Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cool electric guitar instrumentals to learn? - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cool electric guitar instrumentals to learn?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I can play one!
  • Focus - Sylvia

I have spent many years failing to master several:
  • Satch - AWMAWY
  • Vai - The Crying machine
  • Thomas Blug - Beauty
  • Vinai T - Amen (obscure but very nice)
  • Nudy22 - he binds the broken hearted (obscure but cool)
  • Top gun theme

The one I gave up before even starting due to serious widdle:
  • Andy James - The wind that shakes the heart

I need to try something different, what are other cool ones to have a go at? Obviously looking at my list I'm a bit crap, but happy to consider anything!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    edited May 2023
    Been enjoying working my way through Mateus Asato's 'Time' lately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sxardsxard Frets: 33
    Elliott Smith - Kiwi Maddog 20/20 is one that I've enjoyed playing for a while now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Drag Racer by The Doug Wood Band

It's better known as the BBC snooker theme 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Pete Thorn's 'Promise' is nice/short/manageable...go for it!
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    Apache by The Shadows
    Switch 625 by Def Leppard
    Albatross by Fleetwood Mac

And this of course
    Drag Racer by The Doug Wood Band

It's better known as the BBC snooker theme 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Here's a few melodic and not too shreddy ones I dig

Little Wing by SRV
    Santana Samba pa Ti
    Eric Johnson/alien love child - the boogie king 
    Khruangbin Dern Kala
    Jim Campilongo the prettiest girl in New York 
    Julian Lage Nocturne 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    I've been playing Buckaroo today!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Winny_Pooh said:

Little Wing by SRV
    Lenny - SRV
    Sabre Dance - Love Culture / Dave Edmonds
    The Supernatural - John Mayall / Peter Green
    Beck's Bolero

? Tubular Bells ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Thanks for the suggestions people, I shall give them all a listen and pick one or two. Ta!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited May 2023
    Marooned
    5am
    One of These Days.

YYZ
    Leave That Thing Alone
    La Villa Strangiato

Sleepwalk

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

There's also a blues classic

Hideaway (either Blues breakers with Eric Clapton or Freddie King)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    The Fleetwood Mac (Danny Kirwan) rendition of Jigsaw Puzzle Blues.  Good (but long) tutorial here.

The Chet Atkins rendition of the original harmonica tune (by Eric Spear) Meet Mister Callaghan.  It was also done by Les Paul.  The ventures did a "surf" version of the song, and a lot of other artists have done guitar covers of the song.  Chet played it differently on a few recordings and live.
    edited May 2023
    If we're taking Chet Atkins then Jerry's Breakdown is with a mention

were it not for the fact it's ridiculously difficult. It's in the pile of instrumental songs you try every few years and give up on after a couple of bars like Eugene's Trick Bag and Cliffs Of Dover

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    just about anything by Mogwai really. 
  • Hide Away - Freddie King
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    For the Love of God - Vai
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:
    I love that one! Some serious widdle though!
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 84
    How about

I’m Buzzed - Michael Landau
    The Night Rider - Jimmy Bryant
    Anything by Jim Campilongo
    anything by Khruangbin
    anything by Bill Frisell…albums to check out: Gone, Just Like a Train, The Bill Frisell Quartet, Ghost Town
    dick dale
    plectrum style arrangements of songs eg Beatles, Dylan…pick out the melody and fill the harmony in where you can

• LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 84
    I’m also like playing Follow Your Heart by John McLaughlin
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk

Check out Tom Conlon's version on YouTube. I know there's a Lap Steel on the original, but Tom shows a nice way to play solely on Guitar. Then do his Hawaii 50 Video  :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited May 2023
    axisus said:
    fnpt said:

Yes but it falls under the fingers so easily, it almost plays itself.

Surfing with the Alien is also easy
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    Europa by Santana
    country Boy Albert Lee, not quite an instrumental but a good work out
    Benny Hill theme

Btw is it true if you can play Surfing With The Alien , you can play the intro to Have I got News For You?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    fnpt said:

Yes but it falls under the fingers so easily, it almost plays itself.

Surfing with the Alien is also easy
    Ha ha! You say that but I have watched videos of you playing and you are way above my level! Still, it's a suggestion that interests me, I think I will try it (again!)
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited May 2023
    ^ yeah, definitely do; just watch what they do on their various recordings of those songs, you’ll be surprised, the fast bits are surprisingly easy. Steve Vai in particular has a few techniques that are really Vai-specific which he uses in a lot of his music and once you get the hang of them, he gets easier and easier to play like. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    The Loner - Gary Moore
    The Messiah Will Come Again - Roy Buchanan / Gary Moore.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

The Loner - Gary Moore

Another great choice that I forgot about!
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    My ones that I play

SRV lenny and little wing and scuttle buttin and texas flood
    andy timmons electric gypsy 
    sultans of swing
    mateus asato take the weather with you 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJxdnfwE/?t=1@axisus I feel your pain :anguished: 

As I love the original track, when I saw this vid I just had to learn to play it. That was 18 months ago ... and EVERY time I pick up my acoustic guitar now I make a point of playing it a few times, just to keep my hand in. It's now part of my acoustic repertoire :+1: 

Apologies if you don't play acoustic ... you could still play it on an electric though. I hope you give it a try.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJxdwhbJ/?t=1

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJxdnfwE/?t=1

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun