Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rosewood Telecaster Kit Project - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rosewood Telecaster Kit Project

What's Hot
I ordered a rosewood telecaster kit from @GSPBASSES, which arrived yesterday. It looks great and it’s ideal having everything I need to build the guitar in one box.

I’m going to finish it with Tru Oil, probably using a slurry method. I have no idea how long it’ll be before I have time to sit down and do it, but hopefully it won’t be too long.

Here are a few more photos.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    That looks great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Looks nice! What pups did you go with? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Neilybob said:
    Looks nice! What pups did you go with? 
    I’m guessing BKP Yardbirds?
    :D

This should be good ….
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 752
    Blimey, that is awesome.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    Really nice, and rosewood is one of those woods that doesn't really NEED a finish, just a bit of oil to prevent it drying out, 50% of fingerboards are made with it.
    Should be up and running in no time, good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited May 2023
    That looks like a fantastic kit, and it will be lovely when finished.  I see a lighter wood line around the perimeter inferring that it's a "pancake" body.  Has it been chambered before bonding the slabs together?  If not I would anticipate it could be quite heavy, but I've got a couple of ash tele bodies on maple necks that are probably just as heavy and I still love them despite the weight.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    Thanks everyone. No update yet, but just wanted to add that Graham @GSPBASSES is great to deal with. Everything is top notch, I feel it is good value for money, and Graham’s been happy to answer questions. 

@BillDL it is chambered. The neck and body together are 5lbs 13oz or thereabouts. 

@andy_k Agreed, but I’d like to make it a bit more shiny. 

@TTony is correct - BKP Yardbirds. Graham had a couple of different sets to choose from. 
    Just a word on the choice of oil for the finish, IMO, Tung is quite hard to work with as it takes a while to set, I preferred to use multiple coats of Danish oil, which is a bit thinner and evaporates quicker. Lots of light coats is the answer, which is a true test of patience.
    Another one I quite like is available in Sainsburys, and comes in an aerosol, called Wood Silk, which is just a really thin beeswax.
    It protects the finish, and soaks in quite well on something like Ash, and I have had good results on walnut too.
    Rosewood is already quite an oily wood ( which is why it is often not finished over- just re-oiled ) so it is pretty difficult to get the same results as a hard nitro finish, as far as shine, I guess a high sheen is the best to expect, but it is easy to maintain.
    I have a solid rosewood neck on one of my strats, and I am not sure what to think about the tone of it, certainly something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Love it, and a perfect gas enabling moment -I’m now thinking about ‘needing’ one of these too which I wasn’t when I woke up this morning. Thank you. :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I'd agree with @andy_k on finish... keep it simple.

Danish oul will be a better bet than tru-oil if you want to keep it feeling its best.   Normally I would say tru-oil, but rosewood doesn't need as much protection as other woods.

The slurry method works great with Danish oil, and a rub down with natural briwax and 0000 liberon steel wool at the end  before a buff with a so ft clothwill leave it feeling amazing and give a nice natural looking  soft semi gloss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @andy_k and @WezV ;;

Thank you. I decided against Tru Oil on your advice, and resolved to buy some Danish oil. 

Then I remembered I had a bottle of this from a project I didn’t end up starting a couple of years ago.

I don’t know what it is beyond the description on the front, but it’s a sort of cloudy white colour. 

edited May 2023

It looks okay after two coats. Still need to give it some more coats and buff it. 

Edit: the body looks better in real life than the photo honest
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Well it looks great in the photos so must be amazing IRL.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    A water based oil is a new one for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    elstoof said:
    Same here.  I would have thought that, being "water based", it might have raised the wood grain and required a very fine sanding to remove the "fuzz" before reapplication.
    andy_k said:
    Another one I quite like is available in Sainsburys, and comes in an aerosol, called Wood Silk, which is just a really thin beeswax.  It protects the finish, and soaks in quite well on something like Ash, and I have had good results on walnut too.
    I bought a can of that in Asda a while back to polish up my wooden lounge tables but, after feeling the results, I applied it to a bare mahogany neck and was pleasantly surprised with the nice satiny feel without a trace of waxiness, and not slippery like a silicone based furniture polish.
    Interesting list of ingredients, none I recognise.
    Might be worth giving it a few thin coats, and then trying to forget about it for a couple of weeks before you try to polish it up.
    I do recommend looking for Woodsilk in Sainsburys if you get a chance, it is a pretty foolproof finish for all sorts of things.
    elstoof said:
    Agreed. It looks like they changed the name to “water based wipe on guitar finishing lacquer”. 
    Here’s a video showing the finish on the body after four coats. I did one more after and that’ll do. 

That's looking really nice.  I really like the bookmatching of the top and back.  I'm actually very envious.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Rich31k said:
    elstoof said:
    Agreed. It looks like they changed the name to “water based wipe on guitar finishing lacquer”. 
    It's not a lacquer either, unless you can redissolve it in water which wouldn't be good.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Rich31k said:
    Here’s a video showing the finish on the body after four coats. I did one more after and that’ll do. 

Terrible, I’ll take it off your hands for £50. ;)

Bloody lovely that, I am very jealous!!! 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    The photo below is how the Rosewood TC was chambered, it's exactly the same as if I was making a F hole TC.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    I would go naked and leave the pickguard off. The more of that body on show the better ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    In art  water based/solvent free oil paint and mediums including oils have been around for quite a while - I guess it's an offshoot of that process.  Modified Linseed oil gets used in art.
    Decided to put it together today. Took @lovestrat74’s advice and went without the pickguard. 

Here it is together. It still needs setting up, and the bridge pickup isn’t working in the middle position (I’ve messed up the electronics somewhere - the switch is a Gotoh VLX54, which made following wiring diagrams a bit tricky). The lighting isn’t the best inside. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Beautiful.

I love a bit of Rosewood (I have a couple of RW necks from Mr @GSPBASSES ), but that is whole-guitar beautiful, not just neck-lovely
    :)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    That looks great :+1: