Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stripping Nitrocellulose Paint - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stripping Nitrocellulose Paint

What's Hot
Hi all, what's the best thing for stripping nitrocellulose paint off a guitar body? I've read that acetone is the thing to use - would people recommend this or is there something better. 

It's a guitar I'm building and I'm not happy with my paint job, so want to strip it and start again! It's an alder body and currently has a layer of sanding sealer, followed by a layer of primer then the colour.

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 363
    tFB Trader
    Acetone will work - use a very fine abralon pad or even a non scratch scourer from the kitchen and that will bring it off. If you want it to come off more quickly, a stripper like Nitromors will do it. Or there's a really evil product called Langlow Strip Away pro that will eat through everything quickly but needs serious safety gear to use and may be overkill for nitro.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @rexter I'll go with the acetone. Cheers.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    I find butanone (methyl ethyl ketone, MEK) better as it's less volatile and so hangs around to dissolve the lacquer more thoroughly. Acetone evaporates much more quickly, meaning that you have to keep applying it.

You can stick the whole thing in a plastic bag while the solvent does its stuff to slow its evaporation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ah cool, thanks Steve, that sounds like a good option. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Keep it wet and it’ll do the work for you. Good guidance from Steve there.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • Thanks @Deadman will do.
    Thanks @Deadman will do.
    Not to mention evaporating your hard earned dosh  ;) Stick it in a bag, get the air out and seal it up quickly. Having said that, the thinner it is then the easier it’ll be to remove. Best of luck with it, Jenny.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Deadman said:
    Thanks @Deadman will do.
    Not to mention evaporating your hard earned dosh  ;) Stick it in a bag, get the air out and seal it up quickly. Having said that, the thinner it is then the easier it’ll be to remove. Best of luck with it, Jenny.
    Don't suck the air out...
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Spoilsport  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    nero1701 said:
    Deadman said:
    Thanks @Deadman will do.
    Don't suck the air out...
    I loved the 80’s.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    I soak a small teatowel in acetone and lay it over the body and seal it in a small under-bed storage tupperwear type container, an hour or so and the towel should still be damp. enough to use as the rag to wipe away the sludge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jennywallacejennywallace Frets: 62
    edited May 2023
    Cool, thanks  @Sarge good tip.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've been planning to remove a nitro finish which is sprayed over poly using acetone, but I'm having second thoughts. I'm worried what it might do to the binding and also the fretboard (although guess I could protect that).

Don't fancy a simple refinish project turning in to something more complex. I might just spray over the current finish instead.

Hope you're project is going well.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Thanks @ewal I haven't done it yet as I've been so busy! If the weather is good at the weekend I might sit outside and do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter