Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Got me a beater... Vintage V300MH - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Got me a beater... Vintage V300MH

What's Hot
CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
I've recently gone down from 5 acoustics to 2, but they're both too precious for camping and festivals etc. 

The Vintage V300MH seemed to tick all the right boxes. I got bored of waiting for a secondhand one to pop up locally so ordered a new one for the princely sum of £170. 

It came today and I'm frankly amazed what that money can get you these days. Good fretwork (not a sharp edge to be found), lovely neck profile, truss rod needed no adjustment and the nut's been cut more sensibly than my last £3k acoustic.

Popped a set of Newtone Monels on and I'm very pleased. Action is at 2.8mm - could come down a touch but it's not bothering me enough to bother. 

I'm surprised how good it sounds with some fingerpicked country blues, and not a bad strummer for it's size either. A joy to play and serious bang for the buck. Old news, I know, but thought I'd share my experience. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I replaced mine with a Patrick James Eggle Jake Bugg model, but I sometimes regret selling it… it was the perfect ‘beater’ - the Eggle is just too valuable and fragile for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Happy NGD mate, sounds like you're well pleased. 

Congratulations :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    £170 - wow. The cost has edged up reasonably over time, too. I bought one 10 years ago for £150 so it's actually cheaper to buy one now than it was then! I also found that the frets were great and the whole guitar was, essentially, faultless.

It lacks a touch of brightness IMO, but that's to be expected, can be mitigated to an extent with string and pick choice and may be a plus for some players.

Great guitar. I'd venture that if you took one and put a different logo on the headstock, a lot of players would queue up to justify it being worth six or seven times the price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    A woman from work wanted to start learning and agreed to get a used acoustic, we went to a local shop and the vintage they had, natural version was best sounding in her price range. 
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    ICBM said:
    I replaced mine with a Patrick James Eggle Jake Bugg model, but I sometimes regret selling it… it was the perfect ‘beater’ - the Eggle is just too valuable and fragile for that.
    I lol'd... but now I'm unsure whether the egg(le)/'beater'/fragile pun was intended or not. 

Mellish said:
    Happy NGD mate, sounds like you're well pleased. 

Congratulations :) 
    I am most pleased indeed, cheers :) 

Clecko said:
    £170 - wow. The cost has edged up reasonably over time, too. I bought one 10 years ago for £150 so it's actually cheaper to buy one now than it was then! 
    A lot of places have them around £230 now. I chanced it on shady looking website, paid with paypal and hoped for the best. Arrived two days later!

I prefer a slightly mellow guitar for casual playing and the monels seem to suit it very well. They last me ages too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited May 2023
    I bought a Vintage V300MH last year. I really love it @Cryptid. Impulse buy during a "Cousin's Weekend" (piss up) in York when I was on the lookout for a parlour guitar, which it isn't, quite. More a 00. But very playable, lovely tone (with Monels too Martin MM12), reasonable build. I just did a simple setup and added a clear adhesive pickguard to mine.

Why buy a more expensive guitar when you can have such fun with one of these!

Would make an excellent first acoustic for a student too. I'm thinking of handing this on to one of the grandchildren if and ever they express an interest in the guitar when they get a bit older.

Well done. :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Cryptid said:

I lol'd... but now I'm unsure whether the egg(le)/'beater'/fragile pun was intended or not.
    No - I hadn't noticed until you said it :).

The Eggle is a very lightly-braced, all-solid-mahogany guitar that cost a really quite eye-watering amount new (at least compared to the Vintage), and I really wouldn't feel comfortable sticking a magnetic soundhole pickup in it and taking it down to a pub jam session... which the Vintage was ideal for.

But given the relative price differential - and even though I bought the Eggle second hand - the Vintage is the better value for money for certain. It's simply a very good guitar, and the price makes it a real bargain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    @DavidR I recall reading your NGD post about it. That and other's enthusiasm on here led me to believe it was the perfect candidate for my needs, but even then I wasn't expecting to be so satisfied with it. 

I gave it a good thrashing with a pick last night and was surprised at how much volume it was putting out. 

ICBM said:
    The Eggle is a very lightly-braced, all-solid-mahogany guitar that cost a really quite eye-watering amount new (at least compared to the Vintage), and I really wouldn't feel comfortable sticking a magnetic soundhole pickup in it and taking it down to a pub jam session... which the Vintage was ideal for.

But given the relative price differential - and even though I bought the Eggle second hand - the Vintage is the better value for money for certain. It's simply a very good guitar, and the price makes it a real bargain. I'm not too familiar with that model so had a look at a few videos - what a gorgeous little guitar!
     My old Spanish-heeled folk guitar is in similar territory but with it's very light build, bellying top and low saddle - I don't like taking it out the house. 

Already pondering what pickup to use with it. I have a Baggs M1 active which I love for fingerpicking duties, but very tempted to put an Anthem SL in (which cost a lot more than the guitar itself). 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Cryptid said:

A lot of places have them around £230 now. I chanced it on shady looking website, paid with paypal and hoped for the best. Arrived two days later!

But wait! There's more! Your Nigerian prince is in the mail.