Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Great guitar - but would it make an only guitar? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Great guitar - but would it make an only guitar?

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 4394
Chatting in another thread got me to thinking. I looked over my various guitars, good ones all of them, and thought :which of these guitars would  I be happy with as an only guitar? And there was really only one. Two at a pinch. All the others have different strengths but lack the versatility to be a one-and-only instrument.

So for those of us who have two or more instruments, which of them would you be happy with as a one-and-only? Which ones do you love playing but wouldn't want to have to play everything on?

(Let's not count one electric and one acoustic. If you like it both ways, you can count both instruments as "only guitars".)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited May 2023
    All things considered, my best guitar is the Maton WA May. I couldn't be happier with it. I can play anything on it, and whatever I play sounds as good as I could ask for.

It has just one fault (though I'm not sure if this counts as an actual "fault" in the true sense). It demands my full attention. I can't explain why or how, it just does. if I concentrate properly and give it a good solid pay-attention effort, the May responds beautifully. Lovely guitar. But you can't fake it. If you are a bit distracted, or just having a relaxed play on the couch, it plays like crap. (It's not just me. My brother, who is the real musician in the family, says the same.) It needs a firm hand. It was like that in the shop before I bought it and 12 happy months later, it's still the same. I love it, but it couldn't be my only guitar.

EDIT: JUST TO BE CLEAR, this one could NOT be an only guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 752
    My 52ri telecaster. Basically stock apart from compensated saddles and I changed the wiring from 50’s style to modern.
    if it all came down to it, this is the one I could turn up and play and be very happy doing so.
     I’ve played country gigs, pop, rock, very metal & rock & roll gigs with it and it’s never let me down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited May 2023
    I reckon my Bourgeois D18-style dread is the closest I've come to a "one guitar" acoustic solution. It's a monster for strumming or picking but I probably use it for fingerpicking more than anything. One day I swear I'll get my bluegrass on... 

For electrics I don't think it's quite possible but I'd pick my Danocaster 54-style Strat all day long and be happy 95% of the time. 

For basses, it's easy - anything that can't be done on a 60s style P bass isn't worth doing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    If I had to go down to only one it would be the Martin 00-18V. Differs from the standard with vintage appointments, lovely V neck and 2 1/4" spacing at the saddle. I play mostly blues/ragtime but when I do venture off into other styles it's more than capable. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    I've heard that the oo-18v was one of their best. I'm not keen on v-neck but yeah, had heard that. 

I remember you saying that about your Maton. 

For me, probably my original and now well-aged OM-02 as an all rounder. 
    For me, my Maton SRS60 custom with the cedar top is the one I could live with as a one-and-only. SRS60s are close to the bottom of Maton's range and I'm generally not so keen on dreadnoughts. This one has a non-standard cedar top instead of spruce, coupled with the standard Queensland Maple back, sides and neck. The combination is mellow without being boring, warm but still has plenty of top end ring. At least five and possibly all six of my other guitars are worth more in dollar terms, but this is the only one I'd happily have as a one-and-only.

(Hell, I did just that for a year. And then I thought it would be nice to have another one, just for something different. And then the rot set in. :( )
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    There *was* a time (I really can't remember when) when I had an HD35 and two Hummingbirds - the good old days!

But for many years now I've had just one at a time, so which one doesn't come into it for me. But I sympathise, it must be a terrible thing. 

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    I can play my trump card here- the Gibson Lifeson Axcess with its piezo acoustic output.

Job done.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 159
    gotta be my Huss & Dalton OM. And genuinely I'm considering selling the Martin I have even though its a great piece because that OM is next level. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • woodywoody Frets: 72
    Best guitar tom doerr trinity select.  (irw and carpathian spruce)  Best all rounder Bourgeois om custom(adi/madi)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited May 2023
    I only play at home so don't "need" to achieve a particular sound. So for me, an "all rounder" and "the one I'd choose to keep" aren't the same.

Best all rounder is probably my Martin dread or Collings dread. But the one I would choose to keep if rationing came in would be my Gibson Southern Jumbo 1942 Banner. Its the guitar I pick up most often, with a very distinctive voice. Its probably not very versatile....but then neither am I. My range of playing begins and ends with heavy handed strumming.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Gassage said:
    I can play my donald trump card here- the Gibson Lifeson Axcess with its piezo acoustic output.

Job done.
    FTFY
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    gotta be my Huss & Dalton OM. And genuinely I'm considering selling the Martin I have even though its a great piece because that OM is next level. 
    Damn.......... what's the model so I can YouTube it lol?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    I've heard that the oo-18v was one of their best. I'm not keen on v-neck but yeah, had heard that. 

