Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Hives - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Hives

What's Hot
Yes, The Hives.
That Swedish band from the 90s/00s "garage rock revival"

I quite like the new single "Bogus Operandi", from their upcoming new album.

https://youtu.be/XVKHeBRox0k

It's punchy, catchy. Not reinventing the wheel by any means. Still sounds like The Hives. I only have "Tyrannosaurus Hives" on CD. But generally, their stuff, if I hear it, I don't turn it off. I'm a sucker for songs like "Two Timing Touch & Broken Bones", "Hate To Say I Told You So" and "Walk Idiot Walk"

Any fans here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. I had Your New Favourite Band when it came out and loved that CD to death

They're arguably a one trick pony but what a great trick :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • "Lex Hives", their last album, is nearly 11 years old so they've been away for a while!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Ah, the Hives - usually put a smile on my face. Your New Favourite Band and the two indie albums previously are great, great  stoopid music. For me they distilled the garage punk rock vibe better (or more gimmick-ly) than their contemporaries. No deep messages, just hooks. So many hooks. Like K-pop does the Stooges. Probably due to that songwriting svengali that supplied the material.  They seemed to branch out a bit later, slowing the tempo and adding more instrumentation - I still liked what I heard, but wasn't compelled to listen as much, which is a shame really.

The new one starts a bit Dopethrone-ish before settling into more familliar territory, with added key change! I'll be humming it all day.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited May 2023
    Always liked them. Idiot walk is brilliant, great riffage.

A bit like The Darkness, fun, riffy, catchy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Need to stop looking back at my own thread now. Every time I come back to it I hear in my head "See the idiot walk
    See the idiot talk
    See the idiot chalk up his name on the blackboard
    See the robot walk
    See the robot talk
    See the robot write up his name on the ballot"
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    My New Favourite band was a great fun album
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've got that.  There's a lot of dust on it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Philly_Q said:
    I've got that.  There's a lot of dust on it.
    I used to have it back when I had a couple of thousand cds back in the day.

Have to admit, I remember the time I bought it better than most of the record, but hate to say I told you so is a banger...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    I love the concept of the The Hives more than I love The Hives. I’d say every record of theirs I have bought has at least 50% filler.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Love them, but agree there is much filler. 

I was supposed to go see RHCP in Lyon during the Covid years can't remember which one - its all a blur) and was more excited that The Hives were supporting as I'd never seen them. 

Gig was cancelled. Gutted.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    One of the best bands I ever saw live. Love The Hives. 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    HTSITYS is an utterly brilliant song.  Must admit I haven't heard much more of their output but that one always stuck in my mind after hearing it for the first time in the Hard Rock in Berlin whilst ogling a guitar once owned by Hendrix.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I prefer "The Itchy Sores" . 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    I've had this on repeat all day - brilliant tune.

Also easily one of the greatest live bands around; if you ever get the chance, go and see them.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    I liked their first two albums. Quite enjoy that deadened guitar punk tone. Catchy tunes and alot of attitude.
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    Chuffola said:
    Love them, but agree there is much filler. 

I was supposed to go see RHCP in Lyon during the Covid years can't remember which one - its all a blur) and was more excited that The Hives were supporting as I'd never seen them. 

Gig was cancelled. Gutted.
    There's a thing with garage rock where you can get away with a bit of filler as long as the live show is blinding and you have at least one stone-cold classic tune. Luckily The Hives have about fifteen of them now and Pelle's stage banter can cover many sins!