don’t show a failed link etc, just blank apart from the text. I’ve tried this across different browsers and on iPad and pc. Any ideas? 
Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Can you narrow it down to specific members’ pictures? It may depend on where the pictures are hosted. For example can you see the one below from postimage?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    I’ve had the same thing.  Here’s an example

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/247767/ngomod#latest

I’m viewing on an iPad.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
    BahHumbug said:
    I’ve had the same thing.  Here’s an example

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/247767/ngomod#latest

I’m viewing on an iPad.
    That was one I came across today. Can't remember other ones I'm afraid 
    drofluf said:
    Can you narrow it down to specific members’ pictures? It may depend on where the pictures are hosted. For example can you see the one below from postimage?

Yes I can see that
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Both of those are subscribers who upload direct.

Can you see this?

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Can you see this?

Nope
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    That's three, then.  Paging @digitalscream .
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328

Can you see this?

Nope from me too.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited May 2023
    That's three, then.  Paging @digitalscream .
    Curiously, I can see *all* the photos, on Win11/Chrome&Edge, on iPad/Safari and on phone - Android/Chrome.

Can also see them if not signed in to the forum, and in incognito mode.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    OK, I know what the problem is - it seems to be exclusively caused by ISPs who are handing out ever-cheaper routers with a flaw in their local DNS servers.

I did put a fix in a few months ago, but it made the problem worse rather than better. I've got an idea what can fix it...I'll see if I can put it together this weekend.
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    That's a link to the vendor's website

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I can see them.

That doesn't help at all does it.....
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I also have this problem, but only when on my home Internet. My ISP is sky. 
    Yeah, it's getting to be more and more of a problem. In terms of the technical details, you can see the issue with the following links:

https://tfb-user-images.eu-central-1.linodeobjects.com/c12a52f8c7f4637e4465dfc6aa3ed615f0b524742b64ad5491

http://images.thefretboard.co.uk/c12a52f8c7f4637e4465dfc6aa3ed615f0b524742b64ad5491

Both links actually go to the same place - the problem is that some routers seem incapable of dealing with either the length of the host address or the fact that it has hyphens in it, and can't resolve the domain.

The problem I'm having is that I can deal with everything except a weird certificate issue that's happening in Vanilla. You'll note that the second link is http:// rather than https:// - as soon as I can get some time to sort that (and figure out how to get an appropriate certificate installed in the Linode object storage), we'll be golden. Failing that, I'll have to build a proxy to act as a middle man for the images (not ideal, in terms of response time or bandwidth, but it's an option if all else fails).
    <space for hire>
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I often don't see pics just a kind of basic description of what it is. Mainly the Friday joke thread. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited May 2023
    I'm having a similar issue, I can't see Imgur pictures when using my work laptop on Chrome and Edge on Windows 10, but my phone (Chrome, Android) and my personal laptop (Chrome, Windows 10) are all fine.

All using the same BT home wifi. Do I assume that's a work thing do you reckon? When I've clicked on Imgur links (where people paste the link rather than posting the image as such) it gives me a blank looking window and said something like "Imgur is over capacity"
    I'm having a similar issue, I can't see Imgur pictures when using my work laptop on Chrome and Edge on Windows 10, but my phone (Chrome, Android) and my personal laptop (Chrome, Windows 10) are all fine.

All using the same BT home wifi. Do I assume that's a work thing do you reckon? When I've clicked on Imgur links (where people paste the link rather than posting the image as such) it gives me a blank looking window and said something like "Imgur is over capacity"
    The issue reported above isn't to do with Imgur, but rather images directly uploaded to the site by subscribers. The Imgur problem is related to changes in the functionality they provide, and we can't really do a lot about that.

That aside, I've (finally) got some time this week to fix the problem with the subscriber images, so it'll be sorted by the end of the weekend. There may be some downtime involved, since I've got to retrospectively go through every comment since the upload functionality went live, and change the content. Might be able to do that in a separate piece of work, though.
    <space for hire>
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    That sounds very painful, boring repetitive tasks are normally my strong point but the thought of that is giving me a twitch. Good luck
    That sounds very painful, boring repetitive tasks are normally my strong point but the thought of that is giving me a twitch. Good luck
    Well, I can automate it, but running automated replace tasks across the entire database while people are using the site is...scary ;)
    <space for hire>