I remember you saying that about your Maton. 

For me, probably my original and now well-aged OM-02 as an all rounder. 
    A few years ago Martin had the following 00-18v, OM-18/28V, OM-21 Special models in production, also the GE models. 

All really highly rated and not many seem to come up on sale second hand.  They seem to be some of their recent 'modern classics'. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Acoustic - Gibson Dove
    Electric - PRS Swamp Ash Special

All the others are nice to have but I don’t actually need them, I can play anything and everything I do on those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Is it specifically the bass response of a guitar that is meant to "deepen" over time? 
    edited May 2023

A few years ago Martin had the following 00-18v, OM-18/28V, OM-21 Special models in production, also the GE models. 

I have seen three or four of these for sale here in Oz recently, at prices to suggest that they are rather special instruments. Not from crack-smoking bedroom dealers either, reputable honest traders who have a very good idea of what stuff is really worth. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Hmmm...

I think my Brook Taw (spruce top, bubinga back/sides) would be fine as an "only" guitar. It doesn't take hard strumming (the top flubs out) but everything else is a joy. It fills a domestic room with piano-like loveliness and is easy to play. If I want loud, I have a K&K under the bridge just waiting for a cable. 

Since buying it in October, I've mainly played my Strandberg Boden NX6 for everything electric - but that was the idea - to get a single electric that met all of my band needs. But, at heart, I'd probably go for the MusicMan Silhouette (SSS) that I've owned for the past 33 years. It's got history and limitations (pickup choice, mainly, I'd like to try a HB/S/HB Steve Morse to see how that went). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    Tannin said:

I have seen three or four of these for sale here in Oz recently, at prices to suggest that they are rather special instruments. Not from crack-smoking bedroom dealers either, reputable honest traders who have a very good idea of what stuff is really worth. 
    I bought my 00-18v through reverb last year for less than the standard 00-18's go for. It's lovely condition, was collection only (probably helped with the price) so I made the 3 hour round trip to Durham to get it and I'm glad I did. 
    Regarding the V neck it's not overly pointy or too wide. I find it really comfortable and I don't have big hands, I'm 5'7" and my hand size is probably about average in relation to my height.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
    Ridiculous notion! If I had to then probably some sort of super strat, maybe a blade rh4.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited May 2023
    I only have one acoustic, my Norman.

Electric pretty much anything really (they all sound the same ;) ). Either my the Paul or my strat would be fine. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Tannin said:
    Chatting in another thread got me to thinking. I looked over my various guitars, good ones all of them, and thought :which of these guitars would  I be happy with as an only guitar? And there was really only one. Two at a pinch. All the others have different strengths but lack the versatility to be a one-and-only instrument.

So for those of us who have two or more instruments, which of them would you be happy with as a one-and-only? Which ones do you love playing but wouldn't want to have to play everything on?

(Let's not count one electric and one acoustic. If you like it both ways, you can count both instruments as "only guitars".)

Would be good to hear a recording of them all to hear the differences. 
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 159

Its the TOM-M. European spruce top with sinker hog back and sides. Got it from @GRBaldwin of TFB and have no regrets. 
    Holy shit.

I just tried a Santa Cruz H13 rosewood. 
    Not keen on the V neck but the sound was HEAVENLY. 
  • What a great topic… I’m heading out for the day but I will ponder this and contribute later
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    That’s like choosing your favourite child…

Its the TOM-M. European spruce top with sinker hog back and sides. Got it from @GRBaldwin of TFB and have no regrets. 
    Thanks - having played a few sinker guitars, I can definitely tell the difference in sound. Will check this later 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I read the title and my eyes were drawn to ‘only guitar’. I’ve subsequently broken out in shakes and a cold sweat. I’m finding the concept very difficult op. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve currently settled on a small number of acoustics. Like everyone in this forum, I’d have dozens if I could afford them and store them. I have been thinking about this topic over the past few years as I get older. It’s tough, but I think I would choose an A series McIlroy or Avalon
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Is it specifically the bass response of a guitar that is meant to "deepen" over time? 
    Not only that - it does, but there’s more to it. For me, the sound usually becomes ‘looser’ (which increases and deepens the bottom end) but also ‘softer’ (which mellows and sweetens the top end). Of course individual guitars don’t always change in the same way, but that’s been my experience with pretty much every old and new guitar of comparable types I’ve played - even ply ones many people don’t think age in the same way. Even Ovations!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson